Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

I’ve been pressing on with the main story mission despite being under levelled to keep a bit of challenge and it’s working out great so far. Got up to some tribal shenanigans last night, did a lot of climbing and gliding, met some fantastic characters and smashed up a bunch of very aggressive machines. Basically everything I wanted in a sequel so far. Realised I’d not been spending my skill points so looking forward to trying out the melee combos and working out the valour system.

Another few hours down last night and I am totally hooked, loving the interplay of relationships between your friends.

If you've been to the desert to get the second of the three things, then this spoiler should be okay to read... soz, trying not to spoil what are the best bits of the story for me so far.

Spoiler

I particularly like the way Aloy is reacting to Beta. Whereas with everyone else she seems to care (yeah she's very focussed on her "mission", but she asks how they're doing etc) Beta just seems to annoy her and rub her up the wrong way. I thought that was a really good bit of writing - especially how Varl seems to be the mediator between them. It's like, not to go to deep, nature versus nurture. Aloy and Beta are the same person, so nature-wise their brains are the same. But Aloy was raised by Vost - who was stern and strict, but obviously loved her very much. Whereas Beta has been raised by arseholes, who treated her as a knowledge dump - which has brought out all sorts of issues in her. Thought it was a smart bit of writing.

Also her seeming initial disappointment that Varl and Zo have gotten together, which seems to be morphing into acceptance.

It's either really good writing or I'm reading way too much into it - either way I'm invested.

Anyhoo, why am I enjoying the swimming so much in this? I usually hate swimming in games, but in this it is really good. 

@DansterI react the polar opposite to what you describe in your spoiler. I am not on board at all, in fact I skip through most conversations now (also lowered the difficulty to Story because life's too short). I'm here for the cool robot machines and the exploring.

3 minutes ago, df0 said:

@DansterI react the polar opposite to what you describe in your spoiler. I am not on board at all, in fact I skip through most conversations now (also lowered the difficulty to Story because life's too short). I'm here for the cool robot machines and the exploring.

Ha fair enough :) I did wonder if I'm thinking things that aren't really there. :D

11 minutes ago, df0 said:

It's a really interesting one because I think it's well scripted, well acted and the character models and animation are out of this world... But I just don't have the time to invest. It's a real shame, but also a real lesson in respecting the player's time. I just wish the cutscenes were all a lot more concise. I also struggle with how some conversations can be sped up and some can't. Invariably now I'm completely skipping the latter. Having said all that, I'm still loving it as a whole.

It reminds me of Final Fantasy XIV where cutscenes and conversations go on and on and on while nothing is being said. I am all for flavour text but do not waste my time please.

In Forbidden West, I watch cutscenes and conversations related to the Main Story, everything else gets skipped including those linked to important side characters.

I've only just been able to properly make a start on this, and I'm still right at the beginning of the game. 

Is it me, or has the actress who plays Alloy been told to dial up the earnest to maximum? Everything she's currently saying is just said in full on emotion and as it stands it feels distinctly odd compared to how good I thought she was in the first game. I'm aware that world-ending stakes might have something to do with that, but it's only been a few months since she kicked the arse out of HADES.

In contrast, Vaarl has discovered a huge chunk of personality and I like him a lot.

And finished at 100%. Gorgeous open-world that failed the captivate me. Ubisoft/10. Story spoilers below.

Spoiler

Why is Aloy so hell-bent on saving Earth? What's to save? Savage tribes? Drunken friends? Emotionally damaged deadweights? I sided with Sylens until he decided to stay. Also, the story got ridiculous, I fear for what's Horizon 3 is going to be/do.

10 hours ago, df0 said:

And finished at 100%. Gorgeous open-world that failed the captivate me. Ubisoft/10. Story spoilers below.

Hide contents

Why is Aloy so hell-bent on saving Earth? What's to save? Savage tribes? Drunken friends? Emotionally damaged deadweights? I sided with Sylens until he decided to stay. Also, the story got ridiculous, I fear for what's Horizon 3 is going to be/do.

Spoiler

Isn't it obvious? She wants to be closer to her 'mother', so she 'becomes' Elisabet and tries to walk her path. It's a pretty tropey child-parent relationship imo.

I'm not entirely sure I'm enjoying this as much as I thought I was going to. The gameplay is almost exactly the same on the surface, but the tweaks they've done to the combat make it less about having a decent strategy and more blind luck as to whether you kill your target or not. 

The controls seem desperately chunky in 30fps-mode, yet playing in performance mode makes everything too hyper - almost as if someone has pressed a fast forward button and there's no way to stop it. Precise targeting is so much harder in this game that it was before, and I don't like it much!

Even those beautiful, beautiful graphics don't seem to fit as well as I initially thought - climbing the landscape was something fun in the original, but now it's a fucking chore to do in most cases.

