IGNORED

Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

The costume design in the Horizon universe is probably the best I've seen in any game, and I'm still on the first game's DLC. It's so varied and yet fits each tribe/faction perfectly, from the materials used reflecting their professions and mythos, to the striking colours. Scavenged machine parts making trinkets or helmets, Banuk with wires threaded through their skin, the different face paints or tattoos, loads of hairstyles and beard styles also dependent on the tribe. And within each faction there is a ton of variation in outfits. Just amazing, it really helps to make each character and faction feel real and part of the world. There should be awards for this sort of thing because the costume artists and designers deserve massive props. Clothing design isn't something I usually pay much attention to in games but this is an exception because it stands so far above many other AAA titles.

Yeah it’s seriously impressive. How do you even start with that 🤷

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've taken quite a few good shots in photo mode, some are quite spoilery, am I okay to post them in tags, or do you all want me to hold off?

saying you have good shots is a spoiler that there are peaty graphics later in the game. Just don’t post anything. 😀

4 minutes ago, Oz said:

saying you have good shots is a spoiler that there are peaty graphics later in the game. Just don’t post anything. 😀

They could be really good shots of shit graphics. 😏

I have seen more of the issues people talk about later in the game. It is a bit bloated with crap. And it is a game which is essentially terrified that you might get stuck on something. They are expecting all players to be idiots.  ‘I better read that contract again to remind myself of what I read two minutes ago”.

3 minutes ago, smac said:

Aloy's "Am I bovvered?" face.

Yeah, I was playing with the faces and when that one happened to look directly at the camera I had to save the shot. However that's a snippet from a larger shot.

Nooooooo I seem to have broken my game. I'm at the bit where you have to follow Kotallo. He started running. I decided to do some side quests first to save a bit of the main story. Now he's stuck standing around and won't go anywhere. I decided to do the next main mission after that, but when I went back to him he's still stuck there. I don't really want to have play all that part again... What are the chances Guerrilla creates a patch to fix it or should I just bite the bullet and go back to a much earlier save?

I've recently left The Daunt, playing on Very Hard, and I'm getting slightly despondent. Progress is easy enough but it feels like the stealth strike is by far and away the best way to attack any enemy. Once you get into open combat it becomes a clusterfuck and and arrows do nothing more than tickle unless you score a weakspot hit - even then they're massively less effective than just going back into hiding and sneaking around for another stealth strike. As with the first game I've got auto-aim off and am heavily reliant on the focus slow-mo, so perhaps I'm just making it too frustrating for myself.

To be fair I did find this in the first game as well but it seems exacerbated here. I'm also finding that the starting tripcaster more often than not fails to attach - I'm not sure if it just has a very short rope or whether it can now not attach to every surface, but I'm finding it quite useless. Again, stealth / critical strikes surpass everything but it's quite boring just doing that. I enjoy sparring and jousting with enemies once I've lost the element of surprise but it feels like a scrappy battle of attrition and not particularly fun.

There are also SO MANY icons on the map - it feels like Assassin's Creed. I might just start turning most icons off so I don't get so distracted.

Also on Very Hard and some encounters are just not fun, especially with the convoluted combat system. Press R1 three times and hold R2 or press R2 follow by holding R2 or R1 followed by long press R2. You might leap backwards, you might leap over an opponent 🤷‍♂️ It's needlessly messy and unreliable. So I generally stick to being sneaky while heavily relying on bows. 

On the subject of being unreliable, how the hell is that Runda's Quest supposed to work? I have the Bristleback, am at the right location, am dismounted, am waiting for the Bristleback to pick up the scent and all it does it behave like an erratic toddler running about the place or it just fucks off.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

I've recently left The Daunt, playing on Very Hard, and I'm getting slightly despondent. Progress is easy enough but it feels like the stealth strike is by far and away the best way to attack any enemy. Once you get into open combat it becomes a clusterfuck and and arrows do nothing more than tickle unless you score a weakspot hit - even then they're massively less effective than just going back into hiding and sneaking around for another stealth strike. As with the first game I've got auto-aim off and am heavily reliant on the focus slow-mo, so perhaps I'm just making it too frustrating for myself.

To be fair I did find this in the first game as well but it seems exacerbated here. I'm also finding that the starting tripcaster more often than not fails to attach - I'm not sure if it just has a very short rope or whether it can now not attach to every surface, but I'm finding it quite useless. Again, stealth / critical strikes surpass everything but it's quite boring just doing that. I enjoy sparring and jousting with enemies once I've lost the element of surprise but it feels like a scrappy battle of attrition and not particularly fun.

