IGNORED

Kena: Bridge of Spirits [ PC | PS4 | PS5 ]

FozZ

19 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I think it’s a fantastic game but the final act seems to wane a bit, though that’s because it’s less open than the previous 2 areas.

Sounds like that might be where I’m up to on my next session. The 2nd Mask Story was pretty epic from about halfway through. There’s a bit where you’re in a cavern jumping over waves of lava type stuff, with immense choral music blasting, before hitting the boss. Not sure how the game will top that to be fair, so I might end up with a similar opinion by the finish. 

Do you get chance to go back and mop up the collectibles or is there a point of no return?

15 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Sounds like that might be where I’m up to on my next session. The 2nd Mask Story was pretty epic from about halfway through. There’s a bit where you’re in a cavern jumping over waves of lava type stuff, with immense choral music blasting, before hitting the boss. Not sure how the game will top that to be fair, so I might end up with a similar opinion by the finish. 

Do you get chance to go back and mop up the collectibles or is there a point of no return?

If there’s a point of no return I haven’t reached it yet. You’re still free to move around as much as you like as far as I can tell.

Cheers dudes!

Man, the exploration and tracking collectibles down is pretty hardcore. Playing this off the back off Ghost of Tsushima and whilst that game and most modern games just lead you directly to collectibles, or just show you them on the map, on this you actually have to explore properly and track them down yourself, like back in the day. I’ve been around some of the areas multiple times now, checking every nook and cranny and I’m still missing loads of stuff! 

And finished. Utterly lovely and brilliant, and you should all be playing it.

It’s only real failing (bar a few tiny niggles) is its very poorly judged difficulty options.

It desperately needs a level between 1) Storyteller and 2) Spirit Guide. The former makes the bosses utterly trivial, you can effectively stand next to them and spam R1 and not be killed. While the latter is perfect for the bulk of the game, but just too hard on the bosses to avoid a lot of retries (if you’re a mediocre player like me), which dilutes the chill-out vibe of this kind of game. Maybe they’ll patch it.

That cost it a point for me, but still an easy 8/10. Close to a 9.

Yeah, there’s a serious spike on the end of area bosses. I don’t think any of them are unbeatable but pushing you into souls style multiple attempts don’t really fit the flow of the game. The second main one I just stuck it into story mode and basically sleep walked through it.

Played this through the first story last night (no, you’re crying. Shut up!) and mostly loving it so far. 

But is anyone else getting slight hitching every so often, I think it’s when the rot pops up in some places. The game seems to stop for just a frame or two. It’s really annoying. Playing on Performance mode on PS5. 

Other than that though it’s so nice. 

Yeah, there’s a tiny bit of hitching now and again, which is barely worth mentioning. I think it’s when it’s loading the next area. Having said that I left the game in the menu for a while and when I started playing again the game was hitching a lot more. Closed it down and fired it back up and it was gone. Think it also could be down to specific spots and having loads of Rot in your party or something.

As for the difficulty when played on Hard.........I think it’s spot on. If you unlock/upgrade all of your abilities and the Rot abilities, the combat is considerably easier. However, it’s still challenging.....and that’s how it should be! Bosses are supposed to be difficult. You’re supposed to struggle with them and improve and hone your skills, until you finally beat them and get a sense of achievement, and satisfaction, from finally taking them down. You’re then rewarded with the next section of the game that builds towards the next boss. The standard encounters can be just as difficult and some of the optional fights even more so. It’s very well balanced. Nice to see some of the old Ocarina/Majora style checkpointing too, where you are punished for failing stuff.

The same goes for the other elements....you have to explore fo find stuff, there’s no icons strewn across a map, or a HUD system that shows you exactly where to go. You have to use your noggin and hunt them down. Some of the collectibles are very well hidden and pretty sneaky with it! Basically, the game is old school but with next gen AAA polish and that’s one of the reasons I love it so much! It manages to merge the old with the new incredibly well, and in doing that ends up being the best adventure game released in years. Tomb Raider.....take note!!!

43 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

there’s a tiny bit of hitching now and again, which is barely worth mentioning. I think it’s when it’s loading the next area.

Cheers. It’s not a massive deal I just wanted to make sure it was a ‘thing’ and not my PS as I hadn’t seen it mentioned. 

So, I now just need to complete 3 optional Battle Chests that I walked away from as they were rock hard, then somehow track down 3 Rot and 2 Hats. Seems like it’ll be pretty nuts to do, as they’re spread across half of the world! Typical! Then just got the final Boss to go and smash up and I’ll be 100% complete.

So yeah, not rushing things, in order to get 100%, you’re looking at around 30hrs of gameplay, probably around 40hrs if you’re into getting all the trophies.

