Demon's Souls Remake - PS5 launch game (also coming to PC)

Jamie John

Just now, df0 said:

Ok, obligatory spoiler question: are we allowed to mention worlds, bosses, environments and everything else Demon's related?

Maybe use the current demon souls thread for that and this is used for new info about this game? If unsure just spoiler it but for a lot of people this will be the first time playing it I guess

A bit of a remix of enemy placements at least is surely a must. I haven't played it in many years, but I can play through that first level of Boletaria in my mind. Can Bluepoint get the combat feeling right? What will they do with the music? Will it be the first Souls with a great character-creator? Will the cracked talisman of beasts still be a thing? PVP?! So many questions.

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

The snow in video/into of the remake - wasn't the final world where you couldn't teleport to a snow based land?

Yeah the removed arch stone was to lead to a snowy castle area. It was very unfinished though, I think it’s probably more likely that they’ll add a tiny thing which you can quickly visit as a completion reward like they did in SOTC than create a full new area almost from scratch.

1 hour ago, Orococco said:

A bit of a remix of enemy placements at least is surely a must. I haven't played it in many years, but I can play through that first level of Boletaria in my mind. Can Bluepoint get the combat feeling right? What will they do with the music? Will it be the first Souls with a great character-creator? Will the cracked talisman of beasts still be a thing? PVP?! So many questions.

Hmm, Shadow of the Colossus is all I have to go on from Bluepoint, but gameplay-wise it felt exactly the same as the original to me (if you reverted to the classic controls, which I did immediately) I thought Bluepoint usually began by building on top of the original assets and made very minimal alterations to the size/scale/proportions of levels? I expect they'll add a lot of set dressing for Demon's Souls because by today's standards there's a lot of barren land, empty tunnels, etc.

I wonder if they'll keep the obscure upgrade systems? There's fourteen different upgrade materials in various sizes. They really toned that down over the years.

I think the art style on this looks great. But then I've never played the original, so I'm not comparing it to that.

Cannot fucking wait. I'm going to be buying a PS5 specifically for this.

Coming from a fan of the original, I sincerely hope they update the movement and combat system. Clunky does not begin to describe the original and while it adds to its charm, that was eleven years ago.

11 minutes ago, df0 said:

Coming from a fan of the original, I sincerely hope they update the movement and combat system. Clunky does not begin to describe the original and while it adds to its charm, that was eleven years ago.

Hmm I dunno, it's a tricky one.  Having very recently replayed Demons via emulator, I think that it hasn't changed much even up to Bloodborne/Sekiro.  

They could defo increase the overall speed of things, make enemies a bit more aggressive (it felt so easy/pedestrian after the newer games), and provide some quality of life things like more control over roll / dodge direction while locked on, but the 'clunk' of the game is necessary for the combat to work.  Actions have to be a big commitment; if you mash attack and then get caught short unable to defend yourself then that's your fault. 

To reiterate, I don't think the (slightly) different art style is a bad thing at all, I was just surprised that it looked different. I was expecting it to be similar to the CG we see in the Dark Souls cutscenes, but it's (slightly) more stylised than that and a bit more...chunky, some how.

What truly matters is the game underneath it all, of course, and going by Bluepoint's track record I've got a huge amount of faith in them to get this right.

7 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I really hope it isn't.

So you want the same game again? Fair enough.

I think remakes just aren't for me, I've never come close to finishing one as I usually get annoyed by the bits that have aged, plus the fact that I've seen it all before.

10 minutes ago, Timmo said:

So you want the same game again? Fair enough.

I think remakes just aren't for me, I've never come close to finishing one as I usually get annoyed by the bits that have aged, plus the fact that I've seen it all before.

I think that it what you sign up for when you buy a remake / remaster. Also, I wouldn't trust another developer to change anything dramatic, espectially a FromSoftware game. DS was so groundbreaking, and its still my personal favourite souls, despite some of the jank.

Remakes are a mixed bag, but Shadow of the Colossus was great and I was happy to replay the same game with an impressive new coat of paint. If I remember right, it had a reduced price point, too? (Not expecting that for DS)

The more I think about this, the more convinced I am it will be a reskin, for various reasons. For any dramatic gameplay changes and/or additions, Fromsoft would want to be involved, but Fromsoft will be up to their neck in Elden Ring right now, plus I heard Miyazaki doesn't like to return to his old work. Plus, Bluepoint seem especially good at reskins.

Massively hyped for this one. I think the fact that it was such an open secret diminished some of the impact.

Hopefully it will be there on day one - A Souls game that’s a proper looker as a launch game is a hell of an upgrade on Killzone Shadowfall and Knack. Or whatever the PS3 launched with. 

5 hours ago, df0 said:

I was going to ask about this. I never played the original as I didn’t have a PS3, so I was wondering how it played compared with their more recent titles. Does it still hold up well or will their more recent QoL improvements make it feel dated?

anybody else wondering if this was originally a ps4 release, before they were asked to port it to ps5 as a launch title?...as...well...there aint nothing there that couldnt be done on ps4...