(PS5) Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart

gospvg

28 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Don't misrepresent what's happening here. Nobody is bothered about anyone criticising a game and nobody is trying to stifle 'debate'. 

No intended misrepresentation at all, trying to look at it from both sides. Some people like to vent frustrations out loud, and I agree Crich may have blasted the design a couple times too many, but maybe they seen this as a place to do it. So wanted to give Crich the option to talk about it privately, without being lambasted for trying to put their critical view across. I have debates at work daily regarding Skyrim, or BOTW or Resident Evil, and why I like some and despise others, and our vastly different tastes help us grow stronger as a team, and give us a better understanding of what’s in play.

I am not here to take sides, just want to make sure Crich can talk to me if he is anxious about getting banned for being reported but still wants a chinwag. Is that a big problem Marlew?

Now Crich may do this thing far too often, but I think some of the responses, like aye, calling him as dunce is bang out of line. 

2 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

I am not here to take sides, just want to make sure Crich can talk to me if he is anxious about getting banned for being reported but still wants a chinwag. Is that a big problem Marlew?

Now Crich may do this thing far too often, I honestly don’t know, but I think some of the responses, like aye, calling him as dunce is bang out of line. 

No problem at all, and I appreciate you offering to take the hit.

I understand you're trying to placate all sides. Good luck. 

I haven’t read most of the posts after the first few from CrichStand, but I remember the previous time I encountered this argument was in the Demon’s Souls remake thread.

To sum up…

Demon’s Souls : too easy

Ratchet & Clank : insane difficulty spikes

33 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

No intended misrepresentation at all, trying to look at it from both sides. Some people like to vent frustrations out loud, and I agree Crich may have blasted the design a couple times too many, but maybe they seen this as a place to do it. So wanted to give Crich the option to talk about it privately, without being lambasted for trying to put their critical view across. I have debates at work daily regarding Skyrim, or BOTW or Resident Evil, and why I like some and despise others, and our vastly different tastes help us grow stronger as a team, and give us a better understanding of what’s in play.

Now Crich may do this thing far too often, but I think some of the responses, like aye, calling him as dunce is bang out of line. 

Dude, don’t worry about it! I’m certainly not! :)

You’re clearly a decent, friendly, caring bloke, just trying to do the right thing. That counts for a lot and I do appreciate your concern, especially with what’s going on in the world right now.

It’s very clear to see what’s going on here though. There are certain individuals that love drama and control and at times use the forums as a way to put others down and in the process make themselves feel better. It’s pretty sad really. There’s also a lot of herd mentality on here at times too. People get shut down, discussion gets shut down, because they don’t hold the same opinion as the majority. Most people are friendly on here though and don’t act like fannys! Lol

I might repeat some points at times but I’m just putting my genuine opinions and thoughts out there. People are totally free to skip past my posts and not bother reading them. They’re totally free to block me so they don’t see them at all. I’ve blocked people and.......“POOOF” they no longer exist! 

The reality is that repeatedly choosing to go back to a thread, choosing to read someone’s post, choosing to get upset over them, choosing to then report them.......then choosing to repeat the process over and over speaks volumes about that persons mentality and what they’re about They then post insults or YouTube videos or misrepresent what you’re saying to bait you into responding, whilst complaining that the thread is being ruined. They repeatedly post stuff that’s not even got anything at all to do with the game or discussing the game, which actually does ruin the threads for people, because it’s not game discussion, it’s just a load of childish shite.

Anyway, pressing on.......that last level is absolutely phenomenal! Straight up some of the best stuff I’ve played on the PS5 so far. Seriously 10/10 stuff. Got a real Nintendo feel to it.

2 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I haven’t read most of the posts after the first few from CrichStand, but I remember the previous time I encountered this argument was in the Demon’s Souls remake thread.

To sum up…

Demon’s Souls : too easy

Ratchet & Clank : insane difficulty spikes

I think Demon’s Souls is an amazing game. I personally don’t find it a particularly difficult game for a number of reasons though. What’s that got to do with Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart discussion though, which is what this thread is for?

Yep, that’s right it’s for discussing Ratchet and Clank, yet bizarrely some people seem more interested in me! I’m flattered but can we just get back to game chat please. Or are folk going to post more dated Indie band vids that sound like my Nan’s hoover malfunctioning? lol

Aaaaaand finished. That last stretch really is something else. it’s all  about that last level! It’s not only a real showcase for what the PS5 can do technically, but one of the most action packed and outright fun levels I’ve ever played. Everything comes together perfectly and it’s chef’s kiss good! Going on that last level then this series is going places. Full game of that, bang in some quality platforming......SHAZAAAM......top tier game that Nintendo would shit a brick to have in their roster.

Overall it’s one weird Marmitey game. Don’t think I could even give it a rating as it swings so wildly from one extreme to the other. One minute it’s a 4 or 5/10 the next it’s a solid 8 or 9. Sadly, I think it’s far too much the former and there’s way too much downtime and not enough proper gameplay. Who’d have guessed it? Lol.

