IGNORED

(PS5) Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart

gospvg

1 minute ago, Marlew said:

@Kryptonian I am sorry that my frustration at all the console war shite on here led to a number of reports (well deserved).

I'm not going to report a load of posts, I'm not convinced that's very helpful, but if you get time over the coming days I'd be interested in your perspective on the relevant thread in Feedback. 

I’ll have a look - I wasn’t the most ideal person to pick this up actually as I’ve not been around much lately and will probably now find out that there’s some other issue I’m oblivious to 😬

1 hour ago, Thor said:

For NG+ I now have it in the hardest setting and it's great fun but still quite easy. 

The arena challenges on this difficulty are not easy! I've tried the Boomstick blast challenge several times now and am getting annihilated. :lol:

45 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

I’ll have a look - I wasn’t the most ideal person to pick this up actually as I’ve not been around much lately and will probably now find out that there’s some other issue I’m oblivious to 😬

For reassurance, there's no grand issue that's suddenly sprung up or which needs urgent attention. 

Finished this over the weekend and absolutely loved it. A really fun adventure with a simple but effective story and cool characters, it felt substantial without overstaying its welcome.

A refreshing change of pace after Demon's Souls and Returnal and Mass Effect etc. and I'd gladly play more of these in the future.

Just finished it. Really good fun. It doesn't do anything new but the presentation just elevates it to another level. 

The final 3rd is brilliant. There are some dull momemts but overall it's a great game. 

*My console did a weird crash though and I got some report about corrupt saves and had to unplug the console as nothing worked not even the power button. Plugged it back in and it wouldn't boot up. . I was worried but after 2 more attempts it was OK. 

Heh, I've hit a game breaking bug on my NG+ playthrough. Collecting all the zurpstones on Sargasso and then collecting the spybot reward stops the sticks and face buttons from working on your pad. The d-pad, start, share, and touchpad all work. But the sticks and main buttons, nope. I reloaded an earlier save, collected all the zurpstones again. Same thing. I already did this on my original play, so this is avoidable by simply not finishing that little sidequest.

I'm better news, yesterday I did manage that fucking arena challenge. Skip to halfway through for the successful run.

EDIT: Video should start at sucessful run now, just for you @Uncle Mike :D

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

No, you trim your video. Lazy!

Ha! I thought I'd include the failures to show how tough it is. Besides, the successful run is literally the mid-point of the video. Actually, I was on my phone when I posted, I can probably grab the link to the midpoint via desktop.

Completed it last night with a completion percent of about 85% I think and 15-16 hours on the clock. Played it in fidelity mode and on normal difficulty.

It's pretty good though I felt it peaked in the middle, the final level(s) not quite matching the holy-shit of Torren IV and Blizar Prime events.

8/10

Back on this and while the graphics are absolutely astonishing the same can’t be said for the gameplay. I mean it’s basically sub 1990’s generic platformer stuff and feels very simplistic and dated- collect 12 doo-dads, hunt down 60 purple things that have been randomly scattered over a level with seemingly very little thought etc.

I’ve found 11/12 and 59/60 which basically just involved lots of running from one to another and picking them up, no real platforming or puzzles to solve or anything. I’ve now spent over 2hrs just wandering around aimlessly trying to find the last 2, which seems almost impossible given the size of the levels involved. 

It’s a pretty weird game. Incredible cutting edge graphics and tech, married to often archaic and incredibly generic gameplay.

Nope, can’t for the life of me find the last purple thing. It’s really, really rubbish dated design. Wasn’t fun back in the 90’s and it’s even less fun in 2021! Think I prefer the PS4 game to this now, there was more to it and the script was actually quite funny in places, unlike this.

Skipped to another level and straight away get a really weird glitch. The cutscene shows the landscape.......and then gets stuck there, whilst I’m still able to control Rivet off camera. Had to quit out of the game and reload to fix it. I then went back to an older level, entered a pocket dimension and.......the game completely locked up requiring another restart. Without the flash bang ultra graphics I’m not too sure whether I’d be still playing.

