rllmuk
HarryBizzle

PS5 Hardware - The Poll We've All Been Waiting For

PS5 Hardware Poll  

427 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like it, although I think the discless one looks a lot better than its bigger brother. I'll probably end up getting that version anyway, as the Series X will have a drive and I only need one blu-ray player under the TV.

41 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Another comparison picture. It seems to be over twice the size of the PS4. 

comparasioniykr9.jpg

That black block underneath. Is that whats being used for it to lay flat?

• Upvote 1

I love the controller design but the main console isn't doing much for me. The look of it was never going to be a factor though, I'm a little concerned about the size (and weight) of the thing. The PS4 being so petite was a breath of fresh air after the original PS3 was an awkward creaking tank of a machine, hoping this fares better.

If Sony introduced a genuine game pass equivalent then o think I’d be fine with a diskless ps5.  

• Upvote 1

The first console ever to make me hungry for a Pret a Manger wrap.

47 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Oddly enough, when I saw the PS5 I did think it was to console design what the ‘Walkie Talkie’ is to skyscrapers.

I wonder if it will also cause cars parked nearby to spontaneously combust.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yes, you're both right. £50 more expensive than the digital version, then.

I think you’re right and they’ll take more of a hit (£75-£100), safe in the knowledge that you will be paying through the nose for games throughout the generation. 

I’m still baffled by people on the £55 new game bandwagon. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Liamness said:

For those who are more than happy to go all digital, I'd encourage you to try out how sharing games on the PS4 works first. I'm currently playing my brother's copy of God Of War and it's quite a pain in the arse tbh. You can only have one PS4 active at a time, so in order to play on a different one, he has to turn his wifi off so I can log onto mine as a guest without being kicked off. Then I still get logged off every time the console turns off (even into rest mode) which deletes all your save data and preferences. So you need to back saves up to USB each time you end a play session. Then when you want to start things up again, you have to log on again, copy the save back, change any settings that got reset (I've noticed the controller brightness likes to go back to max, which saps battery life and reflects off the TV).

Massive PITA. Compare this to say, Steam where as long as you're not logged on at the the same time you can play to your hearts content, without needing to change profiles. Plus obviously save files and preferences don't get wiped because I doubt Valve could implement that even if they wanted to. Obviously one solution to this is to not be a cheapskate and just buy the game - but I wanted to see if it was possible. Answer to that is yes, but tbh I'd rather have just paid up at this point.

Hang on - I've just started doing game sharing and it seems to work exactly like the XB1 - you swap 'home consoles' with your buddy and you can play each others' digital games to your heart's content using your own profile. Well, that seems to be how it's working for me anyway! The drawback is the same - you need an internet connection to be able to play, so if your internet or PSN is down, you can't play your digital games.

• Upvote 1

See we all love the numbering/naming of playstation PS1,2,3,4,5 - so simple and elegant instead of 360 X1 X1X XsX. But simple numbering leads to console designers having a bad day and deciding to make their new console look like a giant Roman numeral 5 :D

• Upvote 2

@Pob My understanding was that you can only have one "primary" console at a time, so that would mean whoever is sharing their games would need to do the whole guest login thing I've described to play games they had paid for.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

No, I'm just factoring the additional cost of a UHD drive. At retail, an internal UHD Blu Ray drive costs about £75, so with the mark up I can see it being £100 extra. Plus, I think Sony will want to give people a reason to buy the all digital console in order to sabotage the used games market as much as they can, which will get them more money in the long run when people have to use their store to buy games brand new and digital every time.

I'd love to be proven wrong, of course. Maybe it'll only be £50 more.

Microsoft sold the digital version of the 1S for about £50 less, but that was more about hitting price points I think. It's not going to be £100 different unless Sony are really stiffing us one way or the other.

To me buying the digital only console is a complete false economy. Let's say you save £50 upfront, but now you can't play any 4K Blu Ray's you might have had, wanted in the future, or have been gifted (I've been buying new stuff like Blade Runner 2049 on 4K as you got the standard Blu Ray in the box, and now I don't have to pay again to upgrade)

You'll have to make sure that every game you buy you are going to enjoy. Seems easy, right? But then you get something come along like Doom Eternal which on paper you should love but it's actually vastly different to it's predecessor. Now you have a £50 digital icon to show for it. 

I'd be less inclined to take risks on games I might not usually play as you're stuck with them forever whereas you might lose a few quid selling a disc in trading.

Also I have about 30 PS4 discs so if PS5 can do back cat, I've got an instant library. I don't have to wait days and days to download them on my ADSL broadband because most of the file sizes are on the disc. 

