Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

BitterToad

This is mainly about the remastered original but covers the new RT Performance mode on both.

Insomniac have put a ridiculous amount of effort in to both games and wringing the best out of the PS5. RT Perf mode looks just flipping beautiful even though it only tops out at 1440p. Definitely feels like the best way to play it.

Just finished the main story (got a couple of side quests to mop up). What an awesome experience that was. Played a bit when I got my ps5 and then got distracted with other games, so glad I got to play most of it in 60 / raytracing mode (looked incredible on a 65" OLED - 4k just isn't necessary when everything else looks this good AND runs smooth). 

Makes me want to replay the original but its the ps4 disc and I'd rather not fork out right now for the remaster.

I call this "Spidey regretted inverting the shrink ray" 

PS_App_20201222_010959.thumb.jpeg.95c89d821cbf5efda26bb4fc2c7d0ba8.jpeg

Got the kids a PS4 Pro for Christmas. 

For a household that has only had a PS3 and Switch for years, Miles Morales is absolutely stunning. Everyone on this thread talking about PS5 and ‘next gen’, and I’m amazed just by catching up with last gen :-)

Also, got to say, the idea of setting the whole game at Christmas is inspired. There are always threads about ‘Xmas vibes’ games, but nothing can beat this, surely? Trees, decorations, winter sunsets, gentle snow, NPCs calling ‘happy holidays’ and even a flipping Xmas market! Just lovely. 

Started playing this today. Good fun.

In answer to my question way back in the thread- the swinging physics are the same as the last game. A little too much cheating on the physics for me, but I'm a master at it now. Those pigeon missions were enjoyable for me in the last game!

Most of the way through this now and loving it. It's a cracking game, and the new moves add a lot to the combat.

But to be honest, I much prefer the look of NY in the first game. Most of MM so far has been overcast with a flat grey light, and thin snow everywhere. Festive or not, it makes every area of NY look basically the same, and thus loses a lot of the wow factor, especially as it flattens out the impact of the ray-tracing. When the sun finally does come out it is very nice, but it doesn't happen nearly often enough.

If you want to show someone the power of the PS5, show them the Special Edition of Spider-Man, using the Performance + RT setting. Get on top of the Empire State Building near sunset and do a slow 360 pan. It's stunningly pretty.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still absolutely loving this. On PS4 Pro, and new to ‘last gen’, as we’ve only had a Switch and PS3 for years. 

It still just staggers me how beautiful the city looks, and how they’ve chosen different wintry conditions for each stage (it’s currently blizzardy which looks nicely oppressive after the blue skies and sunsets).

But I’m just happy swinging around and pulling stunts, answering every hold-up or arms deal that appears, and even doing side quests, which are all just fun. 

Nothing (yet) feels like filler, as combat and traversal is so satisfying, in a similar way to how Breath of the Wild always made investigating an inconsequential detail on the map rewarding. You don’t have to do this stuff, but neither does it feel like pointless busywork. 

Minor detail I think is great - if you’re on a call and get into a ruckus, the person you’re on with calls you back afterwards, and Miles will say something like “sorry I got cut off”. Very natural and smart. 

What a marvellous game. 

Question about these spidey games and Into the Spiderverse...

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR BOTH GAMES/THE FILM

Spoiler

Are the games considered canon? Because Miles’s story across the games is different to Spiderverse. When he gets his powers vs. his Dad’s death, his Uncle’s story etc. Do the games/film just take place on parallel Earths? I.e. It’s a different Miles.

I think this is the only open world game I actually enjoying doing the side quests in. Its all just so satisfying, fun and pretty.

Cant get enough of this game - and think I'm going to go back and complete the first one in its remastered form after 100% this.

Spiderman 2 is going to incredible.

37 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I think this is the only open world game I actually enjoying doing the side quests in. Its all just so satisfying, fun and pretty.

Cant get enough of this game - and think I'm going to go back and complete the first one in its remastered form after 100% this.

Spiderman 2 is going to incredible.

I think a big part of it is that traversal through the city is so easy and fun. What often burns me out with open world games are the tedious car journeys between missions, with the Spiderman games it's always fun to swing through the city and you can get to where you need quickly.

Finished the main story and for me it was just an alright game.  The caveat being it's really not my usual sort of thing - I don't generally like technical 3rd person combat stuff at all so the fact I finished it probably says a lot more than my describing it as 'just alright'.  Visually, it's stunning. There's no discernable difference between what I'm seeing in Miles Morales and some of the best the PC has to offer.  It's incredibly impressive at times and so smooth at 60fps with RT on. 

Story-wise -

Spoiler

It wasn't too bad. What you'd expect of a superhero story if a bit heavy on the angst and too social media-ey (said the 42 year old). Phin was annoying and thick as fuck considering, and I spent most of the final boss fight thinking whoever thought that was a good idea needed firing into the sun, so that ending made me heartily laugh.

I totally get why someone that likes this sort of game would love it and I don't agree with all the stuff I read about it being too short either.  The length of the main story with a handful of side missions done too, was very well judged, I thought.

I finally got the platinum on this today, after struggling for ages to get the final trophy by stopping a stolen car without being hurt as I was continuing getting hit by bullets when chasing the cars.  It took a YouTube video to point out the obvious way to deal with it by going into camouflage mode... :doh:

On 16/12/2020 at 14:24, Uncle Mike said:

Why didn't you just skip them?

I think I probably did but I still have inbuilt fear over skipping credits since the NES days that you might end up missing some of the ending sequence.