Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

On 02/03/2022 at 12:49, Danster said:

New patch, spoilered for length

Reveal hidden contents

Includes:

"Aloy will not mention her stash quite as often as before."

:D

If she's proud of her moustache then I think it should have been kept in.

I'm quite a way through this (I think) and trying to mop up a lot of side missions and cauldrons etc before finishing the story off.

Spoiler

I've just finished cauldron Iota which is the one with a tallneck in it.

I've been impressed by a lot of things in this game so far but the scene where Aloy is stood on its head as it rises out of the cauldron just blew me away.

I can't believe we've progressed from Pong & the Atari VCS to this in my lifetime. Absolutely stunning.

I loved the first Horizon.

Loved it!!!

LOVED IT!!!

Which is why I'm finding it more than a little odd that I'm not absolutely adoring this one. 

I'll be honest, I don't think it is the fault of the game, but me. I'm struggling to find the time to devote to this multi-hour epic and get properly stuck in between work, looking after three small children and worrying about the end of the world.

It's not the kind of game you can play in 30 minute bursts either. You tray need to commit some sizeable chunks of time to get involved in it.

Hopefully soon.

2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Which is why I'm finding it more than a little odd that I'm not absolutely adoring this one. 

I'm not liking Aloy so much in this one. She seems to be a bit more arrogant this time around.

1 minute ago, smac said:

I'm not liking Aloy so much in this one. She seems to be a bit more arrogant this time around.

My thoughts too. I understand why they've taken her this route, but it almost feels like EMO Peter Parker in Spiderman 3 - I love Pete, but he's not being Peter when he looks like a tit. 

However, I'm still incredibly early on in the game, and have put it on pause whilst I finally play Breath of the Wild (history repeating itself, just five years later I guess), so Aloy's just going to have to remain miserable for a while longer.

9 minutes ago, smac said:

I'm liking the people around her much more; they're a nicely varied and realistic bunch of people to talk to.

Definitely - and they're so much better animated this time around too. Everyone has a soul this time!

17 minutes ago, TommyG said:

what’s the best way to upload these photos? 

I've got a Twitter account, for sharing screenshots only, which is a good way to get shots into the internet easily. Link your Twitter and then share directly from your PlayStation.

Then you can download, copy paste the image or link to the tweet.

3 minutes ago, Danster said:

I've got a Twitter account, for sharing screenshots only, which is a good way to get shots into the internet easily. Link your Twitter and then share directly from your PlayStation.

Then you can download, copy paste the image or link to the tweet.

Awesome thanks dude. Not sure if this is better quality or not but here is the Link

Aloy has always had that twinge of frustration about her, but I think it’s her treatment of a certain spoilerific character that is making me not like her at the moment. Fully expect that to be deliberate and pay off later mind you.

I’ve moved away from the main quest to dabble in some side quests and they’ve been great. Really like how a small request often ends up being an epic adventure and how characters you’ve helped turn up in cities reminding you of that bit you did hours ago. 

On 25/02/2022 at 15:22, Vemsie said:

So much so that Elden Ring's combat felt a bit boring in comparison, even though I love exploring its world. Crazy though how much better this game performs while looking two generations ahead graphically.

Oh Vemsie please, don't debase yourself like this. 

Just finished the Gemini mission...

Spoiler

Fuck you Guerilla, killing fucking Varl. Bastards. :blah:

Ooh I can fly, cool!  :)

The end story is calling, but do I finish and then clear up the map? Or clear up the map then finish... I'd kinda like to go into the final missions with all my legendary gear fully upgraded.

I think the main issue with this game is there is too much of it. There are some brilliant quests, some mediocre ones and some just bad repetitive ones. I think there could be one third of the content and the game would be better for it. 

Maybe I’m not far enough in yet (50 hours), I don’t agree with the complaint about repetitive quests- even all the tallnecks I’ve done so far are different! There’s none of the cookie cutter environments or quests that you seen in standard open world games. This has had some real care and attention paid to it, and shouldn’t be put in the same league as standard Ubisoft bloat games.

46 minutes ago, Retroguy said:

Maybe I’m not far enough in yet (50 hours), I don’t agree with the complaint about repetitive quests- even all the tallnecks I’ve done so far are different! There’s none of the cookie cutter environments or quests that you seen in standard open world games. This has had some real care and attention paid to it, and shouldn’t be put in the same league as standard Ubisoft bloat games.

No my main point was not that I found them repetitive. I am literally saying there’s too many of them. and as a result there’s a lot of average ones. So I will start a quest in a town and end up thinking it was just ok not realising there was a brilliant one right next to it. There’s so many that it makes the really great ones hard to find. 

4 minutes ago, Oz said:

No my main point was not that I found them repetitive. I am literally saying there’s too many of them. and as a result there’s a lot of average ones. So I will start a quest in a town and end up thinking it was just ok not realising there was a brilliant one right next to it. There’s so many that it makes the really great ones hard to find. 

