Metal: Hellsinger - Rhythm Action FPS Out Now (Also On Game Pass)

moosegrinder

• 1 year later...

Downloaded the demo today. I've never played BPM but this feels great to play when you're in the zone and on beat, and the hammy stylings work perfectly with the soundtrack. Getting a good string of hits and hearing the vocals fade in has the same giddy quality as DMC V's dynamic music. :D 

I don't know how to properly dash and attack because I'm a cack handed dickhead, but you can get a triple dash bonus. I find the shotgun to cumbersome to use properly. The dual pistols are sick as fuck, mind.

This game does seem tailor made for me.

Like "boomer shooters"? Check.

Like rhythm action games? Check.

Like Metal? Check.

On PC? Check.

So why am I not playing it?

Spoiler

Because my hand is broken FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

It feels so much more fun to play than BPM which I loved the idea of but didn't gel with the roguelike aspects and difficulty level. I absolutely love the way that doing well unlocks more of the music and hitting the flow brings the vocals in. Definitely day 1 on this one for me now.

You have to kind of get out of the traditional FPS mindset which isn't easy but oh my life there's proper zone gaming in here. Dodge is key to getting away from cunts and timing that triple dodge.

Also earphones and proper calibration are essential really. The auto calibration got me close but I had to dial the audio down 10 ms or so. It's much worse over the Xbox blue tooth headset.

23 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

It feels so much more fun to play than BPM which I loved the idea of but didn't gel with the roguelike aspects and difficulty level. I absolutely love the way that doing well unlocks more of the music and hitting the flow brings the vocals in. Definitely day 1 on this one for me now.

This is my exact experience, both for BPM and this.

It seems to be less stringent about keeping to the beat which made playing BPM feel bad when you're playing like shit, and instead rewards you with instant kill headshots, more damage, faster reloads and the whole soundtrack escalating with it.

It feels great to get in that positive feedback loop, and it's just a much better experience overall. Extremely impressed by it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just checked this out tonight.  First time I've felt like playing games in a loooooong while.  And what a game to choose!! Amazing.  It all just works together so cohesively, even though at the beginning I felt like I didn't get it - before long I was bopping in my chair more than I think I've done in any game EVER.  Amazing. 

The style and presentation just works as well, somehow. Fantastic stuff!

• 1 month later...

This is on later today. I’m looking forward to it, some good musicians involved including Matt Heafy from Trivium. Hopefully it’ll be as epic as that time Mick Gordon played Doom 2016 tunes live at the Game Awards!

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this is going to be a contentID minefield when people are trying to stream or upload footage? :( I probably won't be day one for this but it would be nice to see more of it.

I've put a couple of hours into Metal: Hellsinger this evening and from a rather confusing first shot, I'm now really enjoying it. Once it clicks into place and you get a feel for the stages it feels rather like the underrated Xbox 360 era title "The Club". It's all about finding a rhythm and seeing of you can turn a run into one big combo. There is a further level of depth in that the couple of weapons I have unlocked so far also have their own rhythm and you have to adapt your playstyle around the their rates of fire and active reloads to maximise your return. Can already see a lot of fierce high score competition on the leaderboards and it's only day 1. 

I can imagine that folk that don't have a tolerance for metal as a genre are going to bounce off this, but for everybody else I'd say persevere and get used to tapping your trigger finger along with the beat (which also can change for new levels and boss encounters). 

I'm rubbish at fps and rhythm action games.  Put them together, and play via xCloud and I was getting perfects for the first three enemies. The moment I started trying it all turned to shit and I gave up.  I feel like I'm letting the developers down. ☹️

• moosegrinder changed the title to Metal: Hellsinger - Rhythm Action FPS Out Now (Also On Game Pass)