What the actual fuck!?!? Every time I now start Blizar Prime the camera gets stuck showing the landscape in the cutscene and I can’t progress. Looks like my game is totally fucked. Brilliant!

Edit - Yep, 20hrs on the clock and my game is totally screwed. Loading up from fresh its checkpointed  on  the intro to Blizar Mine and gets stuck in the cutscene. Rivet is offscreen but I can get back into the ship by moving her and tapping X. Whenever I return to Blizar Mine though the cutscene gets stuck and I can’t progress. Worst glitch I’ve ever encountered in a game. Certainly not what you expect from a AAA £70 title at all. 

Anyone got any ideas why this would even be happening? I can exit and play the other levels as normal but every time I go back to Blizar Mine the cutscene fucks up and I can’t progress. Seems well odd!

I realise it’s too late now, but if you click on the collectibles on the touch-pad map you can set an in-world waypoint marker, which makes stuff trivial to find. That last purple doodad might well be in Rivet’s den, under the mountain with the dishes on. That’s were my last one was.

I’ve not been to Blizar yet, but have read of others having that same glitch too. Might be to do with going there, then bailing out and going somewhere else before completing the Blizar objective. Pretty shocking QA either way. 

I dropped through the floor once and briefly got stuck on scenery whilst jumping but other than that, bug free. I had a couple of “bullshit!” moments where I thought I died unfairly.

My only real complaint is that it’s relatively short.

10 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I realise it’s too late now, but if you click on the collectibles on the touch-pad map you can set an in-world waypoint marker, which makes stuff trivial to find. That last purple doodad might well be in Rivet’s den, under the mountain with the dishes on. That’s were my last one was.

I’ve not been to Blizar yet, but have read of others having that same glitch too. Might be to do with going there, then bailing out and going somewhere else before completing the Blizar objective. Pretty shocking QA either way. 

Appreciate the help mate!

Yeah, when I first went to Blizon Mines it loaded up fine, however right at the start Clank says something like “without for the toxic crabs”. On that first go only one crab appeared. I then didn’t seem to be able to progress so left to go back and try and finish collecting the purple things on the other level.

Now I’ve come back the camera gets stuck but you can still get stuff to play out. Clank shouts “watch out for the toxic crabs” but about 4 or 5 appear. Looks like something went wrong when I first went to that level. I then exited and now when going back it’s totally screwed the game. Weird how I can play all the other stuff though it’s just that one cutscene that’s fucked the entire thing. 

Took a while but just figured out a solution for anyone that might encounter the same problem.......

When the cutscene gets stuck you can still control Rivet. Push up on the stick and get her into view on the camera. Hit the Crystal and trigger the Crabs. Let them come to you so you can see them and kill them. After that there should be a large door that opens to the left but off screen. Get Rivet through it and well on the other side (just keep pressing and jumping around). Then pause the game and select “Restart checkpoint”. The game should now be back to normal with you past that first section!

Proper Gamesmaster style shit right there! Lol.

Edit - When you originally go there if multiple crabs don’t spawn then I’m guessing the glitch will probably happen. Maybe you can avoid the stuck cutscene at that point by just choosing “Restart Checkpoint”. On my first go, when everything seemed ok, one crab appeared and on killing it the door that’s supposed to open didn’t and I couldn’t progress, so headed to a different level.

Aaaaaand have now progressed further into the level to a bit where a machine needs to be used with a button prompt. You can see the white dot come up signifying it’s useable but the button prompt doesn’t appear, so you can’t operate the machine and thus you can’t progress in the level. Fuck me!

Aaaand finally got that to work after a few restarts then got stuck in the shop, couldn’t exit at all and had to restart. Aaaaand then got stuck in some scenery and had to restart. 