But you literally said there were ‘bad repetitive’ ones?

I’m loving the amount of well-crafted quests. Instead of most games where I just want to get them done to clear my list, in this I’m really enjoying having that many to go through. With maybe the exception of the bandit camps, I’m finding each quest really fun and adding to the world and characters.

On 28/02/2022 at 10:43, Pob said:

I definitely agree with the climbable surfaces one as it's quite arbitrary what can and can't be climbed. I quite like the way they're represented in the HUD as well - the HUD isn't fugly like Far Cry, for example. However I do like the move to make the resources only viewable when you pulse R3 as it declutters the HUD and removes the temptation to constantly deviate to pick up resources. Now you can just click R3 if you're exploring a camp or looking for plants. It's good that there are so many options to toggle though.

One thing I've done is removed the '?' from the map as it was just so distracting. I'd rather discover things organically rather than become an obsessive icon-clearer. 

@Pob how do you turn the ? Off I can't see an option for it in the custom hud?

Finished the story last night, and looking at the trophies left to get, should be able to easily platinum the game.

It was a most enjoyable romp, through an incredibly beautiful world. Some annoyances, the climbing still doesn't quite work for me, there's more freedom than the first game but there's nearly always a preferred path. And sometimes it was frustrating to see where they wanted to go, but you just can't. Having said that, most of the time comes were rewarded with absolutely stunning vistas and a botw style glider to enjoy the scenery on the way down.

Aloy's internal monologue does get annoying from time to time. It's useful at times, when you're stumbling through a room for the sixth time and she says, what about that vent... Yeah thanks for telling me now! And yet if you go into that room and the first time she says what about that vent, then it's also annoying. It's a fine line to tread in helping too much or too little. Overall I appreciate it, I think. But would also like it if she just shut up for a bit!

I was most impressed by the swimming. Usually, the most frustrating part of a game, but they didn't expect too much of you. No weapons allowed, some sneaking, an extension of the joy of exploring. Underwater caves, lakes, rivers, facilities, even the ocean, all had their own characteristics and were an interesting place to be. But mostly just controlled well and so being underwater was not a frustrating place to be.

The story arc was good but

Spoiler

I think I would have preferred it to be resolved fully. Instead we've got a "here comes the next big bad!" situation. Gearing up for a third installment I guess. If they do go for a third I wonder whether they move away from Aloy and perhaps explore the East coast of the states instead, with new main characters. Perhaps even have Aloy as an NPC or something. I dunno, but I guess there's plenty of score for more stories in this world.

They continued Aloy's story from the first game very well indeed. They fleshed out her character and gave her a chance to change (you've got to keep remembering she's still very young in the game). The npcs in the game were also pretty great, a good selection of types, with vocal talent and hours of script to rival RDR2, no mean feat.

Also, so many great female characters! Very refreshing.

All in all, a very pleasant way to spend my time (nearly a hundred hours). Good story, wonderful world full of interesting nooks and crannies and decent characters, combat when I want it, chill when I don't. 

Just finished this after 60 hours or so. Mostly brilliant, some minor complaints.

Spoilerific comments below:

Spoiler

Thee complaints first.

It occasionally feels like they've crammed too much in. Everything that worked in the first game is now ramped up to 11.

Too many weapons, too many choices, too many "go and find a random person" quests. It could have lost 25% of its content and still been brilliant.

At the start of the game, Aloy seems like a bit of a dick. This massively improves as the game plays out and the team dynamic/partnerships become stronger though.

I don't want to have to push a crate around ever again.

Now onto the good stuff.

It's sooooo good looking. Even the end credits where Aloy is flying round on the sunwing as the credits roll is stunning.

There's a lot of variety in the world and the super shiny environments in the Zenith base at the end make a real stand out contrast to the vegetation and dust of the rest of the game. Absolutely beautiful and often awe inspiring, the cauldron where you rise out on a tallneck is a real stand out moment for me.

Combat is very satisfying. Blowing bits off machines or taking out a rebel camp never felt so good.

I love the story in this, the Zeniths and Ted Faro are obviously based on modern day vain tech billionaires like Bezos, Musk etc.

I'm not sure how they can make a third if Nemesis is going to be a god level threat that destroyed an ancient civilisation in hours.

The new characters (and the return of Erend) really made a great team, but poor old Varl, he's the new Aerith/Aeris. I really felt it when he got done in.

It's very strong on representation and positive role models for a diverse range of society. Great to see so many strong characters that aren't just the cliched bald headed white space marines.

The glider makes traversing long distances from the tops of mountains a breeze.

The whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhppppppp noise the pull launcher makes through the controller never gets old.

Swimming was actually quite enjoyable. I usually hate underwater sections in games.