There are also SO MANY icons on the map - it feels like Assassin's Creed. I might just start turning most icons off so I don't get so distracted.

I'm playing on Ultra Hard as well (like the original) and I'm having no problems in open combat so far. I genuinely think it has the best open world combat system out there and feel Elden RIng - which has other qualities - feels pretty limited in comparison compared to Horizon's massive toolbox so far. It also helps that FW runs a lot smoother.

I love frantically dodging around while hitting weakspots. I definitely recommend gyro as it makes aiming way faster and more precise. With a bit of practice you'll start hitting those weakpoints at a much higher rate. And unlike ZD, you can now tag the weakpoints, making them much easier to identify. And don't forget to use the elements that enemies are weak against. Blowing up Bristleback canisters with acid arrows is a lot of fun. Especially if they're near other enemies. :)
Melee combos can be pretty effective as well and don't forget to use those supers, I forgot what they are called.

1 minute ago, Vemsie said:

I'm playing on Ultra Hard as well (like the original) and I'm having no problems in open combat so far. I genuinely think it has the best open world combat system out there and feel Elden RIng - which has other qualities - feels pretty limited in comparison compared to Horizon's massive toolbox so far. It also helps that FW runs a lot smoother.

I love frantically dodging around while hitting weakspots. I definitely recommend gyro as it makes aiming way faster and more precise. With a bit of practice you'll start hitting those weakpoints at a much higher rate. And unlike ZD, you can now tag the weakpoints, making them much easier to identify. And don't forget to use the elements that enemies are weak against. Blowing up Bristleback canisters with acid arrows is a lot of fun. Especially if they're near other enemies. :)
Melee combos can be pretty effective as well and don't forget to use those supers, I forgot what they are called.

I'd be interested to hear more about how you're approaching combat, especially when things kick off. I'll try the gyro-aiming thing. I'm assuming it'll be like the first game and I'll gradually become powered up enough to make short work of the regular machines. I don't actually mind having to be wary of even small groups of burrowers or scrappers, I'm just a bit worried that I'll come up against some kind of boss arena battle (like the cobra thing right at the start) and have a grim old time. 

My main concern is that I'm not playing a particularly balanced experience. I like my games to be tough but it's quite likely that by plumping for Ultra Hard / no auto-aim might I end up stacking the odds against myself too much.

Also, I found the sheer range of elemental statuses a bit much in HZD and was hoping it might perhaps be simplified in HFW - if anything there seem to be loads more!

All that said, I did unlock the 'explosive arrow' weapon technique for the hunter bow last night, which seems like a lot of fun.

28 minutes ago, Pob said:

Also, I found the sheer range of elemental statuses a bit much in HZD and was hoping it might perhaps be simplified in HFW - if anything there seem to be loads more!

That's one of my biggest complaints, they've massively overcomplicated it. The devs in charge of those systems should have been given a massive fucking slap reined in somewhat.

By the end the only non bow item in my weapon select wheel was the explosive spear. So long ropecaster and tripcaster, no room for you! 

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's one of my biggest complaints, they've massively overcomplicated it. The devs in charge of those systems should have been given a massive fucking slap reined in somewhat.

By the end the only non bow item in my weapon select wheel was the explosive spear. So long ropecaster and tripcaster, no room for you! 

Yeah, bit of a shame that. HZD needed streamlining really, not further complicating. There are some really fun weapons but if you need to have coverage of a huge range of elemental arrow attacks then you're never going to have the less utilised (but probably more interesting) weapons on the quick-select wheel.

For example, wouldn't it be much better if the explosive canisters attached to machines were always blaze? It's just annoying having to fiddle around equipping an arrow of the matching element. I'd actually prefer it if you could only switch your loadout at a campfire. At least then you'd have to plan your loadout based on what your objective is, trying to cover a decent range of elemental attacks with a variety of weapons, and wouldn't be tempted to root around in the menus mid-flow trying to find the right bow.

57 minutes ago, Pob said:

I'd be interested to hear more about how you're approaching combat, especially when things kick off. I'll try the gyro-aiming thing. I'm assuming it'll be like the first game and I'll gradually become powered up enough to make short work of the regular machines. I don't actually mind having to be wary of even small groups of burrowers or scrappers, I'm just a bit worried that I'll come up against some kind of boss arena battle (like the cobra thing right at the start) and have a grim old time. 

