IGNORED

Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

4 hours ago, smac said:

Do you have memories of trudging through lots of beautiful, crunchy snowdrifts? Or viewing a massive volcanic plume in the distance?

I don't think the main game had a huge snowy area to work through.

Tbh, no but that doesn't mean much with my memory these days. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Well my PS4 disc didn’t arrive today - fair enough I suppose given the crazy winds whipping up the UK.

Must stay strong and not buy digital then back the disc when it arrives!  I can do this!  Can I?

I'm in the same boat I think. Giving postie maybe another hour then a serious dilemma will be upon me.

I wouldn't usually be bothered but I have about 4 hours of free time tonight earmarked for Horizon then I'm most likely busy until this time next week. Hnnnng!

I'm sitting on a lounger watching the sun come up in Mexico so can't join in but looking forward to reading everyone's impressions.

What a gaming week ahead for us all. :)

Lunchtime got me partway through the initial intro level - how to crouch, craft, heal, throw rocks, hide, scan, silent strike, etc.

Much less protracted than the original...

Looks lush, but I'm playing on non-HDR 1080p so probably am not getting the most out of it...

I got mine from Currys. Arrived at 10am. Sounds like I got lucky.

To anyone who is playing, is there any way around having to press R3 constantly to focus scan? In the previous games it was much easier to spot items without having to press anything.

My copy from Base.com didn't arrive so I went to Smyth's and bought a PS4 copy.

Got home, inserted disc, cancelled install, redeemed the PS5 upgrade offer, downloaded 24%, WiFi dropped out due to the weather.

Virgin Media have no idea when the signal will be back up.

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

EDIT: We got WiFi!!

It is pretty but in performance mode on my CX the fine details like the mossy grass becomes fuzzy, I saw a similar thing in Forza Horizon too, not sure what causes it but it's a bit annoying as the art design is lovely. If I turn to resolution it fixes it and becomes sharper but then when I move the camera I get the 30fps slide show, it's only since I got this screen that fps have been a big issue for me, almost like cheaper hardware is better for lower fps.

Anyway It feels like a prettier version of the first so far and the EG reviewer was right about how much Aloy continuously tells you what to do, I wonder if they'll patch it later to give you an option to shut her up a bit. I enjoyed what I played, the combat seemed a bit sharper and faster.

6 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Have you made sure sharpness is dialled down to zero?

Yes I have. I think it's to do with the resolution as in resolution mode it's sharp and nice and I read that performance is something like 1800p which isn't native? I don't fully understand it to be honest but I suspect that has something to do with it, be keen to hear from others if they notice it?

Edit: Seems I'm not the only one, on reddit other users are saying the same thing: 

I’m having a lot of issues with aliasing and shimmering on all the grass and flowers in Performance mode as well. Hopefully they can fix it.

Damn, I thought I'm the only one. Yeah same. The grass looks really weird and janky for me but only in performance mode. Everything is fine in resolution mode

33 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yes I have. I think it's to do with the resolution as in resolution mode it's sharp and nice and I read that performance is something like 1800p which isn't native? I don't fully understand it to be honest but I suspect that has something to do with it, be keen to hear from others if they notice it?

Edit: Seems I'm not the only one, on reddit other users are saying the same thing: 

there’s a hell of a lot of high frequency detail in resolution mode that won’t play nicely with checkerboarded reconstruction. I was just thinking that it might be at the point where there’s too much!

Just now, footle said:

there’s a hell of a lot of high frequency detail in resolution mode that won’t play nicely with checkerboarded reconstruction. I was just thinking that it might be at the point where there’s too much!

Yeah it's the AA I think, seems this Polygon article mentions it:

https://www.polygon.com/22928062/horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-performance-resolution-modes-4k-60-fps-comparison

Moving the camera around is smoother at 60 fps than 30 fps, of course, but doing so highlights the drawbacks of the rendering techniques used in the Favor Performance mode. There is a lot of vegetation throughout Horizon Forbidden West’s world, from desert brush to mountain shrubs to leafy treetops. The checkerboard rendering can do a number on leaves and grass swaying in the breeze, causing visible artifacts on their edges. And without the Favor Resolution mode’s superb anti-aliasing implementation, there’s a distracting degree of shimmering in elements like foliage that I’ve found impossible to ignore.

