(PS5) Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart

gospvg

5 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I seem to have a bug preventing me from getting the gold bolt in the third planet - there’s a virus infected console but I never get the button prompt to send the little droid thing in to clear it.

It’s a thing, apparently.

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

Struggled to get through level 8. Good Lord that is dull.

Arrived back at the battle arena with the Silver rank available. Considering I’m playing on the highest difficulty and yet there’s still been absolutely zero challenge at all in any of the main game, as it genuinely appears to be aimed at very young children......why are some of the Silver Rank battles, that the game states at this point I need to attempt in order to collect resources, as hard as mid to late game Returnal? Lol 

Playing these bits you realise just how good this game could actually be. It’s suddenly fun, it’s challenging, there’s actual proper gameplay involved and it’s action packed. It feels great, the game has suddenly got a spring in its step. Man, this game could have been something really special.

Because, as you state, this game is aimed at children and anyone aged above them, and the arena battles and difficulty options are there for people who want to be playing Returnal instead. I'm not the biggest R&C fan by any means but it's obvious why they pitched the game's difficulty this way, and it's probably to the developers' credit that they provide some more challenging options for more determined players, such as the arena fights on higher difficulty settings. If you've found a bit of the game that feels really special and challenging while the same game appeals to casual players going for casual 'completion', then I guess that's an indicator of some degree of success for the developers. The fact that the whole game doesn't feel like that sort of aggressive challenge out of the box is probably one of the many reasons (cutesy attractive characters, wholesome story, not a foreboding impenetrable unheroic doom-laden narrative) why R&C will sell a billion more units than Returnal which aren't anything to do with them sharing the same (it's SEVENTY POUNDS!?!) pricetag.

Question mark?

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

Because, as you state, this game is aimed at children and anyone aged above them, and the arena battles and difficulty options are there for people who want to be playing Returnal instead. I'm not the biggest R&C fan by any means but it's obvious why they pitched the game's difficulty this way, and it's probably to the developers' credit that they provide some more challenging options for more determined players, such as the arena fights on higher difficulty settings. If you've found a bit of the game that feels really special and challenging while the same game appeals to casual players going for casual 'completion', then I guess that's an indicator of some degree of success for the developers. The fact that the whole game doesn't feel like that sort of aggressive challenge out of the box is probably one of the many reasons (cutesy attractive characters, wholesome story, not a foreboding impenetrable unheroic doom-laden narrative) why R&C will sell a billion more units than Returnal which aren't anything to do with them sharing the same (it's SEVENTY POUNDS!?!) pricetag.

Question mark?

That’s certainly one way of looking at it. However, I’d say if 95% of the game has zero challenge whatsoever, even on the hardest difficulty level but, 5% of it (including a bit the game tells you to do in order to collect resources before moving on), is suddenly right out of the blue Returnal levels of difficulty then, it’s more likely a case of poor design, which is backed up by a lot of other poorly designed elements within the game. Not sure how you’d explain the following battle arena challenges are back to being piss easy again, yet the main level after suddenly has more combat difficulty spikes?

Some of the arena battles are more inventive and mix things up a bit, as well as being more challenging. They feel far higher quality than the rest of the game. They’re fun and contain pure undiluted gameplay. Why not take those parts that work brilliantly and are the game’s strongest point in terms of gameplay, and fill the game with them........instead of having loads of sections where you do nothing but walk or run down corridors for minutes at a time, or aimlessly collect 60 doodads scattered with no thought across a map, or jump over the same 3 identical platforms again, or are forced to play the really shit Mini games like the Virus one. Man, does that suck! From my experiences kids are most definitely not going to find that kind of stuff enjoyable. They’re more likely to get bored incredibly quickly and just switch it off. It’s cheap, lowest common denominator PSone era game design. You might enjoy playing through that stuff though just because the game has whizz bang graphics, that’s cool, different strokes for different folks. 

Also, if the game is meant to be for all ages then surely Insomniac should have built it around that, in the way that Nintendo do with their games? I mean, don’t make the game ludicrously easy and fill it with vapid shite and thus ruin it for more skilled players. Make it interesting and challenging and then just tone that challenge down for less skilled players, with an easier difficulty setting. Can always put harder optional stuff in there too. Unfortunately, outside of a couple of the battle arena challenges, even the optional stuff is mindlessly easy.

Exclamation mark!

