Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

7 minutes ago, Madness said:

Just 100%ed this. Such a fun game, perfect introduction to the PS5! Now...roll on Spider-Man 2! 

Nice, only put a few hours into it so far, lovely it so far.

You know how many hours it took you in the end to 100%, any of it too challenging or padded in regards to the extra parts rather than the main storyline?

4 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Nice, only put a few hours into it so far, lovely it so far.

You know how many hours it took you in the end to 100%, any of it too challenging or padded in regards to the extra parts rather than the main storyline?

took me 15 hours! No doubt it can be done quicker but I’m a slow guy. 

I'm only 3 or 4 hours into this, but I'm loving how it subverts expectations from the last game. For example, there's a mission on the app where you talk to Howard, the pigeon guy, and:

Spoiler

Rather than being asked to find 5,000 pigeons spread all over the map, you only have to find 3 and it turns into a cool side-mission as you go. Also, Peter's pigeon facts.

Yep, the side quests and bases are fewer, but much better. They really trimmed off all the fat from the first game, with little to no busywork like those 50 bajillion towers where you have to twiddle the fucking sticks - all gone. And even better? NO FORCED INSTA-FAIL STEALTH SECTIONS!! The only good(ish) one of those in the first game was the last one when MJ was armed with a stun gun.

Sequel speculation/ideas. Spoilers for this game!

Spoiler

I’d love the next game to be in this style - a slim Spider-Man: Peter Parker to tie up the Harry Osborne/Venom storyline  15 hours, some nice side quests, perfect. 

for the full Spider-Man 2, I want a Spider-Verse style thing. Play as Pete and Miles from this universe and tons of other Spider people, on the run from Morlun and family who want to eat you.

Use the SSD to jump between universes seamlessly, Ratchet and Clank style. Neatly solves the problem of the games having already done New York as well - now there’s ten New Yorks with loads of differences and a couple of alien planets. 

i know continuity wise it would have to ignore that this universes Pete actually took part in Spider-Geddon in the comics but just don’t mention it  

Been playing with ray tracing on quality mode at 30FPS. Just felt I needed to see the next gen shiznit. I switched to 60FPS performance without rt just now and HOLY SHIT! It really looks sooo much better. Imho of course but the image quality is vastly improved and I have to admit it looks way more "next-gen" in performance mode. Go figure, probably says something about whether rt is worth it. (And an argument could be made to call performance mode, quality mode instead). 

In other news the game itself is awesome!

3 hours ago, Thor said:

The only good(ish) one of those in the first game was the last one when MJ was armed with a stun gun.

The writing in that level was SO BAD. It was like the work experience kid had been asked to write the script unsupervised. I liked the main story rather a lot, so that level really stood out in a terrible way.

51 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

The writing in that level was SO BAD. It was like the work experience kid had been asked to write the script unsupervised. I liked the main story rather a lot, so that level really stood out in a terrible way.

Hmm, I don't recall having that much of an issue with the writing, but my standards are probably lower than most in that department. ;)

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Been playing with ray tracing on quality mode at 30FPS. Just felt I needed to see the next gen shiznit. I switched to 60FPS performance without rt just now and HOLY SHIT! It really looks sooo much better. Imho of course but the image quality is vastly improved and I have to admit it looks way more "next-gen" in performance mode.

Indeed it does! Insomniac are clearly fucking wizards because their upscaling/AA solution makes the game look like it's native 4k and 60fps - the image is super crisp and looks fucking glorious in performance mode. Compare that to performance mode in Demon's Souls, you can clearly see the drop in resolution there - either that, or Bluepoint's upscaling/AA solution is pants not as good. 

I love this game. As has been mentioned above, all the nonsense from the first one has been removed and with the ridiculous loading times, it’s a totally frictionless experience. 

The writing can be a bit hammy at times but they still manage to make you care for the characters. 

The Danikast is a real piece of work, though. They’ve managed to make me, a left wing millennial, hate this left wing millennial radio station. 

This bit of the game probably demonstrates the Ray Tracing better than any other. I tried to record the same section in performance mode, but it seemed to record the wrong bit. Without the RT, the cube mapped reflections just take away all depth from the scene.

Just now, scoobysi said:

Does a New Game+/Ultimate difficulty mode unlock when you complete it?

yeah, you can jump straight into NG+ when you finish the main story - and ultimate difficulty is an option (though I’m nowhere near good enough for that!)

10 minutes ago, Madness said:

yeah, you can jump straight into NG+ when you finish the main story - and ultimate difficulty is an option (though I’m nowhere near good enough for that!)

That’s cool, I really enjoyed NG+ on the first game as by that point I just played straight through the Story Missions with none of the filler. Keeping this one for Christmas and really looking forward to it.

Just finished it myself... 15 hours as I made of point of doing all the side missions etc. 

Loved it, the last fights were spectacular (spiderman) and the game was as smooth as butter and pretty amazing (spiderman) at times. 

Surely the next one is going to have both spideys (or more) in one big game. 

By the time I was done I had a fully powered up Miles (bar the 3 slots reserved for new game +). 

My son is after this on PS4 for Christmas, so I just had a look around and it seems to be ~£50. I thought it was a short expansion of the main game, so that seems a bit steep. Is it worth it or shall I wait until nearer Christmas to see if it drops in price?

4 hours ago, JPL said:

My son is after this on PS4 for Christmas, so I just had a look around and it seems to be ~£50. I thought it was a short expansion of the main game, so that seems a bit steep. Is it worth it or shall I wait until nearer Christmas to see if it drops in price?

It's shorter than the original spidey, but is still a full game worth full price in my opinion. It's nowhere near a mere expansion.