It’s well worth picking up though and giving it a go but would definitely recommend waiting till it’s patched if buying for young kids. In the last few levels I hit a wealth of glitches - from more puzzles that couldn’t be completed, to getting completely stuck inside scenery and behind walls, to the weapon firing but no projectiles coming out and doing any damage. Apparently there are a few game breaking bugs too which require you to restart the game from the beginning. Not kid friendly, unless you enjoy dealing with full on meltdowns!

Kind of reminds of an album that has 3 or four great tracks and the rest is filler. Some folk might enjoy the filler, some folk might not. But those decent tracks are proper bangers and it’s worth checking out.

Hey @CrichStand, I'll ask this though, clearly by the amount you've written about the game, it's a game you certainly wanted to explore with the forum, so what was it about it which inspired you to write so much? Presumably you don't do this level of analysis with every game you play, just wondering what it was about this entry in such a long running series, which inspired so much commentary?

For what it's worth I think you've written almost as enthusiastically about the elements you like as you have about the elements you didn't, so part of this is just your natural style of writing (which is fine), combined with what I think was the unnecessary repetition of certain points. As I said earlier, I didn't like Returnal, going into the Returnal thread and restating that position across a dozen posts really would have served to do very little but work on the nerves of the regular posters within it, no matter the analysis that sentiment was couched in.

Anyhoo, I hope you take this post in the spirit it's intended. 🙂

10 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Hey @CrichStand, I'll ask this though, clearly by the amount you've written about the game, it's a game you certainly wanted to explore with the forum, so what was it about it which inspired you to write so much? Presumably you don't do this level of analysis with every game you play, just wondering what it was about this entry in such a long running series, which inspired so much commentary?

For what it's worth I think you've written almost as enthusiastically about the elements you like as you have about the elements you didn't, so part of this is just your natural style of writing (which is fine), combined with what I think was the unnecessary repetition of certain points. As I said earlier, I didn't like Returnal, going into the Returnal thread and restating that position across a dozen posts really would have served to do very little but work on the nerves of the regular posters within it, no matter the analysis that sentiment was couched in.

Anyhoo, I hope you take this post in the spirit it's intended. 🙂

Hey man! Not sure really. I was just playing through the game and felt like posting my impressions as I went through it. It just is what it is. I think if my impressions had been positive no-one would have had a problem. I think all this drama has been whipped up over nowt, probably by someone that’s life is a veritable shambles and so they have to try and shit on other folks online to feel a bit better. Lol. 

I’m enthusiastic about games. I absolutely love them! I guess playing this I can see so much potential in it to be a truly great game and when it wasn’t making an effort and just fell into lazy or poor design I found it a real waste. Plus I it was £60. So I wanted my monies worth! :) Big shout out to all the anti-price hike warriors in the “fuck me, £70 for a game thread”. You were right on this occasion!

Dude, imo you should be free to let rip about Returnal as much as you like. I’d happily read your posts and listen to your viewpoint. If i got tired of it, I’d just stop reading. It’s that simple. It’s just common sense really. I mean, is it really that difficult to just skim past a post and not read it or hit the block button?

Yeah, no problems at all on my part mate. Enjoy  your day man!

Now, let’s leave that shit there and open up the floor for others to post about the game! 

I wish they'd done a little more with the time crystals in this. As with the rifts, they feel more like SSD proof of concept rather than fully developed new mechanic. They remind me of the pirate ship dungeon in Skyward Sword but without any actual puzzles attached to them. You tend to wander to the end of the path in one dimension and then just hit the crystal to open the path in the new dimension as there's literally nothing else you can do with them. It feels like they could wring so much more out of them.

I really enjoyed Cordelion though. Tightly paced, beautiful lighting and the light horror leanings gave it a flavour I don't think I can recall from the series before.

Finished. Loved every second. The final few levels were just immense fun and I managed to do 99.9% of it on highest difficulty (I had to drop it down for that arena level (you know the one)which could just fuck the fuck off quite frankly). It was a nice challenge but not too patience-wearing which is exactly what you want from a cartoon platformer shooter. I've jumped straight in to challenge mode to get those souped-up Omega weapons and thought it would be more fun to mop up all the armour and gold bolts I missed whilst doing another full run. I probably won't main it like I have this last week but as a fun 30 minute blast I can see myself coming back to this for a while. The challenge mode map has a stack more raritanium to farm now too so I'm up for maxing everything out.

I had no crashes, no bugs and it was a technical marvel the entire way through.

Gonna finish Last of Us 2 next, nothing like a change of pace eh?

9 hours ago, Majora said:

I wish they'd done a little more with the time crystals in this. As with the rifts, they feel more like SSD proof of concept rather than fully developed new mechanic. They remind me of the pirate ship dungeon in Skyward Sword but without any actual puzzles attached to them. You tend to wander to the end of the path in one dimension and then just hit the crystal to open the path in the new dimension as there's literally nothing else you can do with them. It feels like they could wring so much more out of them.

