IGNORED

Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

Ah, many brave electrical engineers were blown away in the wind, but they managed to get my power finally on. 

And...and...it only turns out that Horizon had finished installing before the power cut!

So, I've literally just ran five minutes of the game, and my eyes have been blown out of their sockets. The fidelity of the thing is incredible. If there's any game that hits back at this demand that everything should have ray tracing in it, it's this one.

I am genuinely in awe at the visual quality. 

Aloy is already slightly annoying, but that's cool.

I crumbled and bought this digital in the end, and got to the next bit after the first boss (playing on PS5).

Thoughts are a little mixed tbh.

Aloy (that name makes me die!) likes chatting to herself doesn’t she?  Weirdo lol.  Ocarina of Time had a solution for that problem decades ago.

Graphics aren’t blowing my balls off as much as I expected them to.  Perhaps as I’ve been spoiled by PC, perhaps as the game is cross-gen.

Anti-aliasing is off, fidelity mode framerate is completely irrelevant and OMG the lighting is really bad in more than an expected number of places.  Some of that’s a technical limitation but some of it is an artistic decision too perhaps.  Everything is way too saturated with colour and overly lit imo.  Death Stranding had far more tasteful use of Decima tech I think.

Gameplay is slick and nice enough in execution, but very safe in base embodiment terms.

Yeah coming straight from Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy remastered this does look oversaturated, and actually a bit busy, gaudy even. 

Anyone else notice quite a short but jarring pause during cutscenes when the camera cuts? 

Also characters talking over each other or when other dialogue is playing out. 

It’s fine, very much more of the same - and whilst obviously impressive visually it’s not as arresting as say, Returnal, which just looks and feels next gen in every way. This looks good but I think the remastered ND stuff looks way better, perhaps that’s just down to taste though. 

I also thought the stealth tutorial was confusing and pointless. I don’t need to observe the enemy path or throw a rock to distract it, it doesn’t make any sense. 

Hopefully when I get to play this in a less tired state I’ll enjoy it more.  

3 hours ago, Minion said:

Wow apparently a fix is already being released, sorry for the spam!

Nope that's a different issue, man I am tired, sorry

Actually, that was really useful as that was the issue I was getting, namely that in Fidelity mode it looked like everything darkened slightly and shimmered when you moved the camera. If you stopped moving everything popped back again, but if anything it was too bright. It was almost as if a sharpening or edge enhancement filter was being applied.

Having shut the game down and restarted (without downloading an update or restarting a second time) it seems to have fixed itself.

54 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I crumbled and bought this digital in the end

Me too, having been given the day off I couldn't wait until tomorrow for my physical copy so that is now in the trading folder.

1 hour ago, Nosejam said:

Spent hours in the brilliant first area after the opening credits doing side quests, discovering the area etc. Then I zoomed out the map, the jaw may have dropped a bit.

Just got to the first settlement there and upgraded my bow. Looking forward to exploring some more.

Seeing some minor pop-in on buildings and a couple of texture/graphical glitches. Liking the new machine designs so far.

13 hours ago, Stanley said:

This looks good but I think the remastered ND stuff looks way better, perhaps that’s just down to taste though. 

Yeah I agree with this.  I played TLOU2 and the remastered UC4 the night before funnily enough, and while I still have some issues with oversaturation of colour, and with quality of shadows and lighting (less so in TLOU2 but still there), they handled those things better than HFW.

Played an hour last night after my broadband came back up and the PS5 version finished downloading.

Playing in performance mode and, well, it's a bit tasty! Looks lovely, I personally like the lighting and overly saturated tones. Makes stuff pop more.

Bonus points for starting the game with a nice Lance Reddick voiceover too.

I’ve just got to Chainscrape, really enjoying this so far.  It’s great to be spending time in the world and seeing some old friends, although Aloy does seem to be having to bat everyone off with a stick at the moment!  

The skill trees seem overly fussy, I think I’m going to focus melee and bow skills initially.   Like others have mentioned, I wish resources, machine parts etc were as clearly marked as they were in the first game.

It is a bit of a looker innit? Textures and  water effects are incredible and some of the vistas are amazing, I’ve spent way too long just panning the camera around and gawping at the scenery. I lasted about 30 seconds in resolution mode before having to switch to performance.  I think I’ve been spoiled for the past year with 60fps games on PS5 - 30fps just looks like a stutter fest as soon as I move the camera.

The haptics and triggers are great, probably my favourite implementation of the dual sense since Returnal.

2 hours ago, Treble said:

Naughty Dog's stuff, I believe. 

Issue with those games is the realism. I wish they did a game without the constraints of having to abide by real world stuff. 

Just now, Oz said:

like something in space, a different planet, gothic/lovecraft, monsters, underwater, high/low fantasy. etc

I mean, a zombie apocalypse a pretty fantastical, isn’t it? 

I think here we weee just comparing the artistic direction, lighting etc as thematically Horizon and Last of Us are pretty similar. 

17 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I mean, a zombie apocalypse a pretty fantastical, isn’t it? 

I think here we weee just comparing the artistic direction, lighting etc as thematically Horizon and Last of Us are pretty similar. 

Because of horizon’s setting it allows them to have a more colourful palette and colourful interesting looking robot dinosaurs and not just horrible looking parasite/fungal infected people. In uncharted everything is real life and in tlou everything is drab and nasty looking with the occasional giraffe. It is not the artistic direction I don’t think. I think naughty dawgs artistic direction is actually the dog’s bollocks (pardon the pun). I think the settings are not helping. 

1 minute ago, Oz said:

Because of horizon’s setting it allows them to have a more colourful palette and colourful interesting looking robot dinosaur and not just horrible looking parasite/fungal infected people. In uncharted everything is real life and in tlou everything is drab and nasty looking with the occasional giraffe. It is not the artistic direction I don’t think. I think naughty dawgs artistic direction is actually the dog’s bollocks (pardon the pun). I think the settings are not helping. 

Apart from robot dinosaurs both The Last of Us and Horizon are both very similar - both post apocalyptic worlds with various warring factions etc. I don’t think that naturally lends itself to a more colourful game, both are very lush and beautiful at times, but Horizon uses very, very saturated colours. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Apart from robot dinosaurs both The Last of Us and Horizon are both very similar - both post apocalyptic worlds with various warring factions etc. I don’t think that naturally lends itself to a more colourful game, both are very lush and beautiful at times, but Horizon uses very, very saturated colours. 

Yes I like the colours. But the robots are a big deal no? There are lots of them. Gives you lots of room to imagine things that are interesting looking. there are also alien looking bunkers for example. I wish naughty dawg did something in space is what I am saying. 

Just now, Oz said:

Yes I like the colours. But the robots are a big deal no? There are lots of them. Gives you lots of room to imagine things that are interesting looking. there are also alien looking bunkers for example. I wish naughty dawg did something in space is what I am saying. 

Ok :)