Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

14 hours ago, Ferine said:

If you shoot the cylindrical canisters with their matching element it will trigger an explosion.

Some machines also have elemental storage sacks – like the large containers on the Bellowbacks – but those can be ruptured from regular impact damage. In other words, you don't need to fuss about matching elemental damage, just him them as hard as you can.

A fairly common complaint of Forbidden West is that there are too many elemental types. If you want to simplify that side of things, I'd suggest prioriting:

• An accurate bow with Fire arrows, for triggering canister explosions.
  • A bow with Shock arrows, for both targeting canisters and building up the stun status effect on machines by shooting them wherever.
  • A decent source of Frost damage, like a Bomb Sling, so you can quickly build the status effect and make machines more vulnerable to other damage.

As elemental status effects don't stack on enemies – if you apply another it'll get rid of the earlier one – it's easy to spread yourself too thin by trying to have a tool for every single element on hand. As such I think most players will have a better time by focussing on the above to start with, perhaps expanding their repertoire once they have access to a wider selection of weapons.

Thank you too for this; had an hour or so this morning and makes much more sense now. I think I didn’t really pay attention during the onboarding, wrongly assuming I’d just fall back into the combat patterns naturally.

Went back and attempted the first hunting ground. Got the shock explosion working thanks to the posts above. Haven’t complete the trial yet due to not nailing the timing of the shockwave that affects surrounding machines, but it’ll come.

Not quite ready to take on a Thunderjaw in the wild but getting betting bows and using coils for stat boosts. Think I’ll do a few main story missions to defog some more map, then work through some side missions and errands to level up a bit more as a few available side missions are a few levels above my current status.

Much more in tune with the combat now. Been triggering Blaze explosions pretty regularly. Got the shock trial too (it was a case of waiting rather than rushing in, and still finished within 1m18s) Feeling cocky, I approached a Thunderjaw site. I got absolutely rinsed :lol: What I do like about the game is relearning what is effective against each machine.

Levelling up nicely though, and clearing the map bit by bit. Took on a cauldron, although now reached a point where I'm low on certain items so need to go on a machine hunt. Vaguely remember the first game being similar; a cycle of there being plenty of resources until there isn't leading to a bit of time restocking. Still, it's a fun world to be in, especially when the topography of the map gets more varied.

Passed 30 hours now, and is a lovely game to get lost in. Enjoy that it’s flexible too. Reached a fight that I didn’t have the patience to continue on normal, so dropped down to story for that bit without any loss of flow to the story.

Best tip I got from reading elsewhere is to turn the pick-up animation off. Makes collecting resources much more efficient, especially in battles. But you probably knew that already.

Reckon I’ve de-fogged around a quarter of the map now. I probably need to fast travel a bit less though, have certainly skipped uncovering more than I would have had on a mount.

Dear diary:

Now approaching 40 hours. Ventured into the Arena last night… :lol:

What a frustrating experience, even on normal. Had a couple of goes and just got stuck in an animation loop of being stunned, staggered and unable to do anything much besides barely dodge the next attack. Combat in the game world feels far more forgiving, which I guess is the point but in all honesty didn’t have the patience to unlearn my play style (which is much more cautious) so as with a previous mini-boss fight just stuck the game on story to get some medals. Cheesy but, again, like that the game is one that allows flexibility on the fly so everyone can enjoy all aspects of the game at their pace.

And turned on climbing annotations which has probably prolonged the life of my Dualsense’s R3 button life by a few years. Doesn’t feel intrusive at all, and more like a setting Aloy would have on her focus anyway.

Will do the last branch of the multi-thread main story mission that I’m on, as each one appears to be allowing progress with blocked paths, then go exploring a bit more I think.

Finally got around to playing this, despite buying it on launch. Man......the graphics are absolutely outrageous! The fidelity, detail, depth of colour and the HDR........just stunning!!! Audio is amazing too, especially on headphones. Great use of 3D audio. Walking into Plainsong and hearing all the singing was a real highlight of this gen so far. Enjoying it far more than the first game,  probably because it’s such a whizz bang next gen showcase! The first proper Cauldron looked well swish.

