Demon's Souls Remake - PS5 launch game (also coming to PC)

Jamie John

31 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Yep. There's also a nifty way to delevel at the late game point. Can't wait to swing around a +10 buffed mega bastard slab in 1-1 and help* some noobs.

Hide contents

*flatten. 

Thanks. Well hopefully they've fixed that, just like they amended the online matchmaking requirements on DS Remastered.

I would hazard a guess (based on nothing at all) that they might have changed a lot of the online stuff to make it more consistent with the later games in the series, i.e. making summoning and being summoned easier, making griefing more difficult, and ditching or simplifying that world tendency stuff. It would be slightly odd if they reverted to the original, more tentative version of From's online systems after several years of refinement in their other games.

2 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I just can't see £70 of game, here. It looks pretty good, but I would have much preferred a reimagining rather than a remake.

It seems even more ridiculous to me when remakes typically release for at least £10 less, not more!

Yeah I'm not paying £70 for it, if it doesn't reduce in price before launch I'll be playing Cyberpunk on my PS5, fuck paying £70 for any game quite frankly. It'll come down at some point.

50 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yeah I'm not paying £70 for it, if it doesn't reduce in price before launch I'll be playing Cyberpunk on my PS5, fuck paying £70 for any game quite frankly. It'll come down at some point.

How much is Cyberpunk? Won’t they be trying to charge £70 for that as well?

1 minute ago, JPL said:

How much is Cyberpunk? Won’t they be trying to charge £70 for that as well?

You can pre-order the PS4/Xbox versions of Cyberpunk for about £45 at the moment. They'll play on the next gen machines with better performance and then you'll get the proper next-gen patch for free when they release it at a later date. In terms of value seems like a no-brainer compared to the likes of £70 for this, as much as I want to play it.

How does Demons Souls differ from Dark Souls? I’ve not seen anything to suggest the gameplay, atmosphere or even visual style is any different.

I mean it does look absolutely spectacular, but not anything that the Souls games haven’t done before just prettier and faster  to load.

As @Timmo says the £70 mark for what is essentially a tarted up Souls is bonkers compared to something like Cyberpunk 2077.

4 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

How does Demons Souls differ from Dark Souls? I’ve not seen anything to suggest the gameplay, atmosphere or even visual style is any different.

I mean it does look absolutely spectacular, but not anything that the Souls games haven’t done before just prettier and faster  to load.

As @Timmo says the £70 mark for what is essentially a tarted up Souls is bonkers compared to something like Cyberpunk 2077.

From memory, the main difference is the world structure. You warp to them, rather than them all being part of the same cohesive world.

There are other minor differences like healing using grass rather the estus, etc. This means you can have loads of them but if you run out, have to farm. The original game didn’t have omni-directional rolling, which made it feel very clunky to play.

On the graphics front - it looks wonderful, and the world is so dense with detail, but I think the latter is why it doesn’t feel like Demon’s Souls. That world was eerily bare and dreamlike. Yeah, it was probably due to the constraints of the system, but even watching videos of the original, you can pick up on that atmosphere and it’s not present here. 

I mean, those comparisons are a bit moot. Some will get more hours out of DS than out of Cyberpunk. Heck, some aren't even interested in Cyberpunk. Value is not the same thing for everyone. Sure, I would have prefered 60 bucks as well, but I won't have any problem paying 70 bucks because I'm looking forward to playing it immensely and will easily get dozens and dozens of hours of fun out of it. 

But does that mean that’s the standard now? A remake can be priced at the absolute top end because it’s on a next gen console? Where historically these types of games have always been priced to take into account the fact it’s a re-release.

£70 for brand new games I can stomach, but that price for a remake no matter how incredible it turns out to be is a bad road to be heading down.

18 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I don't know if it's the standard, I just know I want to play it ASAP and can afford it, so it's day 1 for me.

Nobody can argue with that :) that’s bubbles right there!

Im in danger of becoming a hypocrite with this because I’m going to pick up DMC5 Special Edition day one and I already have the PS4 version digital. The £35 price point for that is making it more appealing but if it was £70 I would probably still pick it up.

1 hour ago, MardiganX said:

But does that mean that’s the standard now? A remake can be priced at the absolute top end because it’s on a next gen console? Where historically these types of games have always been priced to take into account the fact it’s a re-release.

£70 for brand new games I can stomach, but that price for a remake no matter how incredible it turns out to be is a bad road to be heading down.

Why should it be more acceptable for a new IP to be priced higher than a ground-up remake? What do you think value is? What do you think you're paying for? Serious question. What do you think you're paying for? 

Should sequels which reuse the same engine be cheaper than the originals? Should iterative sports games become cheaper throughout the generations? I mean...Have you actually thought about what you're saying? Please tell me you're on the wind up.

Edit: I don't mean to be unpleasant there, but I appreciate it comes off as exasperated. I just really can't understand. 

36 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Why should it be more acceptable for a new IP to be priced higher than a ground-up remake? What do you think value is? What do you think you're paying for? Serious question. What do you think you're paying for? 

Should sequels which reuse the same engine be cheaper than the originals? Should iterative sports games become cheaper throughout the generations? I mean...Have you actually thought about what you're saying? Please tell me you're on the wind up.

You use the term “ground up remake” - seemingly to indicate that you feel a significant amount of money and effort has gone into this, before then arguing that it’s unreasonable to argue for games which definitely have less cost involved (reusing engines) to cost less for the consumer. 

Would you feel as happy to pay £70 for a straight PS3 port? If not - what do you think you’re paying for?

28 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

You use the term “ground up remake” - seemingly to indicate that you feel a significant amount of money and effort has gone into this, before then arguing that it’s unreasonable to argue for games which definitely have less cost involved (reusing engines) to cost less for the consumer. 

Would you feel as happy to pay £70 for a straight PS3 port? If not - what do you think you’re paying for?

Crack a book once in a while for practice.

I might be wrong, but this sort of thing happens at the beginning of a generation and then settles down to slightly less silly pricing, due to basic competition (physical, at least). If ever there was a reason not to dive in to the digital SKU, though, this is it right here.

I used to buy and complete everything that looked slightly appealing a couple of generations back - last year I bought four games (with two still to even start) So if these new prices stick, I don't think I'll be noticing it that much. I've bought a PS5 and headphones but will wait until the last week to pick this up and see what shakes out towards launch.

A side by side comparison that re-enacts almost every action in the trailer. The video is intended to be a comparison of assets rather than performance, so his footage is recorded on a PC emulating the PS3 version in 4K at 60Hz.

The player does an impressive job of keeping his gameplay in sync with the trailer!

The side by side section is from 1:11 to 5:20:

Re: loading screen discussion earlier. I don't think that particular archstone had a loading screen because it merely warped you to another part of the tutorial map, so it's quite possible they still exist when you leave the Nexus? The video above seems to confirm that, unless they cut it out to keep it in sync with the new footage, I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, I had no idea you could vault over things in Demon's Souls...:doh:

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

Re: loading screen discussion earlier. I don't think that particular archstone had a loading screen because it merely warped you to another part of the tutorial map, so it's quite possible they still exist when you leave the Nexus? The video above seems to confirm that, unless they cut it out to keep it in sync with the new footage, I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, I had no idea you could vault over things in Demon's Souls...:doh:

it does have a load screen.

but, funnily talking about emulated PC, it runs at 60, and the actual loads, are about 3 secs(on an nvme drive) but remember, thats just brute forced, its not designed to use an ssd, but loads a shitton faster!