The bugs I’m running into in this are just insane, especially considering the gameplay is pretty much non-existent. The design is atrocious, absolutely mindless stuff. I mean there are bits where you have to jump over platforms that spout lava. Be careful! Or not, as jumping into the lava does pretty much no damage at all, rendering the whole thing utterly pointless. And I’m playing on the hardest difficulty. Or there are bits where you use the magna boots to walk up 3 surfaces and just press circle to jump between them, before returning back to normal platforms. What’s the point? I’m not sure, cause it adds absolutely nothing to the gameplay at all whatsoever. Which sums up half the stuff on the game. 

Also the combat sections are few and far between. Most of the game is just walking/running along doing a grand total of fuck all. When you do get to a combat bit, most of them just entail strafing left and right whilst spamming the same weapon over and over. Again, it’s totally mindless. There may as well only be one or two weapons on the game too, the rest are pointless. And then.......you’re back to walking/running through a highly simplistic linear level for another 5mins+. 

Everything in the game is incredibly superficial. Take the amazing graphics and audio away and this is a 5/10 at best. It’s nowhere near as good or charming as the PS4 game and that wasn’t exactly the greatest game ever made.

I've been enjoying the game a lot so far, and am near the end, but I did have a really bad issue at one point that resulted in me literally having to turn off the plug socket at the wall to shut down my PS5.

In the first level where you have to

Spoiler

hit crystals to switch dimensions as Rivet,

my game soft locked during the transition between dimensions. During the soft lock, my game attempted to save. None of the buttons were responding, and nothing was happening other than my character standing there with a white background. I pressed the PS button and attempted to get back to the PS5 OS so I could close the game, but the buttons wouldn't function. After a short while, I was able to press the PS button, and then confirm a return to the dashboard, but I wasn't able to select anything - the start button did nothing, everything was locked. I hit the power button on front of the PS5, and it attempted to shut down (white light on the system started pulsing), but nothing happened and the OS remained on the screen. After a few minutes, I hit the power switch.

My save was corrupt and I had to rebuild the PS5 database, but thankfully I was able to recover an earlier save. On second attempt, after trying again the next day, I was able to progress fine.

This felt like a super nasty issue - I've never had a systems local OS lock up before like this. Has anyone else seen something like it?

@Lupin Central My mate had similar when his PS5 was on the way out. Eventually it just didn’t turn on at all. I’d guess it’s more likely to be the game though, as I’ve had a few lock ups and crashes plus all the other weird bugs and glitches whilst playing it but no problems at all with any other games/apps.

This game is so frustrating to me because it could clearly be an exceptional game. The basic combat is there. If they just tailored and balanced each weapon, the gadgets, the abilities to a varied set of enemies........designed the environments around combat so you need to use cover, the rift mechanic, your moves etc then it could stand shoulder to shoulder with some of the best games around. 

Same goes for the platforming. It’s pretty much non existent. Instead of having loads of dead playtime where you’re barely interacting with the game, why not have proper well designed platforming sections, that are fun to traverse? You have loads of well designed abilities and gadgets but they’re not used for anything of worth. It’s such a waste.

Then there’s the Pocket Dimensions which are laughably bad. These could be used for Mario Sunshine style void levels. Really push the boat out and get inventive with the platforming. Or you could have Bayonetta/DMC style combat challenges. Or even varied races/time trials. 

There’s so much potential and the game could be so much fun and jam packed with brilliant gameplay. Whilst the set pieces and on rails sections can be fun, pretty much all of that potential is pissed away. Instead it’s just flashy graphics and bombastic audio, papered over some incredibly poor and generic game design.

19 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

@Lupin Central My mate had similar when his PS5 was on the way out. Eventually it just didn’t turn on at all. I’d guess it’s more likely to be the game though, as I’ve had a few lock ups and crashes plus all the other weird bugs and glitches whilst playing it but no problems at all with any other games/apps.