Yeah, totally agree. That’ was the point were I started to get frustrated with how a lot of stuff is under-utilised in terms of gameplay.

Soooooo, realised that I only needed one more trophy to get the Platinum on this but it requires another playthrough. Only got 1 Platinum, for Astrobot, so thought I may as well give it a go.

I’m skipping the mainline mini-games/puzzle bits, not collecting stuff, not bothering with anything optional, just zipping straight through the levels........and it plays LOADS better! Straight up action shooter, that really does have a lot in common with Returnal. The Challenge mode seems to push the difficulty up a few notches further too, so it’s a really good challenge throughout and you need to use your weapons and abilities properly to succeed. The bigger fights have been so much more entertaining. 

About halfway through the game already and where as before i felt it really dipped down in terms of gameplay quality with the mid game levels, now I’m really enjoying it.

I think this is one of those games that is an absolute must Platinum if you play it! Such a nice, easy but fun plat! Reminded me of Persona 5 Royal, vastly different in length and gameplay styles, but can platinum in a play through, or play through and a bit! 

I am done with the game now, but it is one that will be on my Christmas play it again list! Which is a short list (Castlevania SOTN, a FF game with speed mods and Alundra), So that says waves about its entertainment factor :). I will just NG+ blast the story!

Visually my eyes still hurt from how damn pretty it is!!!! 

I've blown through it, not being able to put it down and stopping just short of the final battle. 

I don't want it to end. 

The weapons! My god, the weapons! 

Whoever came up with the Shatterbomb/Shatterblast, deserves a knighthood. 

Topiary Sprinkler + Enforcer/Executor* = WIN!!  

*They really should sort that name difference out.

edit: A little digging tells me its name changes when you've got it to level 5. For me, that was super early in the game, so when I got to the Boomstick Blast challenge I was confused when it kept calling the gun the Enforcer. 

19 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

Executor is a pretty weird name for a gun. Did they mean executioner? 

it’s the name of Vader’s super star destroyer.

also: try to think of it as the person who carries out the wishes behest in a will, rather than a person who kills for the state.

exec-utor, not exe-cutor 

I'm a few hours into this now and enjoying it, up to the more open planet you explore as Ratchet, the one where you get the 

Spoiler

hover boots to zoom about on.

As many others have no doubt mentioned, it doesn't really do anything new but what it does do it does pretty well. The graphics and smoothness of the whole thing definitely do a lot of the heavy lifting. Exploration is a bit hit and miss, however; more than a couple of times I've tried to get somewhere in my search for collectibles only to met with an invisible wall and/or instadeath, which is pretty annoying. And I definitely feel like the more open areas would benefit from a minimap so you're not having to go into the menu every time.

Still, it's good, shiny fun.

Just had a really annoying bug, which could have been game breaking. Last of the Clank puzzles in the archives, and picking up an electrical orb doesn’t register, and there’s not even a slot in his 4-way inventory for an electrical orb, bizarrely it’s been replaced with the pre-order DLC Pixelator gun - a weapon that Clank can’t even use. He’s actually carrying the gun in the ‘VR’ level, with its starburst icon in his inventory, and 10 shots. You can even fire it, though it doesn’t interact with anything. Watched it on YT and that is NOT meant to happen. So weird. Puzzle is an insoluble roadblock as a result, thankfully you are allowed to skip any of the puzzles if you get stuck, but I’d done them all bar this last one and that has fucked me right off. 

16 minutes ago, Welrain said:

Just go back to an earlier save.  Select load for the title screen.

Oh, didn’t know you could do that. Assumed it was one save file. Not sure it would have played out any differently. Either way I’ve gone way past that bit now.

Finished the story today, the finale is some spectacle!  I enjoyed this game very much indeed, it felt very refreshing to me to play something like this since it's not my usual kinda thing.  Some of the weapons have excellent weight to them, escpecially once upgraded to max. I had a few little instances of getting stuck in scenery and found the double jump annoyingly awkward to register at times, but those are the only little gripes I have.  I only really bought it to see if all the pre release hyperbole about the graphics was just that (it wasn't) and it turned out to be a really pleasant surprise.

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Just had a really annoying bug, which could have been game breaking. Last of the Clank puzzles in the archives, and picking up an electrical orb doesn’t register

I've just had this bug too. There's a lack of polish throughout, in the mechanics at least. 

Lost count of the number of times I’ve died falling forever in the foot-wide gap between two crates, or other screen furniture. Or I’ve been slowly sliding down some daft Marcel Marceau invisible wall.

It’s incredibly pretty, and very well written, but the core game mechanics and controls that sit underneath the shinies are very rough in plenty of places.

I expect I’m right near the end now, and overall I’ve got to say that (as is usually the case) I find the Edge 7 is spot on.