23 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

That’s certainly one way of looking at it. However, I’d say if 95% of the game has zero challenge whatsoever, even on the hardest difficulty level but, 5% of it (that the game tells you to do in order to collect resources before moving on), is suddenly right out of the blue Returnal levels of difficulty then, it’s more likely a case of poor design, which is backed up by a lot of other poorly designed elements within the game.

But this is entirely subjective, this 'zero challenge' thing. Both in terms of how an individual perceives the difficulty of a game, and how you and others might react to whatever the 5% you appear to have thought a difficulty spike happens to be. I didn't find any spikes myself.

Also, if the game is meant to be for all ages then surely Insomniac should have build it around that, in the way that Nintendo do with their games? I mean, don’t make the game ludicrously easy and fill it with vapid shite and thus ruin it for more skilled players. Make it interesting and challenging and then just tone that challenge down for less skilled players, with an easier difficulty setting.

Nintendo don't generally build that in by offering different difficulty levels. I think most Nintendo games are trivially easy to play/complete for players of average competence/abilities. Then - sometimes - you get extra challenges to flesh that experience out for players who want it all. I prefer that approach, but you seem to be suggesting overall that Insomnia have failed by not making the whole of the game more (optionally) challenging by way of difficulty options or other design choices that would affect the core gameplay. That may be a valid criticism, but it's not usually Nintendo's approach to simply include 'easier' difficulty settings, so it's odd to cite them in that context.

There's tons I could criticise this game for, but lack of difficulty options isn't one of those things. They do provide a lot of difficulty options and modifiers throughout. In fact, I think difficulty options are sometimes a lazy way out of the issue of accessibility. I can understand why developers might just pull the +/- 20% dmg thing though - to try to appease different audiences. Because the alternative might lead to Returnal-level sales. (Not that R&C is even aimed at that audience, which makes including that in the same conversation as R&C a bit misjudged really.) 

1 minute ago, Gorf King said:

But this is entirely subjective, this 'zero challenge' thing. Both in terms of how an individual perceives the difficulty of a game, and how you and others might react to whatever the 5% you appear to have thought a difficulty spike happens to be. I didn't find any spikes myself.

Nintendo don't generally build that in by offering different difficulty levels. I think most Nintendo games are trivially easy to play/complete for players of average competence/abilities. Then - sometimes - you get extra challenges to flesh that experience out for players who want it all. I prefer that approach, but you seem to be suggesting overall that Insomnia have failed by not making the whole of the game more (optionally) challenging by way of difficulty options or other design choices that would affect the core gameplay. That may be a valid criticism, but it's not usually Nintendo's approach to simply include 'easier' difficulty settings, so it's odd to cite them in that context.

There's tons I could criticise this game for, but lack of difficulty options isn't one of those things. In fact, I think difficulty options are sometimes a lazy way out of the issue of accessibility. I can understand why developers might just pull the +/- 20% dmg thing though - to try to appease different audiences. Because the alternative might lead to Returnal-level sales. (Not that R&C is even aimed at that audience, which makes including that in the same conversation as R&C a bit misjudged really.) 

Yeah, you’re right difficulty is subjective. I’ve no doubt there are probably kids or even adults out there that might find this challenging in some ways. I just feel there’s a better way of making a game fun and challenging for all, than taking the “aim for the lowest common denominator” approach. That ruined so many games for a lot of people back in the 360 days.

To be honest, I even think the way they’ve handled the difficulty level on this is a cop out and poor design. It doesn’t really work and is possibly what is leading to the weird difficulty spikes. On the highest setting it seems to just add slightly more health and damage to the enemies, which really doesn’t achieve much, until there are loads of them onscreen in specific battles. I’d not even upgraded weapons or used any of the armour or stuff for most of the game. When I finally tried it to see what would happen it basically made the difficulty level even more redundant.

I mentioned Returnal initially, as did others, as the combat has similarities and so do certain weapons and abilities. The Boomstick Arena challenge also suddenly jumps to Returnal style difficulty levels out of nowhere.

I like games to be challenging, it’s where a lot of the fun comes from for me in games. It’s really frustrating to play a game that is way too easy, just as it is for someone that might find a game way too hard.

Ultimately, I find the design in this to be pretty shite. That’s my main issue with it. One of the best games I’ve played recently has been Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. No difficulty to it at all! However, i found it really engaging. That’s what’s missing for me here. The way 90% of the game has been designed just doesn’t engage me. It’s far too simplistic and far too generic.

