Demon's Souls Remake - PS5 launch game (also coming to PC)

Jamie John

It has raytracing, doesn't it? The PS4 can't do that.

Genuinely started shedding tears like a massive dickhead when the first shot of that trailer started but the 'vibe' does concern me a bit. I was pretty ambivalent about that with SotC too, as amazing a job as they did with everything else.

Personally I'm very glad there are two different modes, I'd much rather that than have everything saying 'Here's your mega-resolution 30fps next-gen videogame'.

really? where does it say that?

and wtf is with " performance mode"...its a brand new console!?! why the fuck is not simply 60fps! thats pathetic...

Ive literally played the origianl at 4k60 last week ,yes through sheer brute force pc emulation.

But still, you know what...its still fucking great! :)

Really excited for this. I played it on US import on release but I didn’t fall in love with the souls series until 3 and then played in reverse order. I’d long since sold my ps3 by then so this will feel like a totally new game for me. 60fps is essential imo. I can’t play Bloodborne after coming from scholar and DS remastered :(

hoping it’s 4k\60 or 1080/120 as far as the options go. 

18 hours ago, Steven said:

If the rumours are anything to go by, it's done and ready to go.

Why would they just show the intro and shots from the tutorial area then? Why was there no gameplay? It seems weird if it’s finished to show a trailer that looks like it’s been desperately scraped together from the first hour of the game.

I really hope they don’t change anything or try to finish the area that was scrapped. As far as I’m aware Bluepoint don’t actually make games, they just make old ones look nicer. I do not trust them to add to or change a FromSoft game.

9 hours ago, Broker said:

Why would they just show the intro and shots from the tutorial area then? Why was there no gameplay? It seems weird if it’s finished to show a trailer that looks like it’s been desperately scraped together from the first hour of the game.

No idea whatsoever. The rumours I've read / seen say this has been in development for a long time and it is done. I haven't generated these rumours, I've read them (but it would seem the guy saying all of this has been on the money so far.)There is also talk that Bluepoint are now tarting Bloodborne up (not remaking). If these rumours are correct, we will see soon enough. I have no clue as to what Sony are going to do with DS; the game being finished doesn't automatically make it a launch title, but could mean exactly that.

For info if anyone wants to play OG Demon's without buying a new PS3, it's available on Japanese PS Now (or was when I last checked). 

In fact, fuck it, that's what I I'm doing with my day. 

Edit: No, I'm not. You need to register a Japanese card to use it PS Now these days. Great. 

1 hour ago, Broker said:

I really hope they don’t change anything or try to finish the area that was scrapped. As far as I’m aware Bluepoint don’t actually make games, they just make old ones look nicer. I do not trust them to add to or change a FromSoft game.

They did allude to their next project being more than what they did on SotC though..

“For Shadow of the Colossus we don't call it a remaster, we coin it a remake due to the complexity of the project,” technical director Peter Dalton told an audience of developers. “And moving forward to our next project, we call it a re-envisioning given that it goes well beyond what we thought was possible on Shadow of the Colossus.”

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/04/bluepoints_next_project_a_re-envisioning_beyond_shadow_of_the_colossus

13 hours ago, 5R7 said:

and wtf is with " performance mode"...its a brand new console!?! why the fuck is not simply 60fps! thats pathetic...

Ive literally played the origianl at 4k60 last week ,yes through sheer brute force pc emulation.

Well, you can't compare it to the original with its PS3 assets. Everything has basically been redone from the ground up. I think it's great that they offer the choice between performance and extra graphical bells and whistles.

33 minutes ago, Broker said:

Why would people want less options? Like would you prefer they just locked it at 30 and prioritised graphics which is what they always do? Why wouldn’t you want the option of 60fps?

They want both but don't understand the concept of hardware limits or don't get that ps5 native software (designed for 2020 hardware) will be more demanding than ps4 software (designed for 2013 hardware) 

8 hours ago, Stanshall said:

For info if anyone wants to play OG Demon's without buying a new PS3, it's available on Japanese PS Now (or was when I last checked). 

In fact, fuck it, that's what I I'm doing with my day. 

Edit: No, I'm not. You need to register a Japanese card to use it PS Now these days. Great. 

Fucksaaaaake

you had me excited then.