I've had a post-dental work infection arise, and so have got an unexpected day off on the sofa (and it being the beginning of the month) so decided to grab this off the PS store to console/treat myself.  I've only played the first 15 minutes or so, but damn does it look and feel absolutely spot-on.  Combat and movement are fluid and responsive - maybe an intermediate speed between walk and run would feel even better, but what's here works very nicely.  Compared to the somewhat plodding movement of Sackboy's Big Adventure, this is far more up my street.

@Popo There’s walk, run and then sprint, which is on L3.. I had the same feeling when I first started playing. The 3 could be blended together better.

If you’re enjoying it 15mins in then, you’re in for a real treat! It just gets better and better and opens up more and more as the game progresses.

Spent ages last night trying to beat the “defeat 15 enemies in 1min” battle chest. Absolutely nails hard! That hard that when I finally beat it I jumped up and punched the air. Hahaha. Then wandered around for a couple of hrs and managed to find another chest containing a Rot. Just 2 hats, 2 Rot and 2 battle chests left to go now spread over 2 very large areas. 

This is so bloody good.  Playing on my modest PC on high and it looks great and runs decent enough. Looking forward to getting a few more hours in this weekend. 

It also has a fantastic photo mode however on the PC version when you take a photo does anyone know where it saves it to? 

EDIT: Found them.

Kena_20211004_210902_228.jpg

Kena_20211004_210440_423.jpg

Kena_20211004_205227_143.jpg

Kena_20211004_210754_955.jpg

So this got a patch in the last few days and I'm pleased to report that the previous issue I was having with hitching seems to have been squished.

Did the second story last night and this game just gets better and better. It's just so fun to play, whoever did the aiming in this needs a pat on the back as it's perfect for controller.

1 hour ago, BabelRich said:

whoever did the aiming in this needs a pat on the back as it's perfect for controller.

This ^. The bow aiming, accelerating and fine control, is absolutely perfect out of the box on the Dualsense, such that I doubt gyro aiming would improve it that much. Leagues ahead of the awful aiming in Deathloop, which has contributed to my lack of interest in returning to it.

Soooooooooo........the final boss is way, way, way, way, waaaaay, way, way way, way, waaaaaaay, way, waaaaaaaaay harder than anything on Dark Souls. It’s up there with Ninja Gaiden in terms of difficulty. It absolutely batters me yet I can barely scratch its health! 

Edit: Just looked it up as this is one of the biggest jumps in difficulty I’ve ever come across in a

game.......and........Its not even the last boss!!! Hahaha. This is going to take some beating!

Aaaaaand down he goes!!! Quality boss fight that. Love how you have to balance the Rot abilities for attack and defence, it’s really well done. The way you can use lots of different techniques to take stuff down is cool too, just realised I never tried using bombs on that fight, just went with parry and dodge.

Fuck me, how EPIC is the next boss!!! Graphics are absolutely nuts and the music and audio is going full guns!

So I started this and as was probably predictable (as it looked tailor made to hit my buttons) I love it.

Only a couple of hours in, just got to the first of no doubt many find 3 things to summon a boss points, but been having a lovely time wandering around and finding all the things the rot can interact with.

So far it’s more God of War (2018) crossed with Uncharted with a small side order of Pikmin rather than bringing to mind PS2 platformers or Zelda.

The combat is surprisingly intense once you get out of the village. My god it looks so pretty though.

I’ve got to a shrine guardian or something, and I think I’m out. Can’t get close to him and having looked at a couple of vids it would appear things get a lot harder. Instantly massively put me off. 

4 minutes ago, spanx said:

I’ve got to a shrine guardian or something, and I think I’m out. Can’t get close to him and having looked at a couple of vids it would appear things get a lot harder. Instantly massively put me off. 

Drop the difficulty.

22 minutes ago, spanx said:

Yeah drop it. This is basically Disneys Dark Souls which is a slight shame but drop it to story mode and it's still great. 

It’s weird though, the not bosses are a piece of piss. The dark souls hardness bosses would be fine if the controls were beautifully poised, but let’s face it they’re not ideal. 

Story mode it is

9 hours ago, spanx said:

I’m on hard and it’s a challenging game. It’s supposed to be a challenging game. Games are supposed to be challenging! Bosses are supposed to be difficult. That’s how video games have always been! You’re supposed to overcome that challenge.

How about you stick with it? Try different tactics? Utilise all your skills that you have at your disposal? Practice and get better! When you finally beat the boss you’ll have developed skills that will then transfer to other games. You’ll get better and better at them. You’ll get a sense of satisfaction and reward from improving and honing your skills. Just like anything else in life, the more you challenge yourself and push yourself the better you will get and the more reward you’ll feel.

Or you can just drop the difficulty down and do the same on every other game you play whenever you hit a challenge and never improve at anything. 

Not having a go at you. Some of the bosses and encounters on Kena have taken me over an hr of retrying to get past. Its just if I’d have said Outrun is too hard or Space Harrier is too hard back in the 80s and had the option to drop the difficulty right down I’d have missed out on so many great games and great experiences in the process.