Then, if there's an issue with your account all your purchases are locked out etc. I don't know man, to me digital only is massively putting yourself at the mercy of the platform holders. 

I do understand I am fighting a losing battle in perception of the mass market. I guess convenience does trump everything else.

• Upvote 6

image.png.43035985c34323da666d3762b0f7fbdf.png

I hope it rotates on its base like a gigantic fidget spinner

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

Another comparison picture. It seems to be over twice the size of the PS4. 

comparasioniykr9.jpg

image.png.50827d7fe605f686f5ca34157ce9560d.png

image.png.7e7ffc5c34c9967733e6ac734234ac74.png

• Upvote 5

I think it's clear why it's two tone - to break up the size a bit.

It doesn't look so offensively bad to me today, but it still just evokes feelings of cheap routers and stand up fans like above.

It looks overdesigned and cheap. This might improve when we see actual hardware rather than renders. I also think people hoping for a black one at launch might be disappointed if they're going to have trouble making as many units as they want to, as I think they might have already alluded to. I think I could live with a black one, as I could stick it behind the TV and you'd hardly notice it.

At a time when all consoles are near identical dull black boxes I’m very pleased to see that this one looks like something from Star Trek.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

PS5 Fonzie.jpg

The last time big lump of plastic turned it's collar up.

image.png.135c734dfb09b0ef12a3489b7af503de.png

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Jesus Christ, it's huge. 

m68gq2vi8e451.png

At least the XsX can sit under the TV looking just like a HT amp.

27 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

To me buying the digital only console is a complete false economy. Let's say you save £50 upfront, but now you can't play any 4K Blu Ray's you might have had, wanted in the future, or have been gifted (I've been buying new stuff like Blade Runner 2049 on 4K as you got the standard Blu Ray in the box, and now I don't have to pay again to upgrade)

You'll have to make sure that every game you buy you are going to enjoy. Seems easy, right? But then you get something come along like Doom Eternal which on paper you should love but it's actually vastly different to it's predecessor. Now you have a £50 digital icon to show for it. 

I'd be less inclined to take risks on games I might not usually play as you're stuck with them forever whereas you might lose a few quid selling a disc in trading.

Also I have about 30 PS4 discs so if PS5 can do back cat, I've got an instant library. I don't have to wait days and days to download them on my ADSL broadband because most of the file sizes are on the disc. 

Then, if there's an issue with your account all your purchases are locked out etc. I don't know man, to me digital only is massively putting yourself at the mercy of the platform holders. 

I do understand I am fighting a losing battle in perception of the mass market. I guess convenience does trump everything else.

I think the digital only console will appeal to younger games who have grown up on steaming and mobile phones and tablets.

I'd find a digital only device appealing coupled with a sub service like GamePass. In fact that is exactly what I have now with the PC. I've technically being digital only on PC since Half Life 2 released back in 2004. Can't remember the last disk game I got and when I did it was essentially just a key. I've had no problems accessing any content I've bought over the 16 years I've been using it. In fact as time has gone on games have improved - extra things added graphics improvements etc. It's great. So fan here.

What would be nice (and MS alluded to this once) was the ability to lend games etc.

Think whether we like it or not we are heading into a digital world. That drive there is for legacy and to stop people getting upset. Same as on the Xbox Series X. 

Vertical, it looks a bit villainous . A bit Emperor Zurg.

Horizontal, it just looks like it has fallen over and burst at the seams.

It occurs to me that Sony have been so swept up with Astro Bot's popularity that they have used it as the design principle for this console...

image.thumb.png.eb1e974ee90370198f965d3060e97848.pngimage.png.5357eceff4c7a7b84e07f8b4e7fb57a2.png

image.png

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

It the PS5 logo even on it? The lack of logos make it look even weirder.

You have to buy the logo separately. It's free-standing so you can place it anywhere.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Not everyone is selling games because they didn't enjoy them though - some are doing so because they have finished the game. I think we would be seeing more ambitious singleplayer experiences, particularly from third party publishers, if this wasn't possible.

40 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

It's not just about convenience though, it's also about lowering costs. No distribution costs, no manufacturing costs, no retailer cut. In the PC space these savings have largely been passed onto the consumer. So yes, you can't as easily change your mind after purchase and recoup what you've paid, but perhaps your initial outlay will be lower. Console manufacturers seemed initially loath to undercut physical media (for the longest time downloads seemed to be even more expensive) but this does seem to be changing, with things like Game Pass offering excellent value, and recent PSN sales are beginning to remind me of Steam's - in terms of potentially not actually saving you any money because of all the impulse purchases.