15 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Fucksaaaaake

you had me excited then.

Sorry, man. 

If you want some good news, I've since found you can buy JPN PS Now credit in a few places and I'm waiting on a code to be delivered digitally. I'll report back if it works. Should do! 

On 12/06/2020 at 21:58, 5R7 said:

Surely they will be building and replacing original source code. I guess within that are limitations. Like animation rates and stuff like that.

Personally I like to have the choice, I get your point but i’f I’m Ona 1080p screen I’d like to see better shadows and 60fps rather than 30fps native 4k and ray tracing.

Here's how you can play Demon's on a PS4 or PC. @Sarlaccfood

https://www.apartment507.com/collections/japan-playstation-now-service-plan

That's where I got it from, took 18 hours or so to get the code and I had a bit of back and forth verifying my account but it's working well now. Obviously, you need to set up a Japanese PSN account to redeem the code. 

In terms of performance, it feels pretty great. I've been going through 1-1 parrying left, right and centre. Obviously, it's quite slow and heavy and 30fps which definitely helps minimise the feeling of input lag. I'm pretty sensitive to it but this feels snappier than some shmups ported to the Switch. 

In terms of visuals, I'm on a good wired connection but no obvious artifacting. Again, the 720p, jaggies and gauzy lighting probably help. I doubt everything would stand up to a streamed connection but this is working well and definitely worth the effort. 

17 hours ago, Uzi said:

They want both but don't understand the concept of hardware limits or don't get that ps5 native software (designed for 2020 hardware) will be more demanding than ps4 software (designed for 2013 hardware) 

This is a game which was designed for 2006 hardware. 

It broadly looks like a PS4 game from the admittedly brief trailer. Maybe they will be adding some whizz-bang raytracing to chew through huge amounts of power, I guess. 

But the fact it seems it won’t be 4K60 doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in what’s to come for the generation. 

Like, on the one hand, we’re being told that the CPUs in last gen were potatoes. Now we’re getting consoles that are 10.2Tf as a minimum instead of 1.3Tf as a minimum. And that £500 is cheap for what we’re getting. But what we’re getting seems to be still having to choose between 4K and 60fps for remakes of 11 year old games.

23 hours ago, Steven said:

No idea whatsoever. The rumours I've read / seen say this has been in development for a long time and it is done. I haven't generated these rumours, I've read them (but it would seem the guy saying all of this has been on the money so far.)There is also talk that Bluepoint are now tarting Bloodborne up (not remaking). If these rumours are correct, we will see soon enough. I have no clue as to what Sony are going to do with DS; the game being finished doesn't automatically make it a launch title, but could mean exactly that.

if it was actually definitely finished and ready to go that trailer would have ended with a big LAUNCH timeframe. If it was pretty much finished and pretty much ready to go, it would at least have had a Winter timeframe, or a 2021 timeframe.

Demon Souls at launch sells consoles.

44 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

It broadly looks like a PS4 game from the admittedly brief trailer. Maybe they will be adding some whizz-bang raytracing to chew through huge amounts of power, I guess. 

But the fact it seems it won’t be 4K60 doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in what’s to come for the generation. 

Like, on the one hand, we’re being told that the CPUs in last gen were potatoes. Now we’re getting consoles that are 10.2Tf as a minimum instead of 1.3Tf as a minimum. And that £500 is cheap for what we’re getting. But what we’re getting seems to be still having to choose between 4K and 60fps for remakes of 11 year old games.

The fact it's a remake of an 11 year old game has no bearing on how complex/taxing the remake is going to be on the hardware. Have you seen the screenshots (confirmed to be from in-game)? It's massively more complex in terms of geometry and lighting before we even think about resolution, frame rate, raytracing etc.

The shot of the tutorial area alone is one of the most impressive next-gen screens I've seen.

Edit: Remake of an 11 year old game:

EaRbwANWAAAGVZL?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Yeah, it looks lovely, but the environment size and enemy density is still from a game designed to run on a PS3, which is what I assumed Uzi was talking about when he said native PS5 software is more resource hungry than native PS4.

To be fair, they haven’t announced what the two modes involve. Maybe the performance one is higher than 1080p.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

You've wasted some of that power by jumping from 1080p to 4K rendering resolution and then wasted some more by asking to go from 30fps to 60fps, leaving a whole lot less available to make it look prettier so be careful what you wish for.

