Demon's Souls Remake - PS5 launch game (also coming to PC)

38 minutes ago, K said:

Yeah, the game has its own audience. Like, if the PS5 launched with FIFA, people wouldn't be saying that people who don't like football might buy it by accident and be sad.

There are still an awful lot of casuals who will see the knight on the front, think "yeah a nice action game" and not get past the first boss. Of course there will be those who have never experienced such a game and instantly become attached to it.

Either way I seriously expect there to be a number of copies of this in CEX within a few months.

52 minutes ago, Broker said:

They also have unusually high rates of completion on the trophies. Most people buying them not only know what they’re getting, but fully commit to it.

As a minuscule percentage of the audience, most players in my circle of friends gave up on going for Sekiro 100%. Heck, I can think of just one person who has the Plat.

Not sure where I'm going with this, so... uhm. It would not surprise me if Sekiro has the lowest 100% rating by a country mile. Shit's just too tough.

19 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

SerpentineHandsomeHoneyeater-size_restri

I don't mind the loading.

There is the brief respite and just enough time to worry about what is coming next. Bashing straight through and onwards does not seem to be in the spirit of the game...

15 hours ago, Bojangle said:

Seems like this is coming to PC and other consoles later. Well, I guess I can hold out on a PS5 for now and play it on PC.

image.png.74dfa13967084d38c4e5ed4f145406d5.png

I’ve only just seen this. Does that mean it’s coming to Xbox at some point?

Ah, just caught up with the thread. Seems like it’s not then? Thought that was a bit weird.

12 hours ago, df0 said:

As a minuscule percentage of the audience, most players in my circle of friends gave up on going for Sekiro 100%. Heck, I can think of just one person who has the Plat.

Not sure where I'm going with this, so... uhm. It would not surprise me if Sekiro has the lowest 100% rating by a country mile. Shit's just too tough.

Sekiro (and Bloodborne) is way easier to plat. At least it was for me. Demon's and Dark Souls require so many playthroughs with different builds, collecting every spell, miracle, etc. And farming the upgrade materials to fully upgrade dozens of weapons is insanely tedious. The later games need multiple playthroughs too, but are so much more straightforward. Farming the skill points in Sekiro is the worst trophy. 

As for loading, screw all loading. Loading screens take you out of the game. If games can run like they're on a cartridge, that's brilliant.

3 hours ago, JPL said:

I’ve only just seen this. Does that mean it’s coming to Xbox at some point?

Ah, just caught up with the thread. Seems like it’s not then? Thought that was a bit weird.

not for a while seems to be the consensus, precise timing tbd

The tone of this looks so much more 'right' to me in the new trailer compared with the first. I do hope the constant panting and grunting from your character is something they added in with the one-hit kills and such purely for the sake of making the trailer more 'cinematic' though, or if it's in the game there's the option to turn it off. Really distracting.

8 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

The tone of this looks so much more 'right' to me in the new trailer compared with the first. I do hope the constant panting and grunting from your character is something they added in with the one-hit kills and such purely for the sake of making the trailer more 'cinematic' though, or if it's in the game there's the option to turn it off. Really distracting.

I thought it felt off in a lot of ways. The player animation looks weird and the overall aesthetic of it feels like they just didn’t get From’s vision. Very reminiscent of the Halo CE Remake. Hopefully it plays better than it looks.

2 hours ago, Number 28 said:

As for loading, screw all loading. Loading screens take you out of the game. If games can run like they're on a cartridge, that's brilliant.

I'm against loading, in theory.  I mean, it's indefensible, isn't it?  Just waiting for data to arrive so you can keep playing.

But, with old games... It's like that Frank Cifaldi talk / video that keeps getting shared in the Mario 3D thread... You're changing the game if you remove it.  

The pause for loading was there when the developers made Demon's Souls, so the team lived with it during development, and maybe it even influenced some design decisions about where fog doors were positioned, the layout of levels, enemy placement,  etc.  The pause as you pass through a door has become part of the game, part of the atmosphere.  The pause for breath before the next onslaught.  Removing the pause is removing a part of the game.

Really great point @Ste Pickford.

You said you something similar in a 'vanilla Skyrim' thread I started a while back and it's stuck with me. I also feel similarly about SM64. That's the game. I don't give a shit about new textures or whatever. That's the game.

Hmm, I see what you're saying. I came to Demon's Souls late, after Dark Souls (just some loading when you fire it up or warp?) and it always felt to me like the loading screens with the slightly janky looking CGI outstayed their welcome (I appreciate it's old and relatively low budget.) I'm surprised people liked that feature. Would be wild if they added an option to turn them on...

The loading screens in Demon's are beautiful, but the loading times are really long.

Personally, I think Bluepoint have done a spectacular job of building upon the PS3 version. It's had a lavish amount of detail created from scratch, built upon the original foundation. Watching the initial run through the tutorial area, it was both incredibly familiar and breathtakingly new.

c14F2aF.jpg

8ojrdN7.jpg

I loved the way Demon's Souls splits up the world's effectively into runs to the bosses, 1-1, 1-2 etc. Made the MP very focused and super fun.

Also the world alignment stuff was incredible.

It's not a hard game at all, just keep going, retrieving your souls (you obviously won't always), upgrading your stats and gear, learn the areas by helping folk out in MP then folk help you clear the area / boss. Standard Souls tourism :)

Resist temptation to consume any of the boss souls :D especially 2-2 (I think)

7 hours ago, Ry said:

If they announce some sort of easy mode then I will pick this up. If not then I just can't be bothered with the frustration. 

There always was an easy mode, summoning other players for help. You realise just how much easier this makes From games when you play Sekiro and it’s not there. 

8 hours ago, Ry said:

If they announce some sort of easy mode then I will pick this up. If not then I just can't be bothered with the frustration. 

As others said, every source I’ve seen says that if you pick royal this is the easiest souls ever was. You can infinitely stack healing items as well.