Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

BitterToad

27 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@robdoodthere is actually a Spider-Man game in which you play as Spider-Man Noir. I forget what it was called, the one where you played as 4 different Spider-Men: Amazing, Symbiote, 2099, and Noir. This was in the 360 era though so obviously no Nic Cage.

Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions

It was pretty good actually - probably the best Spidey game between Spider-Man 2 and Marvels Spider-man.  The Amazing and Ultimate levels had some really good swinging and the Noir levels played a little bit like My First Arkham Asylum.  It was Amazing, Ultimate (Peter Parker version), 2099 and Noir though - no Symbiote

I enjoyed it anyway - but I'm a Spider-man games whore...

On 18/06/2020 at 21:44, dreamylittledream said:

Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions

It was pretty good actually - probably the best Spidey game between Spider-Man 2 and Marvels Spider-man.  The Amazing and Ultimate levels had some really good swinging and the Noir levels played a little bit like My First Arkham Asylum.  It was Amazing, Ultimate (Peter Parker version), 2099 and Noir though - no Symbiote

I enjoyed it anyway - but I'm a Spider-man games whore...

I was very disappointed by it. After having had 4 open world games by that point it felt like a major step back into late 90s/early 00s territory. Tried each of the characters then gave up. Never bothered with sequel, and paradoxically was so pissed off with the studio I didn't even try the Garfield movie tie-ins either.

9 hours ago, drmick said:

I was very disappointed by it. After having had 4 open world games by that point it felt like a major step back into late 90s/early 00s territory. Tried each of the characters then gave up. Never bothered with sequel, and paradoxically was so pissed off with the studio I didn't even try the Garfield movie tie-ins either.

What!? That’s crazy. 

5 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

What!? That’s crazy. 

They scored badly in GamesTM  (Or was it Edge?). Anyhow the trend from Spider-man 2 - Ultimate Spider-man - Spider-Man 3 - Shattered Dimensions - Whatever Shattered Dimensions Sequel was called was of diminishing returns by that point, so I had no faith. In the meantime the Arkham series had sprung into existence.

6 hours ago, teddymeow said:

PS5 as slogan for this had better be:

"With greater power comes improved draw distance / reduced loading times / shinier puddles".

Delete as applicable, naturally.

With great power, comes great HDD response ability. 

I've nicked that from somewhere. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

With great power, comes great HDD response ability. 

I've nicked that from somewhere. :lol:

Shouldn’t that be SSD? Spidey Sense Disk - it knows when you want to load in data before you do!

• 4 weeks later...

I’m not opposed to performance/graphics choices on console, but they’ve been done so poorly this generation that they just feel pointless or like a poor compromise. “Sacrifice graphical fidelity for an all over the place framerate!” seems to have been the motto. 

Hopefully they’ll be a bit better on next gen. 4K/60fps certainly sounds good. 

Checkerboarding isn’t a drop in resolution, it’s rendering every other pixel (in a checkerboard grid), every other frame. The part of the image you’re not rendering is reconstructed using old frames. 

Which is why it looks so good. If the camera isn’t moving, it looks perfect, and if it is moving, the artefacts are usually hidden by the camera movement and post processing. 

No it doesn’t. It clearly says mode not modes. It says it’s a performance mode at 4K and 60fps. Likely drop the RT and other bells and whistles. I presume there’s a default graphics mode at 4K/30 with RT and more pretties.

But 4K/60 is sure as shit the mode I’ll be playing if it’s locked at 60.

12 minutes ago, jonamok said:

No it doesn’t. It clearly says mode not modes. It says it’s a performance mode at 4K and 60fps. Likely drop the RT and other bells and whistles. I presume there’s a default graphics mode at 4K/30 with RT and more pretties.

But 4K/60 is sure as shit the mode I’ll be playing if it’s locked at 60.

yep. It’d have to be some bloody good bells and whistles. Particularly since it’ll presumably support VRR, and small drops to 50 will be indistinguishable

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So convoluted when you compare to the smart delivery stuff on xbox. Ms and Sony have really flipped positions for customer friendliness over the gen. 

It still isn't clear to me what this release is? Everything they've said implies some sort of expansion type content, but it's priced like a full price game. 

7 minutes ago, deerokus said:

So convoluted when you compare to the smart delivery stuff on xbox. Ms and Sony have really flipped positions for customer friendliness over the gen. 

It still isn't clear to me what this release is? Everything they've said implies some sort of expansion type content, but it's priced like a full price game. 

Its £20 less than a full priced game.

Its a new story in the same universe. If you’re not a souls fan, then it’s clearly the main reason to buy a PS5 at launch.

Expansion? I found that Spiderman stretched out its content a bit (another identikit combat arena, a few boring side missions) outside of the core Dr Ock story. If they’ve trimmed it to just the best bits, it could be really great.

I spent hours and hours photographing those buildings, catching those pigeons, collecting those backpacks and whatever other mundane yet weirdly compelling tasks Spiderman threw at me.

No way on gods earth am I doing all that again just because it’s at 60fps. Unless it’s in the Miles Morales game of course.

2 hours ago, footle said:

Its £20 less than a full priced game.

No it isn't. Ps5 version is hard to compare as it includes a supposed 'remaster' of the original game and next gen game prices haven't settled down yet.

The PS4 version, however, is 45-50 quid retail everywhere. That's full price (actually slightly more than a lot of new games usually are). Doesn't seem to be up on psn store yet so maybe it will be cheaper there for some reason. So it's safe to assume it's a full new game, but they're not really talking about it like it is. 

7 hours ago, deerokus said:

supposed 'remaster'

Insomniac have already confirmed it's got several improvements beyond a simple up-res. Genuine work has gone into the newer version. There's nothing "supposed" about it. And the situation is not confusing, it's only made confusing by dickhead clickbaity game journalists. 

I think if Sony had gone the 'next gen patch' route for their big first party games I may have pre-ordered a PS5. I'm part-way through Days Gone and God of War, and am yet to play Lost Legacy or HZD, so being able to play those same games but tarted-up would have been a great selling point. I may also have done a NG+ run of TLOU2.

But selling Spider-man again as a 'remaster', with no progress carried across, doesn't appeal. It doesn't bode well for Sony's other big-hitters.