Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

1 hour ago, Oz said:

this gives naughty dawg a spanking in draw distance, texture detail and geometry complexity. it is crazy to look at sometimes. 

Makes my mind boggle to think what their next game could look like. 

I haven't played that much because Sifu got its hooks in me the last two weeks and I will probably play Elden Ring first before I'm going in hard on this one, but I did a couple of missions and sidequests. The world definitely feels more varied and alive, and it helps that the cutscenes and dialogue scenes are much better animated and directed this time. I'm also glad that the PS5 helps with a couple of things that bothered me about Zero Dawn. No more lengthy load times, 60 fps for smoother combat and a more tactile feel due to the DualSense. When I went back to Zero Dawn after the 60 fps patch came out and I had just spent monts playing Returnal, the combat - while excellent in itself - felt flat because you lose the tactile elements the DualSense provide and I'm really used to these now. Firing a videogame bow without any form of resistance feels weird to me now.
Graphics aside, the ranged machine combat and all the options you have with traps and whatnot is still the star of the show for me, even though melee combat has improved considerably. Hardly best in class but a lot more useful than it was in ZD. And the worldbuilding of Horizon is just great. Really love their take on the post post-apocalypse. 
For the next game, I think they can still improve climbing and make Aloy a bit less chattery (or at least make her hints optional - ND is much better at this stuff).
Also, Ultra Hard is very enjoyable so far. Machines can take you out real quick, so get used to popping berries, but it's all very doable so far and very enjoyable.

13 minutes ago, smac said:

Yeah, I went in on Normal and wonder if I should bump it up a little.

I'd definitely bump it up. Going from Normal to Hard really forces you to exploit more of the tools at your disposal.

15 hours in now and Aloy is still chatting away, last night she was like "I can probably make it to that lower ledge if I glide". Imagine if BOTW did that? 

Link "I wonder if I can climb that mountain? Maybe there is a cool secret at the top?" :lol:

Actually, I don't mind it, I'm not too invested in the story/world. Not saying it's not good but it's just not my cup of tea. It's why I also turned on the icon/directions at the start of the game, I want to play this more like a linear blockbuster for 20-30 hours and avoid getting lost and wandering around for hours. 

Also I cannot believe that in 2022 there are still games with areas where you have to push around big cubes.

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

Also I cannot believe that in 2022 there are still games with areas where you have to push around big cubes.

I agree with you on very little. But yes, my heart sank when I had to push a crate to reach a ledge. To survive thousands of years of neglect, the bearings and wheels on those crates must be made of miracle stuff. if only they had built the rest of their world out of it.

25 minutes ago, smac said:

I agree with you on very little. But yes, my heart sank when I had to push a crate to reach a ledge. To survive thousands of years of neglect, the bearings and wheels on those crates must be made of miracle stuff. if only they had built the rest of their world out of it.

Yep, this IS one of those tropes across too many games that really needs cutting out. I understand that it helps create spatial puzzles but it's very hard not to sigh when you see them coming.

4 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Its a bit annoying when you're across the gap and she says "I should find a way across this gap".

On the other hand it has been useful when I trying to find a way in somewhere and she says 'I can't get in now...' which saved me wasting more time looking for a way in.

56 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

Very minor one: Can anyone see the campfire next to Salvage Contractor in Barren Light on the map? It's there in the world for me, but it's not on the map so I can't fast travel to it.

I fast travelled to it multiple times when doing the salvage contract, try using a Fast Travel Pack

54 minutes ago, MikeF said:

I fast travelled to it multiple times when doing the salvage contract, try using a Fast Travel Pack

You can toggle off all icons then toggle on just camp fires. There are a couple of places where the placement makes it tricky to select the fire and not, say, a nearby trader...

2 hours ago, stephen129 said:

Very minor one: Can anyone see the campfire next to Salvage Contractor in Barren Light on the map? It's there in the world for me, but it's not on the map so I can't fast travel to it.

Oh, I know this after searching for it for hours. THE CONTRACT ICON ITSELF IS A “CAMPFIRE”. 

Annoyed the shit out of me, that one. 

Top tip.

Create jobs for everything and anything that you want. That way it'll automatically appear when you're in an area where you can get those parts.

E.g if you need rabbit hide for an upgrade and you're near some rabbits, it will let you know so you can go and hunt them down.

57 minutes ago, footle said:

The PS5 patching process - is this 500MB? - is taking about ten minutes after download. It’s possibly the slowest thing I’ve seen after any flight simulator patch.

Yup same here, downloaded in seconds but taking an age to copy over.

What’s with the contracts, having to go into a quest menu to select it then go and read some shite in another menu to get the contract details

pish.

overall im really enjoying it, even getting into the story quite a bit. She’s a great main character, and supporting dudes are pretty good. Costume design is amazing , and very cohesive, it adds a lot to the game. there must be some serious talent working on this…

but I just struggle with the sheer size of it and all the busy work. It’s overwhelming at times to be honest. It’s no different from others in the genre eg assassins creed. But this seems like one of the best examples of that type of game.

where do you find time for this and Elden ring ffs??

I didn’t rate the first game so I’m quite taken aback by just how much I’m enjoying this. It’s been great. Looks incredible (playing in Fidelity mode, don’t @ me.), sounds incredible and I’ve had very little to fault it. After 40 hours of play I’ve just hit another area which looked even more astounding than some of the others. The cauldrons look like something out of the matrix.

The main story quest dungeons - if that’s what you’d call them - are excellent too.

I haven’t found it too hard and have had one, just one, bullshit moment this evening where I - at level 32 - took down a level 30 thunderjaw relatively easily to get a drone and then immediately after found myself attacked by residents of nearby camp. So I murdered all of them and went back to get the drone. Another thunderjaw had spawned. Annoying. Then it wrecked me 3 times in a row and I couldn’t work out why. Then I scanned it and the replacement thunderjaw was 42. 

The visuals really are incredible. Guerilla always seem to insist on starting their games off at the less impressive places before smashing you in the face with mega graphics a few hours down the line.

I honestly could have done with Elden Ring being put back a week so I could spend more time with this. And then there’s Gran Turismo 7 next Friday, too! What a time to be alive.

7 hours ago, Strafe said:

I didn’t rate the first game so I’m quite taken aback by just how much I’m enjoying this. It’s been great.

Me too. I think it's the accessibility options that helped me - auto and extended concentration means I'm actually hitting the machine parts this time around.

12 hours ago, sid said:

Costume design is amazing , and very cohesive, it adds a lot to the game. there must be some serious talent working on this…

The costume design in the Horizon universe is probably the best I've seen in any game, and I'm still on the first game's DLC. It's so varied and yet fits each tribe/faction perfectly, from the materials used reflecting their professions and mythos, to the striking colours. Scavenged machine parts making trinkets or helmets, Banuk with wires threaded through their skin, the different face paints or tattoos, loads of hairstyles and beard styles also dependent on the tribe. And within each faction there is a ton of variation in outfits. Just amazing, it really helps to make each character and faction feel real and part of the world. There should be awards for this sort of thing because the costume artists and designers deserve massive props. Clothing design isn't something I usually pay much attention to in games but this is an exception because it stands so far above many other AAA titles.

13 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

Wait; what?

There's gyro, how have I missed this?

To be fair, the list with settings and accessibility options is pretty long. :)
But definitely recommended, aiming becomes so much more snappier and precise with it.