This game is so frustrating to me because it could clearly be an exceptional game. The basic combat is there. If they just tailored and balanced each weapon, the gadgets, the abilities to a varied set of enemies........designed the environments around combat so you need to use cover, the rift mechanic, your moves etc then it could stand shoulder to shoulder with some of the best games around. 

Same goes for the platforming. It’s pretty much non existent. Instead of having loads of dead playtime where you’re barely interacting with the game, why not have proper well designed platforming sections, that are fun to traverse? You have loads of well designed abilities and gadgets but they’re not used for anything of worth. It’s such a waste.

Then there’s the Pocket Dimensions which are laughably bad. These could be used for Mario Sunshine style void levels. Really push the boat out and get inventive with the platforming. Or you could have Bayonetta/DMC style combat challenges. Or even varied races/time trials. 

There’s so much potential and the game could be so much fun and jam packed with brilliant gameplay. Whilst the set pieces and on rails sections can be fun, pretty much all of that potential is pissed away. Instead it’s just flashy graphics and bombastic audio, papered over some incredibly poor and generic game design.

The thing is that it is a Ratchet and Clank game. None of the things you mention are tenets of the series. It isn’t astrobot. It isn’t Mario. It isn’t returnal. It is, and probably always will be a light shooter platformer with niceish graphics that’s a 6 or 7 / 10.

which is fine. I’ve enjoyed the first five planets or so

1 minute ago, footle said:

The thing is that it is a Ratchet and Clank game. None of the things you mention are tenets of the series. It isn’t astrobot. It isn’t Mario. It isn’t returnal. It is, and probably always will be a light shooter platformer with niceish graphics that’s a 6 or 7 / 10.

which is fine. I’ve enjoyed the first five planets or so

Yeah, I get that. I enjoyed the PS4 game. I’ve enjoyed parts of this too. I’ve said that multiple times and been praising the graphics and audio. Thing is, reading some of the reviews for this you’d think it was the 2nd coming! I mean some mention head scratching puzzles, how it’s loaded with fantastic ideas, top notch inventive platforming etc. No idea what game they’ve been playing but there’s none of that in Rift Apart.  It’s a AAA £70 game. The graphics and audio show that. The gameplay doesn’t. The glitches and bugs certainly don’t either. 

Saying it’s always been a basic 6 or 7 out of 10 type game so they should just knock another basic 6 or 7 out of 10 type game out is bizarre. There’s clearly been a monumental amount of work put into the graphics and audio. They’ve done an exceptional job. It’s almost obscene putting so much into those things but then not really making any effort with the actual gameplay itself. 

Following that same logic.....maybe Nintendo should have just carried on making Mario as an 8-bit platformer? Or carried on releasing 2d Zelda games and not made any effort to advance the series forward? 

I just think there’s so much wasted potential here. It could easily be an exceptional game, packed with exceptional gameplay. I’m just voicing my opinion and stating that I’m disappointed that the design and gameplay is so derivative and that some of it would have been poor even back on the PS2.

Also, how come when you post “this game is great” nobody seems to have a problem. However, as soon as you have a negative view on something folk get really tetchy? Having balance and seeing things from both sides is a good thing!

Can see there’s  someone responding that I’ve blocked. I’m guessing it’s along the usual lines of trying to stop me posting stuff that’s negative, or “your a troll”, the usual insults etc. Boring! Just block me youth! :)

Anyway, whilst the Blizar planet was poor imo, though visually incredible, the Fixer planet was alright if far too short. The game definitely gets better when it’s sticking to what it’s best at, which is big on rails set pieces and out and out combat. Think I’m coming to the finish now and will then sell it on. Speaks volumes that I’ve played through the PS4 game twice and was on my third play through recently.

I’ve just come of off playing about 80 hours of Returnal to play this and I really wish I’d played something else first.

This is a good game, a really good game. At any other time I’d be enjoying it, just as I did with the previous versions, but compared to the sublime, tuned to the nth degree controls of Returnal it feels ……. off.  
I think his would be a problem with any 3rd person shooter I played now. 
Think I should play a different genre and then come back.