If they'd given you PS3 visuals, you'd be laughing but then the bitching and whining would be about the lack of effort put into this instead ;)  developers are caught in a no-win situation when it comes to uninformed customer demands.

Edit - As a real world example, I'm currently playing through Dead Space at the customer demanded 4K/60fps. It barely taxes my GPU or CPU with its highly dated X360-era visuals, but I highly doubt I'd be in the same situation if it was a proper remake with Next Gen visual fidelity, I'd have to compromise on either performance or rendering resolution if EA ever decided to do that.

A remake of an 11 year old game is a new game. 

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

See above. It’s a new game but still constrained by important design choices like environment size, enemy density, etc.

Quake 2 with the ray-tracing update is running a 23 year old game (that was designed to run on an actual potato) with cutting-edge lighting. It demands a top end GPU to achieve that, regardless of the simplicity of the original design choices. 

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Quake 2 with the ray-tracing update is running a 23 year old game (that was designed to run on an actual potato) with cutting-edge lighting. It demands a top end GPU to achieve that regardless of the simplicity of the original game and environments. Why is that?

I’ve already acknowledged they might be doing things like RT to chew through huge amounts of power in my first post.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Personally, I think it’s disappointing that we’re being told £500 is cheap and these things make last gen look like pocket calculators if all that is going to get chucked on ray tracing so we can still sit here playing games are a “mostly steady” 30fps.

That's an interesting example. The original code runs in excess of 1000fps at 4K rendering resolution on modern GPUs, can barely hold 60fps if you path-trace the lighting using the most powerful and expensive GPU available to general consumers.

I’ve already acknowledged they might be doing things like RT to chew through huge amounts of power in my first post.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Personally, I think it’s disappointing that we’re being told £500 is cheap and these things make last gen look like pocket calculators if all that is going to get chucked on ray tracing so we can still sit here playing games are a “mostly steady” 30fps.

You referred to the age and original design constraints as being relevant to why the (currently unknown) frame rate and resolution would be disappointing. Until we know what the technical make-up of the presentation is, the age and original design constraints mean very little.

4K/60 is unlikely to be the norm this gen, other than for BC and cross-gen games, because devs will want to push boundaries they were unable to previously, and publishers want shiny things to attract buyers. Not to mention that resolution is massively diminishing returns - the results of DLSS are astounding, even using sub-600p base resolution. I'd much rather have 1440p/60 with advanced or AI upscaling than continue with the 'true-4K' nonsense of the last couple of years. We're also much more likely to get 60fps at that sort of resolution than at 2160p. 

They said straight off that it has ray tracing.

From Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon’s Souls. In addition to beautiful shadow effects and ray tracing, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate.

Even if it didn't have it I very much doubt it'd be running at 4k60 looking like that. Dark Souls 3 can't get anywhere near a locked 60 at 1080p on a Pro and judging by the PC version that game actually seems fairly well optimised by FROM standards.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

See above. It’s a new game but still constrained by important design choices like environment size, enemy density, etc.

I get why this seems shit, but you have to remember that whatever hardware any developer is given, they will experiment with it to achieve different results. It’s natural to see how many enemies you can throw in and how large areas can be. Along with this, you see how high density the models and textures can be. It’s a balance, and you try to get something that runs as well as possible whilst looking as good as possible. It doesn’t really matter if you’re starting your game from scratch or building off old code, or remaking from the ground up, you’ll mostly likely have development builds that look and run a lot better than anything that consumers will ever see as they’re running on hardware far better than the hardware consumers will have to play the game.

The issue is the industry, the media and consumers are all ridiculously obsessed with graphics, mainly because they are a very, very easy thing to sell. Consumers can understand graphical differences easily even if they only have images. Frame rate improvements aren’t even really that visible in video, they only make a difference to your experience. So they’re hard to communicate. This creates a cycle where graphics are prioritised over pretty much everything, and there’s nothing developers can do about that. If your boss outright tells you that the game is aiming for the best graphics possible at 30fps, you don’t get to argue. And all publishers are obsessed with forcing developers to prioritise graphics over anything else. So the game gets built for the PS5, looking as good as it can at 30fps and the best we can hope for is an option to reverse that shit decision.