Demon's Souls Remake - PS5 launch game (also coming to PC)

Jamie John

Yeah the monsters look a bit off in parts.. Having just played it, I was amazed at how good some of the enemies looked even on ps3.. Flamelurker in that trailer looked a bit like.. Weird. 

Still, super stoked loads of people now get to play Demon's! 

Wonder how faithful it'll be... Even world tendency? :D

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

It might just be me, but compared to Dark Souls the graphical style looks a bit...cartoony, for want of a better word. Not in a bad way, but less realistic than the aesthetic in DaS.

Because before FROM's games looked like videogames, this looks like a low-budget movie. There's something tacky and cheap looking about it. A bit Darksiders.

It looks a lot less grimdark and much more colourful than the original. I'm not sure it suits the claustrophobic atmosphere of pestilence and despair it had. Maybe Bluepoint remembered that games are supposed to be about escapism?

Just now, Uncle Nasty said:

Because before FROM's games looked like videogames, this looks like a low-budget movie. There's something tacky and cheap looking about it. A bit Darksiders.

Yes - I agree with that Darksiders comparison. Like I say, though, I'm not necessarily against that sort of aesthetic. At least it'll make it distinct from the DaS games. It might even make the enemy attacks more readable.

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yes - I agree with that Darksiders comparison. Like I say, though, I'm not necessarily against that sort of aesthetic. At least it'll make it distinct from the DaS games. It might even make the enemy attacks more readable.

After Bloodborne and Sekiro, it felt very pedestrian on my recent revisit.. Readability isn't an issue. 

The designs look faithful to the original to me, the PS3 version was just rather grungy and desaturated so perhaps it was harder to appreciate how goofy the enemies could be.

Still got my fingers crossed for Bluepoint repairing the sixth Archstone.

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

This is a bit worrying. Why are we having to choose between resolution and FPS for the next generation of consoles? Shouldn't the whole experience be without compromise?

Yeah, that is very disappointing. I guess at least having the option of 60fps (I assume) will enable us to play it as well as it can be played rather than them going for all out the shinies and forcing a less stable/lower frame rate on us. The design does look a bit odd though so hmmm...

That said, the console looks so gobsmackingly terrible it might be a road block to my buying it so I'll not need to worry about choosing between smoothness or resolution..

33 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

This is a bit worrying. Why are we having to choose between resolution and FPS for the next generation of consoles? Shouldn't the whole experience be without compromise?

4k is still a pipedream for most games. You’ll get 60fps upscaled or 4K as a choice most of the time I imagine. Don’t worry, upscaled 1440p at a decent frame rate is the best of both worlds. 

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I think peoples expectations still need to be kept in check. 

You can spend £2000 on the latest PC hardware today and you would still need to "compromise" on certain titles because software can be designed to tax hardware with more pixels/effects/AA/frames  - having choice means you can choose to maximise where this power goes be it fidelity or performance based on the limits you have and there will always be hardware limits otherwise everything could run at 4k/120fps+ but look like CS GO

PS5 1440p checkerboard up-scaling 60fps is a realistic expectation for most titles

I completed this a couple of years ago and the monster design was one of the best things about it. I have to agree that the cartoony, kid-friendly look is pretty awful. Those sabre-weiding skeletons were the stuff of nightmares in the original. Now they look like something out of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

9 hours ago, robdood said:

Yeah the monsters look a bit off in parts.. Having just played it, I was amazed at how good some of the enemies looked even on ps3.. Flamelurker in that trailer looked a bit like.. Weird. 

Still, super stoked loads of people now get to play Demon's! 

Wonder how faithful it'll be... Even world tendency? :D

I still don’t understand world tendency even after finishing it. 

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

They haven't given details on what this means have they? 

That new DIRT game for the Series X has the same options with a choice between 4k60 and 1080/120fps.