My main concern is that I'm not playing a particularly balanced experience. I like my games to be tough but it's quite likely that by plumping for Ultra Hard / no auto-aim might I end up stacking the odds against myself too much.

All that said, I did unlock the 'explosive arrow' weapon technique for the hunter bow last night, which seems like a lot of fun.

I'm only in the second area, so I haven't unlocked loads of stuff yet, but so far I'm mostly using the bow, the spear and the slingshot. The slingshot does a lot of explosive damage up close and you don't really need to care about targeting specific parts. I use the bow for enemies further away, specifically targeting weakpoints and I use melee combos on smaller enemies nearby. Critical strikes on downed enemies. The ropecaster is essential for flying enemies and really big machines, but I don't use it much in the early game.
In HD I'd use the override a lot, but I haven't done any Cauldrons yet in FW. Still fun to have an overridden Charger assist you though.

I don't have any tactical masterplan or anything. I just scan the enemies and throw myself in the fray. It might help that I'm the type of player who embraces chaos. I love it when different machines attack me at the same time and I'm dodging in between them, switching between my catapult, bow and spear. There is something very appealing about the machine combat for me, with all the effects going on and parts flying off.

So much so that Elden Ring's combat felt a bit boring in comparison, even though I love exploring its world. Crazy though how much better this game performs while looking two generations ahead graphically.

I am also ignoring most weapons and skills. Shoot an arrow in the air and it explodes into smaller arrows covering a large area! Ok, but why? There's very little incentive to change things up. Elemental arrows do the trick and where not there's the ridiculously powerful unlockable Elemental Elec AoE skill. That takes down many machines at once.

My biggest issue with this is that I can't play it for long in the evenings.

Something about the lighting and the grass waving in the breeze throughout the world causes me to relax to the point where I close my eyes for, what I believe to be, a split second, only to discover that it's been 30 minutes and I should take myself off to bed.

Am 55 hours in, we're never going to use the grapple 

Spoiler

in combat are we? What a waste, I think I've used it maybe 25 times so far predominantly to reach higher ledges. Would have been neat if you could topple bigger/larger machines (think AT-ATs) or launch yourself on top of any enemy to deal damage/overwrite is during combat.

I've been using the unlockable skills quite a bit. The high bow shot can be immensely powerful, and is good to shoot from stealth. There's also the warrior bow bursts that work well when close up and personal, particularly if you're trying to apply an elemental attack.

Things with canisters that can explode usually give away what they are in their names... Like Acid Bristleback and whatnot. I'm away at the moment, so can't play but have a real hankering for it, I'm missing being in the world and doing stuff.

They seem to want you to combo warrior bows and melee - the 'energized' blue glow you get by whacking a couple of light then a heavy attack deals massive damage if you hit it with an arrow.

That's supposed to be down to your spear's 'resonance' or something - some McGuffin new to this one.

On 24/02/2022 at 23:59, stephen129 said:

Nooooooo I seem to have broken my game. I'm at the bit where you have to follow Kotallo. He started running. I decided to do some side quests first to save a bit of the main story. Now he's stuck standing around and won't go anywhere. I decided to do the next main mission after that, but when I went back to him he's still stuck there. I don't really want to have play all that part again... What are the chances Guerrilla creates a patch to fix it or should I just bite the bullet and go back to a much earlier save?

Not sure if it will work but:

Set The Broken Sky as your quest and see if it is still on the follow Kotallo objective. Go into the valley (just jump off the mountain and glide forwards) and look for a place called The Bulwark. Once there the objective might update or kotallo might warp closer to you as you’ll have skipped 2 fights. 

Alternatively, after finding the Bulwark save at a nearby campfire and reload the save to see if kotallo warped to you.

1 hour ago, Dig Dug said:

Not sure if it will work but:

Set The Broken Sky as your quest and see if it is still on the follow Kotallo objective. Go into the valley (just jump off the mountain and glide forwards) and look for a place called The Bulwark. Once there the objective might update or kotallo might warp closer to you as you’ll have skipped 2 fights. 

Alternatively, after finding the Bulwark save at a nearby campfire and reload the save to see if kotallo warped to you.

I forgot to say. I managed to fix it the other day. I went to the Bulwark and saved and then reloaded from save a few times. When I went back to Kotallo he'd sorted himself out.