47 minutes ago, Minion said:

It is pretty but in performance mode on my CX the fine details like the mossy grass becomes fuzzy, I saw a similar thing in Forza Horizon too, not sure what causes it but it's a bit annoying as the art design is lovely. If I turn to resolution it fixes it and becomes sharper but then when I move the camera I get the 30fps slide show, it's only since I got this screen that fps have been a big issue for me, almost like cheaper hardware is better for lower fps.

Anyway It feels like a prettier version of the first so far and the EG reviewer was right about how much Aloy continuously tells you what to do, I wonder if they'll patch it later to give you an option to shut her up a bit. I enjoyed what I played, the combat seemed a bit sharper and faster.

I had loads of artifacts in the original when moving the camera and turns out the C9 sneaked into an HDR mode which had overridden the default Game mode and I selected HDR Game mode and all was fine in case that helps

8 minutes ago, merrychan said:

I had loads of artifacts in the original when moving the camera and turns out the C9 sneaked into an HDR mode which had overridden the default Game mode and I selected HDR Game mode and all was fine in case that helps

Thanks but I don't think it's that my settings haven't changed. I could try fiddling with the settings on my tv tomorrow when I'm less tired but I reckon it's in game.

This is…. an interesting one. In a way this does perhaps feel a bit like a closing of an era of this-type-of-game. It's beautiful, all very slick, and all very videogame. But it is essentially very much like every other game like this. The game systems, the movement, the characters, the way the story is relayed… it's not markedly different to an Assassin's Creed to be honest. We're screaming headlong into the law of diminishing returns. Does it look better than HZD1? Yes. But not much. Better than AC Odyssey? I guess. Ish?

In terms of some general stuff, the 60fps vs 30fps choice is actually quite a complex one. The 30fps mode looks markedly better in 4k. 60fps is significantly more playable, but quite…. fuzzy (as the poster above said)? To the point where I even swapped backwards and forwards a few times (until I settled on 60fps because I'm not a psycho).  But this does bleed into a little bit of a problem - so dense are the visuals it does inhibit gameplay a bit. The screen is so dense with icons, high resolution textures, smoke, post-processing and particles that picking out jump points or even enemies ends up relying on game systems to actually physically highlight them for you. The native 4k does actually help here, so dropping to the Favour Performance mode grants a benefit in frames, but not so much in terms of picking stuff out of the busy environments.

This is an area Last of Us 2 does a lot better - it looks similarly pretty but very carefully pairs what you're doing (shooting, navigating, looking) to the type of environment you're in. HZD2 just shits graphics on the screen for jollies. Which can look great, but is also quite fatiguing. Moaning aside - so far, it does look great. Like the sort of thing if you'd shown your 8 year old self that videogames would look like in the future they simply wouldn't have believed you.

The plot is pretty shit. I mean, HZD1 gradually lost its way in a bizarre, increasingly weird fascination on taking what could've been a fairly solid Waterworldy post-apocalypse take into…. I don't even know what. Peak videogame overwritten science fiction bollocks? HZD2 clearly has to lean even more into this - and even about an hour or two in it's a bit irritating. It's a bit of a shame - I suppose across 10s of hours of videogames you have to explain why there are robot dinosaurs, but I'm not sure it's really going to be something you can ever explain in a satisfactory way. Not without better writers.

And the final thing is actually thanks to Eurogamer's (fair) review - once you notice how often Aloy sighs and points things out it becomes teeth-gratingly annoying. The pointing shit out thing is very videogame, but the voice acting is straight up weird. Aloy sounds so totally done with everyone's shit it lends the entire game a sort of air of piloting a reluctant toddler round a supermarket.

But it's good. Fine. I feel like God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us 2 and even Uncharted 4 remastered might be better versions of what's on offer. But it's still a great example of the scope, vision and sheer eye-bleeding beauty of modern videogames.