100%. The HDR makes a huge difference. Absolutely stunning. Been playing AC Origins on Series S recently and been really impressed with the HDR on that too. In fact I reset the TV up using the Xbox guide and that game. Jumped back to the PS5 and it’ made a big difference! 

Had my first feeling of being overwhelmed when opening the map tonight. It’s MASSIVE.

But decided to clear some jobs, then some side missions. Spent about twenty minutes hunting animals, and remembered why upgrading pouches makes life a lot easier.

Love the contrast between the different areas, particularly…

Spoiler

…encountering Clawstriders in a hot and humid jungle. Half-expected Aloy to mutter “clever girl” when she reached them.

Passed 50 hours now, having such an enjoyable time with the game.

After remembering I needed to upgrade pouches last session and spending some time hunting, this session I remembered you can just buy resources from vendors :facepalm: Still, with the time saved I polished off a half-dozen side missions, mostly around Plainsong. Seen an area of fogged map I bypassed so will head back east and clear some of that. The game does like to keep throwing missions your way. One lady at a campfire offers a new rumour every time I see her.

My next mission, besides actual missions, is to find some decent weapons. Feel like I haven’t paid my bows as much attention as necessary and sort of just bumbled along with what I’ve found. Tried the spike-thing  for the first time earlier and they’re actually pretty useful.

On 20/10/2022 at 22:19, glb said:

Passed 50 hours now, having such an enjoyable time with the game.

After remembering I needed to upgrade pouches last session and spending some time hunting, this session I remembered you can just buy resources from vendors :facepalm: Still, with the time saved I polished off a half-dozen side missions, mostly around Plainsong. Seen an area of fogged map I bypassed so will head back east and clear some of that. The game does like to keep throwing missions your way. One lady at a campfire offers a new rumour every time I see her.

My next mission, besides actual missions, is to find some decent weapons. Feel like I haven’t paid my bows as much attention as necessary and sort of just bumbled along with what I’ve found. Tried the spike-thing  for the first time earlier and they’re actually pretty useful.

Just headed back to Plainsong myself to mop up some missions after completing the Aether section of the game.. Been enjoying just wandering around hunting animals to upgrade stuff for the last hour or so.

Can’t get over how good the graphics are. Absolutely astonishing looking game, levels above anything on Xbox and considerably better than any of the other big games on PS5. The textures, the fidelity, the level of detail, the draw distance, the lighting, the depth of colour, the stunning implementation of HDR........all running flawlessly at 60fps. Incredible! It’s pretty much CGI level shit! There have been times when I’ve just been sat with my jaw wide open, drinking in the graphics. 😁

13 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Just headed back to Plainsong myself to mop up some missions after completing the Aether section of the game.. Been enjoying just wandering around hunting animals to upgrade stuff for the last hour or so.

Can’t get over how good the graphics are. Absolutely astonishing looking game, levels above anything on Xbox and considerably better than any of the other big games on PS5. The textures, the fidelity, the level of detail, the draw distance, the lighting, the depth of colour, the stunning implementation of HDR........all running flawlessly at 60fps. Incredible! It’s pretty much CGI level shit! There have been times when I’ve just been sat with my jaw wide open, drinking in the graphics. 😁

Totally agree, it's such a lush looking game and one where the different areas do actually feel different, to the point where I change Aloy's outfit if she's in snow because otherwise the poor lass will catch her death up the mountains in her flimsy Carja gear. Think I need to play around with the settings to get the best out of my TV but the 60fps is as smooth as silk regardless.

Also treated myself to a pair of Pulse 3Ds for a bit more immersion when playing this and future games. The sound design in the wilds is stunning, and really adds another layer of beauty to the world. Makes me want to go back and play some recent games, as the last one I recall playing with headphones on throughout was Dead Space 2 (headphones, dark room, thoroughly recommended :lol:) Also very happy I'll be able to wear them on trips to Night City once HFW is sewn up.

6 hours ago, glb said:

Totally agree, it's such a lush looking game and one where the different areas do actually feel different, to the point where I change Aloy's outfit if she's in snow because otherwise the poor lass will catch her death up the mountains in her flimsy Carja gear. Think I need to play around with the settings to get the best out of my TV but the 60fps is as smooth as silk regardless.