Nintendo games have that whole “layers of an onion” thing going on. I know they don’t use selectable difficulty levels on stuff like Mario, however they make the core gameplay engaging. They then sculpt everything around that and use various devices to give the player the freedom to make the game harder or easier. I found Galaxy too easy, I could appreciate just how well designed it was. That level of design and the game’s inventiveness kept me engaged. That’s what’s missing here imo. They could have aimed for so much more but they haven’t. It does genuinely seem to be a game designed for and targeted at younger kids, not so much all ages. If folk enjoy it though then there’s nothing wrong with that! 

And finally, after fuck knows how many hrs of playing, and pressing on through some really dull and tedious levels, it kicks off and finally starts doing what I’ve been talking about!, and what the game appeared to promise from trailers and reviews. Why the fuck did they not just pack the game with stuff like the end of level 8 or the following sections? 

It’s like “here’s this really fun, blockbuster, rollercoaster ride, action packed AAA shooter, that contains really zippy combat and lots of fun weapons.........but forget that for now and instead.........how about some levels that just involve walking down lots of corridors, doing some really mind numbingly boring shite and completing tediously dull shoe horned in mini games, oh and easily collecting some pointless crap we’ve scattered everywhere, whilst occasionally having the same unchallenging repeating battle with the same unchallenging  repeating enemies for 20secs at a time”! Yeah, great idea! 

There’s 20% of the game where it makes the most of what it’s actually really good at and 80% where it’s just wasting time. The other way around then fair enough but the way they’ve paced this is fucking bizarre.

I’m on my 3rd play through of the PS4 game, what I enjoy is the fact it’s mostly exploration with a bit of shooting here and there, a few puzzles, rail ride section, hoverboard races and then a few sections that were a little bit more taxing. It was free of frustration, apart from the odd jump between rails, so is a more relaxing game than many. Don’t think I’ve even played it on the hardest difficulty. 

There are so many R&C games, the PS4 one was free recently, I think a few are on PS Plus so there’s no real need for anyone to get Rift Apart without knowing what sort of game they’re buying. The fact this sounds similar is a reason I’ve held off buying it for now.

My bit of generic gaming wisdom is that if you suddenly find a bit that seems disproptionately hard, you are probably doing it wrong. The technique you picked first to do the section almost works, so you keep plugging away the exact same way and failing, when in fact you've missed how the devs intended you to approach it. Then you'll do it on your twentieth try and exult only for someone to say "I don't remember that bit, must have done it first time"

So yeah, try a different strategy, it often works wonders.

The challenge where you have to defeat 25 enemies using only the enforcer does seem like an early difficulty spike to be fair. The enforcer is a really short range gun, the enemies are scattered around a lava filled arena so you have to either warp, jump or wall run around to get within range of them, if you run out of ammo you have to find the ammo boxes which might be on the other side of the arena. I left it for a while, upgraded the enforcer quite a bit, came back with a lot more health and still struggled on hard.

5 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I’m on my 3rd play through of the PS4 game, what I enjoy is the fact it’s mostly exploration with a bit of shooting here and there, a few puzzles, rail ride section, hoverboard races and then a few sections that were a little bit more taxing. It was free of frustration, apart from the odd jump between rails, so is a more relaxing game than many. Don’t think I’ve even played it on the hardest difficulty. 

There are so many R&C games, the PS4 one was free recently, I think a few are on PS Plus so there’s no real need for anyone to get Rift Apart without knowing what sort of game they’re buying. The fact this sounds similar is a reason I’ve held off buying it for now.

Yeah, I like the PS4 game too and am on my 3rd play through. It’s the only other game in the series I’ve played though. On the whole I’d say it’s probably a better game than this, however in the moments when this plays to the series strengths and does things right it’s really good. Oh, and the combat is miles better in this too. Feels and controls great because of the DualSense. Outside of that a lot of stuff feels simplified even from the PS4 version.

4 hours ago, Majora said:

The challenge where you have to defeat 25 enemies using only the enforcer does seem like an early difficulty spike to be fair. The enforcer is a really short range gun, the enemies are scattered around a lava filled arena so you have to either warp, jump or wall run around to get within range of them, if you run out of ammo you have to find the ammo boxes which might be on the other side of the arena. I left it for a while, upgraded the enforcer quite a bit, came back with a lot more health and still struggled on hard.

Yep, that’s what I was on about. The other challenges after it are back to being really easy again. There’s a challenge later on that has a big difficulty spike too. Then in the following main level a similar thing happens. They’re a couple of the bits I’ve enjoyed the most though! Lol. Noticed A Crack In Time is on PSNow so going to check that out at some point.