I can see what they're doing with the storyline and making Alloy the 'angry loner', but already it's starting to grate. Alloy in the first game was a genuinely decent character. Here's she's got a messiah complex and it's too much. 

But...the cut-scenes are fucking amazing. Honestly, if I didn't know better I'd swear they were being pre-rendered they're so good!

41 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Using the accessibility options makes it much easier to aim this time around.

Ah, thank you. I’ve not paid much attention to those, so I probably should have a tinker!

Just purchased the PS4 disc version of the game, installed in on my Ps5. I then clicked on the free graded to a PS5 version of the game on the menu screen game information. But now it is downloading the whole game again it seems for the PS5 edition, as its 98 Gig in size

Is that right or was a supposed to choose something else. Going to take ages to download otherwise.

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's certainly going to have to download a whole new game, yes. The PS5 one is a different package.

OK thanks. Lucky I started this now then before planning to start the game tomorrow :) 

Once it has downloaded and installed, can I then delete the PS4 version of the game? Assume I can and the PS5 version will run fine while the disc is in the console.

Just thinking of storage space.

Finished this last night, how many hours?

Spoiler

I pretty much avoided side missions etc. I played the first half on normal mode then switched to easy. For the final fight I had to switch it to story mode as I saved it in an awkward position where I had ZERO valiant. Also for some reason I kept running out of machine muscle all through the game even though I had zillions in my resource chest. I had this bow that could do 281 tear damage but it just consumed so many machine muscles. This is WITH the perk that doubles crafting for ammo btw. So I have a feeling I was playing the game wrong with that being my main non elemental bow.

Anyway, enjoyed the game but a bit disappointed with how similar it was to the first. Ok, let's do this, which are the strongest IPs for Sony's Single Player games?

Days Gone > Horizon > Death Stranding > GhostTsushima > GodOfWar > Uncharted >  LastOfUs

4 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Reveal hidden contents

I pretty much avoided side missions etc. I played the first half on normal mode then switched to easy. For the final fight I had to switch it to story mode as I saved it in an awkward position where I had ZERO valiant. Also for some reason I kept running out of machine muscle all through the game even though I had zillions in my resource chest. I had this bow that could do 281 tear damage but it just consumed so many machine muscles. This is WITH the perk that doubles crafting for ammo btw. So I have a feeling I was playing the game wrong with that being my main non elemental bow.

Anyway, enjoyed the game but a bit disappointed with how similar it was to the first. Ok, let's do this, which are the strongest IPs for Sony's Single Player games?

Days Gone > Horizon > Death Stranding > GhostTsushima > GodOfWar > Uncharted >  LastOfUs

Unless this actually is your intention, maybe swap "greater than" with arrows? I mean, I don't know anyone that loves Days Gone that much...

6 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'd take it you mean this to go from 'worst' to best? I'd take Horizon over all of those, except TLoU (2). 
Though my favorite Sony IP (single player) if Bloodborne doesn't count is Returnal. and Astro Bot Rescue Mission is fantastic as well.

I'm fully into this now - I love going back into the world every evening. Everything is refined over the last game - combat mechanics, loot, animation, climbing, mission design, UI etc. Each story mission feels carefully crafted, taking you through unique locations. All the old world underground bits looked the same in the first game, whereas in this it really feels like you're descending into these high-tech tombs. I've only done one cauldron (the story one), but that felt more epic than the first game too. Real Matrixy vibes.

The skill trees, weapons and attack options seem daunting at first but I really love having all these options. The weapon techniques (i.e the special moves per weapon type that use up a refillable bar) add a lot, as does the 'resonance' build up on the spear. In the first game I ended up with the best weapons fairly early on and then just stuck that loadout. In this it feels like you're constantly encouraged to change things up because there are lots more variations on sale and you want to have a good mix of damage output and coverage of elemental damage types. This in turn encourages player-driven monster hunting in order to tear off rare components to upgrade gear. It's an addictive loop that mixes nicely with the story missions. I always feel like there's variety on offer. Just when I'm feeling done with a dark, oppressive interior story mission I'm chucked out into the glorious open air to continue my freeform adventuring.

I'm also loving the story so far. Not the tribe stuff (I tend to look at my phone while that dialogue is happening), but the overarching sci-fi plot.

18 hours ago, Pob said:

I'm also loving the story so far. Not the tribe stuff (I tend to look at my phone while that dialogue is happening), but the overarching sci-fi plot.

For me the tribe stuff was much better in this sequel, but perhaps that's because it was all new, maybe on a replay I'll like it less. But yes, the overarching sci-fi plot is fucking great. 

Trying to get enough medals in the arena to buy stuff is... frustrating! Finding it very hard, definitely need to plan exactly how to tackle each of the machines. Then, because each run costs metal shards, I end up save scumming my tries as well. Thank god for super quick PS5 loading :D