Also treated myself to a pair of Pulse 3Ds for a bit more immersion when playing this and future games. The sound design in the wilds is stunning, and really adds another layer of beauty to the world. Makes me want to go back and play some recent games, as the last one I recall playing with headphones on throughout was Dead Space 2 (headphones, dark room, thoroughly recommended :lol:) Also very happy I'll be able to wear them on trips to Night City once HFW is sewn up.

Have you got an Xbox? I initially gave Forbidden West a quick blast then jumped into AC Origins on Series S and messed around with the HDR in the game menu. Decided to set the TV picture and console HDR up again, using the Xbox calibration apps. Origins now looks stunning! That good that I’ve played through it again. 😂

Then redid the PS5 HDR. First 2 options clicked till the sun completely disappeared instead of just visible. 3rd option set it to the lowest/darkest setting. Tried Horizon again and was totally blown away by it. The HDR is next level, best I’ve seen. 

As you say the audio is amazing too. Been using headphones pretty much exclusively for years now (Sennheiser 599), and the 3D Audio on the PS5 is awesome! Returnal is probably the best I’ve heard so far. 

Really like how there have been sections in this, that I’ve discovered whilst wandering around, but can’t progress until I’ve unlocked more gear. Feels a bit Metroidvania! The underwater swimming and gliding have really added a lot too.

Thank you :), I’ll give those settings a whirl; pretty much just chose 60fps then impatiently dived in!

Do have an Xbox but upstairs! Will check out the app though, sure it can teach a lummox like me a thing or two.

And totally converted on headphones. Should have most of Saturday to get lost in the world. Will charge up the Pulses and may even seek out a Thunderjaw…

Can someone give me an indication of how far through the main story I am please? I'm on a quest called 

Spoiler

Gemini

and it feels like it could be close to the end, but I'm also sure there's a major equipment item I don't have yet so maybe I'm a ways away. 

Just wondering if I should spend some time upgrading my gear, or if I can hold off a big farming session. 

Okay, so, much like the first Horizon, I dropped this after a few hours for, erm, reasons.

Since completing TLOU Part I I've picked this back up.

26 hours played and I'm at the final mission with every intention of going back in and doing the side missions / collectibles etc.

It's really ramped up, the story has been engaging and I've got used to the "busyness" of the graphics - the game is just stunning!!!

Played about 30hrs of this now and every single time I boot it up for a session, it absolutely floors me with how totally insane it’s graphics are. There are not many games that I can think of where 30hrs in, you’re still being blown away by what you’re seeing and what it’s doing graphically. It’s literally levels above everything else this gen. Can’t see how any of Microsoft’s upcoming big games are going to get anywhere near this, or even how Sony’s own games will top this. If God of War looks better than this then......well, it’s making my head hurt just thinking about how nuts the graphics will actually have to be. 😁

Anyway, just got to a desert area at night that looked absolutely astonishing, and then when the sun came up over the mountains and the landscape was transformed......proper stunning! Gameplay is great too. In one session I’m hunting animals for upgrades, stealthing around taking out rebel camps, facing action packed boss battles with huge machines, doing side quests, exploring the environments for ruins and hidden areas, slowly uncovering the map which is HUUUUUGE but thanks to it’s visual variety doesn’t feel stupidly big (although it clearly is, as 30hrs in I’ve only covered half of it and only done a fraction of the stuff I have uncovered). Unlike the first game, it all holds together brilliantly and its keeping me coming back wanting to uncover more and see where things go next. It’s a quality game!

Edit - Oh man, ended up pulling an all nighter on this. Got to......

Spoiler

Las Vegas.

Just couldn’t stop playing! Got a new bit of gear and explored the depths. Graphics go through the fucking roof and then carry on into space! Easily one of the best open world games ever made. Never going to happen but would love to see Sony get the rights to Tomb Raider and give it to these guys to do a proper job with it. Would be immense.