Oh and to anyone that’s reporting my posts for discussing a game on a game discussion forum. Just block me. Problem solved! :)

Play the game how you want obviously but I feel like complaining about Ratchet and Clank not offering a Returnal level challenge is completely missing the point of the game? Like it’s a family friendly casual game and it hardly tries to hide it. I could understand if you’d bought Elden Ring for example and that challenge was completely gone, but yeah. Kids game m8. 

Disclaimer - I blasted through the game on the easiest setting and loved every moment of it. Who has time to bang their head against a weird difficulty spike in an optional arena match? Just drop the difficulty and have it done with. More time for another game. 

33 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Play the game how you want obviously but I feel like complaining about Ratchet and Clank not offering a Returnal level challenge is completely missing the point of the game? Like it’s a family friendly casual game and it hardly tries to hide it. I could understand if you’d bought Elden Ring for example and that challenge was completely gone, but yeah. Kids game m8. 

Disclaimer - I blasted through the game on the easiest setting and loved every moment of it. Who has time to bang their head against a weird difficulty spike in an optional arena match? Just drop the difficulty and have it done with. More time for another game. 

I’ve at no point said anything about wanting a Returnal level challenge from Ratchet and Clank! I would like some kind of decent balance and challenge outside of difficulty spikes when playing on its hardest setting though. I’d like the game to build on the PS4 title. Sadly, imo a lot of the stuff here is a step backwards from the PS4 game. It feels a bit like Insomniac have attempted to follow a formula that’s been used in other big AAA PlayStation games successfully, but here it doesn’t really work iand make the most of the game’s really strong points. There are some absolutely brilliant set pieces and really fun battles, but they’re few and far between. 

And with regards to your disclaimer. Great! Glad you enjoyed and loved it!  But what if someone doesn’t want to drop the difficulty (not exactly the sign of a well balanced game) or play the game the way you have? It works both ways.

Still astonished by the graphics in this. Level 8 is a real treat after some of the other stuff and I love the enemies. The bit with....

Spoiler

The Pirate Disco.

Made me laugh, with the music playing and everything and reminded me of the sense of humour of the PS4 game, which has been lost somewhat on this one and replaced with a more Disney style story.

Just hit another really bad glitch which is again one of the weirdest I’ve ever seen on a game. On one of the Clank puzzle bits, a broken crate, which shouldn’t even be on the level is wedged in a mechanism rendering it unusable and so you can’t compete the puzzle and progress. Tried restarting a few times but it’s still there.

If anyone’s on the fence about this game, I’d definitely wait a bit until it’s had some patches, especially if it’s being bought for young kids.

Yeah my 10 or so hours with the game was flawless too. (null)

Skip Puzzle is an option if you’re truly stuck and want to continue having a bad time with the game so you can make more posts about how shit and badly designed it is. :hat:

I only encountered one near game and console breaking hard crash save issue as mentioned before. 

That was a worrying 15 mins... 

5 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Oh and to anyone that’s reporting my posts for discussing a game on a game discussion forum. Just block me. Problem solved! :)

There's a detailed post up the page showing how you keep repeating the same point over and over. It makes clear that nobody's against discussion of the game, but one person going over the same thing ad nauseum. It would help if you actually acknowledged that rather than pretending it's something else.

But you're right that others have the option to put you on ignore, and that's a far better option than resorting to insults.

48 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Yeah my 10 or so hours with the game was flawless too. (null)

Skip Puzzle is an option if you’re truly stuck and want to continue having a bad time with the game so you can make more posts about how shit and badly designed it is. :hat:

Paying £70 for.a AAA game and having to skip stuff because it’s impossible to finish due to major glitches and bugs. Welcome to next gen!

My young Nephew was playing that section and he got really frustrated as he wanted to solve the puzzle.. It wasn’t till I looked at it that I could see it had glitched again. I’m just putting it out there that if you’ve got young kids and are buying the game for them then the bugs are something to take into consideration. Having read up on other people’s experiences online it seems there are quite a few people having issues and apparently even some reviews that have brought them to light.

You seem to have missed out where I’ve said the game has astonishing  graphics, amazing audio, great controls, fun combat, quality set pieces etc etc. I’ve posted that in places it’s really enjoyable. I’ve also posted about a lot of negative stuff. All in, i’m just posting my impressions of the game.