The problem is definitely mine. I comparing it to a game it isn’t trying to be. 

9 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Can see there’s  someone responding that I’ve blocked. I’m guessing it’s along the usual lines of trying to stop me posting stuff that’s negative, or “your a troll”, the usual insults etc. Boring! Just block me youth! :)

You blocked me because you didn't like me pointing out your tendency to make the same point over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over with your fingers in your ears.

A Crack In Time is still the best Ratchet game and I think it comes closest to what @CrichStand is looking for. The Ratchet puzzles are a lot more plentiful and challenging than the puzzles in this and there are lots of little planetoids you platform around Mario Galaxy style that are more substantial than most of the platforming in this also. It's still only ever ok as a platformer because the moveset and challenge just isn't there but it's the Ratchet game with the best balance and variety. 

Rift Apart is at its best when it's a tightly paced, set-piece driven action game. The first 90 minutes or so where it really propels you along are the best of the game so far, probably helped by the fact the opening city is also the most jaw-dropping and atmospheric. I find it starts losing its way when it scatters 50 doodads haphazardly over an environment with no real thought or challenge. 

There's nothing inherently wrong with collecting shit but at least put them behind little platforming sections or traversal puzzles or something. Just scattering them around and then marking them on the map on top of that so you're just kind of milling around picking up stuff for the sake of it like it's DK64 is dull.

I just finished the mining planet which was alright but I'm hoping there are more sections like the opening city to come.

13 minutes ago, Majora said:

A Crack In Time is still the best Ratchet game and I think it comes closest to what @CrichStand is looking for. The Ratchet puzzles are a lot more plentiful and challenging than the puzzles in this and there are lots of little planetoids you platform around Mario Galaxy style that are more substantial than most of the platforming in this also. It's still only ever ok as a platformer because the moveset and challenge just isn't there but it's the Ratchet game with the best balance and variety. 

Rift Apart is at its best when it's a tightly paced, set-piece driven action game. The first 90 minutes or so where it really propels you along are the best of the game so far, probably helped by the fact the opening city is also the most jaw-dropping and atmospheric. I find it starts losing its way when it scatters 50 doodads haphazardly over an environment with no real thought or challenge. 

There's nothing inherently wrong with collecting shit but at least put them behind little platforming sections or traversal puzzles or something. Just scattering them around and then marking them on the map on top of that so you're just kind of milling around picking up stuff for the sake of it like it's DK64 is dull.

I just finished the mining planet which was alright but I'm hoping there are more sections like the opening city to come.

Yeah, I agree. The early sections have been the best so far, along with the Fixer part which is similar. It’s a shame it’s over so quickly. Going to a planet and it’s done and dusted within 20-30mins feels a bit underwhelming. Definitely feel like the pacing is off in places and it doesn’t really build on a solid opening.

Totally agree about the “collectathon” stuff too. It’s just lazy design.

I’ve never played A Crack in Time, as I didn’t own a PS3. Will have to see if it’s on PSNow and give it a go. The first Ratchet and Clank I played was the PS4 game. 

Would love to see a new Jak and Daxter game, along the lines of the first title but fleshed out a bit, with these visuals.

Struggled to get through level 8. Good Lord that is dull.

Arrived back at the battle arena with the Silver rank available. Considering I’m playing on the highest difficulty and yet there’s still been absolutely zero challenge at all in any of the main game, as it genuinely appears to be aimed at very young children......why are some of the Silver Rank battles, that the game states at this point I need to attempt in order to collect resources, as hard as mid to late game Returnal? Lol 

Playing these bits you realise just how good this game could actually be. It’s suddenly fun, it’s challenging, there’s actual proper gameplay involved and it’s action packed. It feels great, the game has suddenly got a spring in its step. Man, this game could have been something really special.