IGNORED

Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

From the eurogamer review:

Spoiler

There are other frustrations. While Forbidden West is not a difficult game to understand, it acts like it is. Aloy will narrate your every move, and I mean every move ("I should scan this." "I fell off and need to find my way back up"), robbing you of all agency 

I’m not sure why so many of Sonys first party games do this. It’s a common theme that absolutely ruins the players discovery. 

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Reveal hidden contents

There are other frustrations. While Forbidden West is not a difficult game to understand, it acts like it is. Aloy will narrate your every move, and I mean every move ("I should scan this." "I fell off and need to find my way back up"), robbing you of all agency 

I’m not sure why so many of Sonys first party games do this. It’s a common theme that absolutely ruins the players discovery. 

That is annoying yeah. Made Skyward Sword one of my least liked Zeldas.

Anyway, Easy Allies review. (9 out of 10)

12 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yeah if that screenshot is any indication it seems like the story goes even more sci-fi and it's whether you are willing to go along for that ride or if you think it stretches past the realms of credulity as to whether you'll enjoy it or not.

I do think that screenshot should be removed though as it's clearly a pretty big spoiler.

That shot was in one of their own trailers though.

24 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Legions of people get stuck or don't get what to do. They just want to shoot the thing. Would have been nice to turn it off though.

14 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Reveal hidden contents

Legions of people get stuck or don't get what to do. They just want to shoot the thing. Would have been nice to turn it off though.

You'd think it could be added to accessibility options. It's almost a verbal waypoint type thing.

A bit disappointed with these reviews, I was not expecting 8's, I thought we might be looking at 10's. Particularly sad about the talk of Aloy being annoying and the story being a let-down as those were major factors in my enjoyment of Zero Dawn. I know this sounds spurious but I really had high hopes for a masterpiece after the first game.

Mind you the original game did get a bunch of 8's if I recall correctly and turned out amazing, although I'm pretty sure the consensus was that the story was good then.

This is a bit nerdy but you can download a 6GB, high bitrate file from here and play it on your TV to see how it actually looks, rather than crappy YouTube mush.#

https://www.gamersyde.com/video_horizon_forbidden_west_full_review_in_french_ps5_and_ps4_pro_versions_covered_4k_-46322_en.html

They're like Digital Foundry's high quality vids except free, and unfortunately, in French.

I have cancelled my £50 PS4 pre-order as I had initially (very optimistically!) hoped that the PS5 digital upgrade would not require the disc. Getting it cheap was the only way I'd be interested in playing the game as I wasn't at all keen on the first so, with the reviews also reaffirming that it is not for me cancelling was, as they say, an easy pass.

If it weren't for Elden Ring a week later I might have still given this a try, if only for the shinies but a is, and like the first, I'll maybe pick it up when it's cheap as ER will keep me plenty busy for a long time.

1 minute ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Another rabbit hunting and crafting simulator with robot dinosaurs in the background, then. Sounds terrible from the reviews.

Don’t buy it then . 

I want it digitally but there's absolutely zero point in buying in until launch day unless you want to pay Sony an extra £10 to gain the sum total of nothing in return. To be honest I'm not even convinced the update will be up straight way and we'll have a load of disgruntled peeps with PS4 discs. I can't believe just how bad at this crossgen stuff Sony are being given it's seamless on the competition.

6 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I want it digitally but there's absolutely zero point in buying in until launch day as no preload whatsoever of the upgrade. To be honest I'm not even convinced the update will up straight way and we'll have a load of disgruntled peeps with PS4 discs. I can't believe just how bad at this crossgen stuff Sony are being given it's seamless on the competition.

If it works as it did with the uncharted 4 upgrade it will be fine . 

that said I’ve bought the ps5 version cos I can’t be arsed with fannying about. 

11 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Another rabbit hunting and crafting simulator with robot dinosaurs in the background, then. Sounds terrible from the reviews.

Honestly what did you expect? A completely different game to the original? Have you tried not hating everything for once?

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

That shot was in one of their own trailers though.

I don’t know if we’re talking about the same thing but the trailer just shows

Spoiler

A flying bird machine, with Aloy clearly on the ground underneath it

and the screenshot I was talking about shows

Spoiler

Aloy on one of the flying bird machines 

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

The remaster of Skyward Sword does much to improve things like this, a masterly remaster! 

39 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Plus it's a higher score than Halo Infinite at present. Which is awesome because that was shite.

Never played it so I'll take your word and whataboutery for it.

Not sure I'm up for what sounds like another bout of the same 'Ted fucked it all up' simulator.

The SkillUp review makes this sound awesome although I’m also a bit disappointed that they haven’t refined the skill trees or constant need for crafting mid-combat as that was the worst part of the first game imo. The world looks astonishing though.

I was waiting to see what the PS4 version looked like before pre-ordering. I'm sold. 

I don't think I've bought a game on release since the Gamecube days.

Where should I be pre-ordering, or is it best to just walk into a shop? (Lowest price possible please)

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think this looks pretty good, but tbh with Elden Ring the week after it’s going to struggle up against that I reckon. 

Elden Ring is far from a niche game, but all of the filthy casuals I know are gagging for this, whereas when I mention Elden Ring to them it's like I'm talking a different language. I reckon it'll do just fine, but I'm going to get it a bit further down the line.

Digital version picked up from the US store just now. Tactical use of PSN top up cards from various places meant I got it for around the £45 mark, so that was nice (PS4 version). Pity I won't be able to download until release day, but worth it to save a few quid I think! 

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Elden Ring is far from a niche game, but all of the filthy casuals I know are gagging for this, whereas when I mention Elden Ring to them it's like I'm talking a different language. I reckon it'll do just fine, but I'm going to get it a bit further down the line.

Yeah, I suppose I just mean amongst us elitists on here and the like who know our games. I’m not rubbishing Horizon I think it looks awesome, but Miyazaki games are on another level entirely. 

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Reveal hidden contents

2 hours ago, Vemsie said:

One very simple life hack I tend to do in this situation is: change the spoken language to one you're unfamiliar with, but that feels appropriate (I often go for Polish or Russian) with English subtitles. 

Adds a layer of distance that helps with the immersion, I find,and mitigates the intrusion a little. 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, I suppose I just mean amongst us elitists on here and the like who know our games. I’m not rubbishing Horizon I think it looks awesome, but Miyazaki games are on another level entirely. 

. “ if you know your games then Miyazaki is on another level” ? 

the inference being if you don’t get on with dark souls et al you dont know your games? 

3 hours ago, footle said:

The eurogamer comments are what you’d expect. 

maths.

For shame I got my maths wrong...the probability the EG would not recommend both games should have been 5% x 5% = 0.25% (0.05 x 0.05)! So there was a 99.75% chance that they would have recommended at least one of them! 

It’s a little bit too try hard to be a spoof.