Not aiming this at you.......Why that’s such a problem is beyond me. If you don’t like my posts then don’t read them! Put me on block. What kind of big stiff idiot keeps choosing to read stuff they don’t like and don’t agree with when no-one is forcing them to read it in the first place? Lol

I’m not attacking anyone, not insulting anybody, not telling people what to do or that they’re wrong about this that and the other. I came from the Edge forums where in-depth discussion, both positive and negative was actively encouraged. That’s what I come on here for - to discuss games and voice my opinion, both positive and negative. 

I absolute love the game, platinumed the beast in a couple days, but do not get frustrated at your personal experience with it. I disagree massively like, I think the joy of collecting and exploring is so much better than many others, as it is pretty focused and streamlined, where it rewards you for doing it, without it being too monotonous (bar one section, which actually becomes a whole lot better later).

I also need a good mindless session from time to time! Kinda like Destiny 2s strikes or Diablo 3 as a whole. I also think everyone is different. Not to stroke my own ego, but honestly I love being pretty good at difficult games or just good in general (several number one spots on the SMB leaderboards, was number 1 for all NG+ runs of Resident Evil 2 R for a long time). I love investing time and refining my gaming skills, even though I am getting old like. Games like Ratchet are designed to be fun wholesome mindless collectathons, with a heavy emphasis on pushing visual technology to make the world incredible to be in. I think it is super successful at everything it tries to achieve :). 

If you want to discuss it further pop me a message and I will chinwag when I can! I can see where people are coming from in terms of it souring the tone, but personally I love a good debate. Cheers Crich! 

9 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

I absolute love the game, platinumed the beast in a couple days, but do not get frustrated at your personal experience with it. I disagree massively like, I think the joy of collecting and exploring is so much better than many others, as it is pretty focused and streamlined, where it rewards you for doing it, without it being too monotonous (bar one section, which actually becomes a whole lot better later).

I also need a good mindless session from time to time! Kinda like Destiny 2s strikes or Diablo 3 as a whole. I also think everyone is different. Not to stroke my own ego, but honestly I love being pretty good at difficult games or just good in general (several number one spots on the SMB leaderboards, was number 1 for all NG+ runs of Resident Evil 2 R for a long time). I love investing time and refining my gaming skills, even though I am getting old like. Games like Ratchet are designed to be fun wholesome mindless collectathons, with a heavy emphasis on pushing visual technology to make the world incredible to be in. I think it is super successful at everything it tries to achieve :). 

If you want to discuss it further pop me a message and I will chinwag when I can! I can see where people are coming from in terms of it souring the tone, but personally I love a good debate. Cheers Crich! 

What a great post! Good to see someone so friendly, with an open mind, that likes a bit of discussion!

Good to hear you’ve enjoyed the game and why and to get a different take on things! Can totally see where you’re coming from with a lot of that. I’ve definitely enjoyed chunks of it and think it does a lot of stuff really well. Level 8 and the following section has been a real high point and what I was hoping for from all the trailers, previews and reviews. Wish there was more of that kind of stuff. Each time it starts to build momentum and I’m having fun the game seems intent on putting an end to it by cutting to a Mini-game or more story exposition or I hit another bad bug/glitch.

Just playing it now and unfortunately have hit another few big ones. It’s something Sony definitely need to sort out, as having so many bugs in a £70rrp game is not going to go down well with a lot of people, especially when some of them require skipping parts of the game or having to restart completely.

But yeah, anyway..........cheers to you too man!

Now on the final level and fuck me.......it’s doing all of the things I’ve been talking about it doing. It’s almost like Insomniac have heard every last point I’ve made and addressed them all.

The combat is fucking brilliant at times and writing it off as just a “simple 6 or 7/10 game series that’s never going to amount to anything more” is absolutely nuts. This is now showing that when it’s cracks, it CRACKS! This could genuinely be up there with the best of the best. 

You need to use cover, you need to use all the abilities of Rivet, the environment and enemy placement is designed around the combat so that you have to use cover properly, the enemy waves aren’t just the same repeating encounters, the weapons all come into their own and need to be used carefully. Sections are now giving me Halo vibes but mashed up with an arcade shooter. 

The game is also no longer building up and then cutting away and interrupting the flow with pointless crap, it’s whipping along and letting me get stuck into the action and have fun. The difficulty level is suddenly through the roof hard and really challenging too. The section I’m on is proper nails! It feels like just as the game is ending it’s finally hitting its stride.

3 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

Don't misrepresent what's happening here. Nobody is bothered about anyone criticising a game and nobody is trying to stifle 'debate'.