Demon's Souls Remake - PS5 launch game (also coming to PC)

Jamie John

1 minute ago, MardiganX said:

So with that in mind and me fully intending to pre-order a full fat PS5 tomorrow (Spiderman MM and DMC5 SE alone are good enough for me to get involved), what can I expect from Demons Souls? It looks absolutely stunning, but if its more of that 'fuck you your dead don't come back' gameplay I worry it will be wasted on me :(

I think it's hard to say without knowing how they might have rebalanced it. For example, in the original release starting as a Royal made progressing a lot easier because magic was powerful and you started with a ring that replenished MP.

Two things that might help are:

1. The game's broken up into distinct areas, rather than one contiguous land mass, that you can mostly tackle in any order. (I think; it's been awhile.) As such, if you run into a wall there's usually somewhere else you can explore, level up, get new equipment, etc.
  2. If you're buying it at launch finding other players to summon should be easy. No doubt there would be people here willing to lend a hand if you're having difficulty.

1 minute ago, Ferine said:

I think it's hard to say without knowing how they might have rebalanced it. For example, in the original release starting as a Royal made progressing a lot easier because magic was powerful and you started with a ring that replenished MP.

Two things that might help are:

1. The game's broken up into distinct areas, rather than one contiguous land mass, that you can mostly tackle in any order. (I think; it's been awhile.) As such, if you run into a wall there's usually somewhere else you can explore, level up, get new equipment, etc.
  2. If you're buying it at launch finding other players to summon should be easy. No doubt there would be people here willing to lend a hand if you're having difficulty.

Thanks man. Its in my launch line-up right now and I only seeing that getting cemented as they release more gameplay and information but will make sure to keep an eye on anything that suggests I'm going to hit those same walls that I did with DS and BB.

15 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

what can I expect from Demons Souls? It looks absolutely stunning, but if its more of that 'fuck you your dead don't come back' gameplay I worry it will be wasted on me :(

I was expecting this kind of video: it shows the tutorial and makes it look exciting - attacks being blocked willly-nilly, one-shot swings, regular rolls in Fluted Armour? Utterly ridiculous!

I can ignore all that because i liked all the other locations and enemies they revealed. But it still left me wondering whether Bluepoint had the balls to fuck with the legacy. We'll see.

Sony has told Kotaku that the trailer claiming Demon’s Souls would be coming to PC and “other consoles” was a mistake;

https://kotaku.com/demons-souls-remake-also-coming-to-pc-timed-exclusive-1845082896

A mistake that they didn't mean to include that information when they did, or that the game isn't coming to PCs and other consoles in principle?

:sherlock:

imagine casuals dropping seventy pounds to play this on launch day, die a bunch of times, get pissed, throw the £60 dual sense and break it and then have to stare at the game icon every time you boot up the system as a reminder you just paid seventy pounds for software you can't sell or trade no matter how much you hate it  :lol:

Whats the thinking behind this effectively being the tent pole release for PS5 when its such a divisive style of game? Is the hope that (as has been touched on above) players are going to go for the digital console version, get caught up with how stunning it looks, drop £70 on it and then Sony dont give a fuck if people only realise then that is an incredibly punishing experience?

5 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Whats the thinking behind this effectively being the tent pole release for PS5 when its such a divisive style of game? Is the hope that (as has been touched on above) players are going to go for the digital console version, get caught up with how stunning it looks, drop £70 on it and then Sony dont give a fuck if people only realise then that is an incredibly punishing experience?

I think by now, people know what they're gonna get if they buy 'Souls'.

3 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Which makes it an odd choice as your main launch title then no? Especially at that price.

Souls/FROM games now sell a lot, and the success started with this Sony exclusive. A Demon's remake or re-release has been hinted at/requested for many years and the audience and demand have only grown. It will be massive whether or not a big chunk of the audience bounces off it. It's Demon's Souls. 

Spider-Man is the main launch title. People are going to have to get used to the price of next-gen games or opt out. 

I don't think Sony have anything to worry about in terms of the game being too hard for the audience. The Souls games are pretty popular - even Sekiro, which must be the hardest of any of From's games last-gen, was a smash hit. It sold millions of copies. Just from looking at Demon's Souls, I seriously doubt anyone's going to buy it thinking that this brutally violent action RPG looks pretty relaxing; it's pretty clear what it is.