On 31/10/2022 at 02:36, CrichStand said:

Played about 30hrs of this now and every single time I boot it up for a session, it absolutely floors me with how totally insane it’s graphics are. There are not many games that I can think of where 30hrs in, you’re still being blown away by what you’re seeing and what it’s doing graphically. It’s literally levels above everything else this gen. Can’t see how any of Microsoft’s upcoming big games are going to get anywhere near this, or even how Sony’s own games will top this. If God of War looks better than this then......well, it’s making my head hurt just thinking about how nuts the graphics will actually have to be. 😁

Anyway, just got to a desert area at night that looked absolutely astonishing, and then when the sun came up over the mountains and the landscape was transformed......proper stunning! Gameplay is great too. In one session I’m hunting animals for upgrades, stealthing around taking out rebel camps, facing action packed boss battles with huge machines, doing side quests, exploring the environments for ruins and hidden areas, slowly uncovering the map which is HUUUUUGE but thanks to it’s visual variety doesn’t feel stupidly big (although it clearly is, as 30hrs in I’ve only covered half of it and only done a fraction of the stuff I have uncovered). Unlike the first game, it all holds together brilliantly and its keeping me coming back wanting to uncover more and see where things go next. It’s a quality game!

Edit - Oh man, ended up pulling an all nighter on this. Got to......

Reveal hidden contents

Las Vegas.

Just couldn’t stop playing! Got a new bit of gear and explored the depths. Graphics go through the fucking roof and then carry on into space! Easily one of the best open world games ever made. Never going to happen but would love to see Sony get the rights to Tomb Raider and give it to these guys to do a proper job with it. Would be immense.

Yeah, the location you’ve spoilered is glorious, especially after finishing a quest there.

Up to about 80 hours now, and while there isn’t anywhere quite as beautifully unexpected as the above, you’ve got plenty of lush scenery to enjoy discovering :)

40hrs in now and still having a blast with this. The graphics are still blowing me away. Have gone from windswept desert, to Rocky Mountains, to lush Amazonian forest, to Sandy beaches and rolling waves, to climbing giant Redwood Trees.......all in one session. Every last area absolutely jaw dropping! It’s one of those games where just the lighting, or time of day changing, can have your jaw dropping to the floor. Astonishing looking game.

The gameplay is gelling more and more too. Stealth, action packed battles, wandering along chilling out and exploring, climbing/platforming and using the grapple/glider, diving underwater and checking out the depths, simple environmental puzzle solving. It’s all sooooooo much better than the first game. Only complaint I can find, is that the map is now absolutely rammed with stuff to do. Just looking at it is totally overwhelming. It’s fine when playing and in the gameworld but.......the map screen itself is pretty off putting with just how many icons there are everywhere. 

2 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’m getting annoyed with this now. It happened again only this time an enemy is stuck in rock underground and I can’t kill them to finish the mission. Everyone’s still running round in battle mode and the enemy is shouting insults.

Can you lay a trap near them, then shoot it with an arrow to damage them? Or Chuck an explosive spear? Sounds like you’ve been unlucky with glitches; I’ve played almost 90 hours and not experienced similar with enemies.

Think I’ve got two main missions to go. There are still bits of the map with fog over them, and so many side jobs and errands, but want to wrap this up and get back to Cyberpunk for the rest of the year.

9 minutes ago, glb said:

Can you lay a trap near them, then shoot it with an arrow to damage them? Or Chuck an explosive spear? Sounds like you’ve been unlucky with glitches; I’ve played almost 90 hours and not experienced similar with enemies.

Think I’ve got two main missions to go. There are still bits of the map with fog over them, and so many side jobs and errands, but want to wrap this up and get back to Cyberpunk for the rest of the year.

I didn’t think of that. I reloaded and luckily it had saved mid-mission. I think I get glitches because I tend to play messily. Rolling everywhere and melee, rather than slowly stealthing it.

1 minute ago, Monkeyspill said:

I didn’t think of that. I reloaded and luckily it had saved mid-mission. I think I get glitches because I tend to play messily. Rolling everywhere and melee, rather than slowly stealthing it.

I spam the roll button during fights. Stealth works up to a point but more often than not I end up hooning around the scenery like a drunk acrobat. More than three enemies and I get so flustered.

Hopefully you won’t encounter any more scenery issues. The only thing I’ve experienced that’s taken me out the game is when hunting: sometimes I go to loot an animal I’ve just shot but it disappears. Not a game-breaker but still a bit odd.

• 4 weeks later...