Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX

From nowhere the latest classic to get the old school revival project rework is Sega's 1986 Master System game Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

A video was revealed in today's IGN Summer Expo debut stream and it's being published by Merge games who handled the euro release of Streets of Rage 4. I'll update as more info is released.

That's a real deep cut - one of the first console games I ever played. I'll definitely be having some of this. Noticed merge games are involved who are publishing SoR4 in Europe so they must have a good relationship with Sega 

I remember finding the secret level where you keep pressing down on the bowl after killing the octopus thing? Mind blowing to young me :lol:

Oh yes!! :omg:
Like some of you this was the first console game I ever played, we had a Sinclair Spectrum and loading from tape was my only experience of gaming; that's just how it will always be is what I must've thought until one day my big brother came home with a Sega Master Sytem II which had Alex Kidd built in. You just turn it on and the game starts instantly he said, no loading and I can remember so vividly not believing him to me that simply wasn't possible. My mind was totally blown by this game and that console :wub:

image.jpeg.45b43f3e9948e62a5f58d86397084a16.jpeg

Alex The Kidd. 

If I could be serious for a moment - this was also one of my first gaming experiences and I do not have fond memories. :lol:

Prove me wrong, guys!

One of the first games I ever played (built into my first console, The Master System 2) and I barely managed to progress past level three it was so fucking hard. This is a pleasant surprise, can't believe the trailer didn't use a remix that absolute banger of a theme tune though. Who wasn't waiting to hear it for the entire duration?

This was my first console game too and I remember it as being rock fucking hard. The rock, paper, scissors bosses were the pinnacle of unfair bullshit.

Couldn’t really imagine anything that would trigger my nostalgia response more than this. The original music is imprinted on my memory forever more so it will be really odd if they don’t include it.

57 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It definitely tickles the nostalgia gland but the game wasn't really very good was it?

It was decent aside from the scissors/paper/stone bits. I was playing it recently. 

I played it so much as a kid that I could quite literally finish the first level without looking at the screen. And the paper scissors stone bits, while bullshit, were always the same. So as long as you remember what to pick, you will never lose.

Despite playing it so much, I can't say I have particularly fond memories of it. I basically only played it because the only other games I had were Golfamania, which is golf, and The Ninja which was a medieval Japan themed Commando rip off, and absolutely fucking nails hard.

Alex Kidd was relatively accessible in comparison. 

I doubt I'll get this remake, unless it's super cheap. It won't be.

I like the style - seems to suit the naffness of the character! Will be interesting if they change any of the physics as Miracle World has always been a very unforgiving game and quite stiff in its movement.

Also at this point everyone who makes a remake of a Sega game feels likely to become an official thing.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

It was decent aside from the scissors/paper/stone bits. I was playing it recently. 

Maybe I'm just bitter about Alex The Kidd as when I was playing it my dog got too excited and ran past, catching the controller cable and yanking the Master System II off the TV unit and breaking it on the floor which spelt the end of my Miracle World days.