PC VR - Hardware & Software discussion

Tried the PT mod the other day and it’s quite nerve racking!!

by the way rumours starting to circulate that Star Wars squadrons may have VR support (though unknown if that is only psvr or pc VR support) hopefully find out with today’s trailer reveal 

On 13/06/2020 at 19:05, MattyP said:

Yes have Dirt 2.0 in my Steam library had a quick go a while back! Know what you mean... 

Have some odd things going on a times between Steam VR and the Oculus software. If I fire up a Steam VR game it launches the Oculus app then loads the game (Steam VR I think sideloads though the Oculus app). It can be really jaggy like the frame rate is 5fps or something other times it will be fine. Anyone else had odd things going on like this with SteamVR content on Oculus S? 

Usually a system reset or killing off both Steam and the Oculus software sorts it but it's a bit annoying :) Did wonder at times if it was something to do with lack of VRAM on my video card - it's a GTX970 with 4GB that is partitioned in an odd way with 512MB of slow access memory. They crippled the bus width on this section of memory for some reason. 

Out of interest is anyone using a GTX970 with VR? How is your experience? Getting a replacement card* next week so it will be interesting if it makes a difference.

*It's a GTX980 TI with 6GB of VRAM which doesn't have any weird memory configuration issues. Still an old card but better than the 970 and I'm getting it for a reasonable price. This will get me though the next year until the new cards start to come through oh and I will have some money to actually buy one :D

Well it looks like the problem is solved. By the GTX 980 TI I just installed in my PC! Whoop.

It looks as if the main issue must have been the lack of video ram or probably that 512MB of slow memory. Never understood why Nvidia crippled the card like this. OK sure it's one of cost but they may as well put 3.5GB of full speed memory in there. Guess it was cheaper just putting a 4GB memory module in there. Not sure.

Anyhow everything is now working great happy days here. Also I can add that I wouldn't recommend less than 6GB of video memory and if you have odd issues and you have a GTX 970 probably time to upgrade!

Now time to use the old 970 for a build for my son. Who just wants to play Eurotruck simulator on three screens!

Looking forward to getting stuck into Half Life Alyx at some point finally!

29 minutes ago, simms said:

I've been using a 980ti for the last 5 years.  Awesom card.  I've upgraded to a RTX 2070super last week

It is indeed! It will do the trick for me until next year and seems to run most things I have thrown at it so far at 1080p@60fps. Sometimes I can push the res up a bit but frame rate is the most important for me! Just want to wait until the new consoles get released and some new graphics cards will be on the market and give me some more options. Budget will be around the £500 mark next winter probably.

Everything will have dropped in price by that point too and there won't be and COVID tax! :D 

This card works great with VR really happy with it.... especially with how little I sourced it for (sub £60). Great upgrade.

I've got a 980 (nonTi) that I've had for years. I've been surprised how well it holds up in VR but I'm lusting after a 2070 super a bit. And trying to wait for the prices to settle back down a bit/the next gen of cards to come out. Fortunately for my patience I'm being helped by having spunked a fortune on home improvement in the past few weeks combined with a covid-induced temporary pay cut.

On 11/06/2020 at 17:59, StoooTube said:

If you have access to it, I recommend trying Minecraft in VR. Even if you just download a couple of free levels and wander about. It’s pretty awesome!

Seconded.  Minecraft VR feels more real than real games.  Probably because any "real" game you're just seeing it as a game version of a real thing.

But for Minecraft it is of course identical to that "real" world. It REALLY feels you're in it.

I had the Rift S but sold it when I got the Quest and Link was released. Sometimes I wish I'd kept the Rift S because it was leagues ahead in comfort, but wireless PC gaming works very well.

I did put myself on the Valve Index list back in March, but I'm in two minds whether to get it or not. I like the controllers, and the wider FOV, but basestations are a pain to set up. Plus the cost of course.

I’ve downloaded the OVR advanced VR settings app, which has pretty much buggered up all my Steam titles. Oculus stuff works fine, but any steam titles have the menus/start screens behind me. Resetting my position seems to do nothing and the OVR settings seem to make it worse! Any ideas how to revert back to just setting your position by holding down the right button on the controller? Or how to reset my position permanently back to the right direction?

Tried the Rift S again last night after a couple of days off. I seem to get steam on the lenses right in the middle quite consistently! 

I managed one lap of Spa in iRacing going incredibly slowly in 2nd gear before turning it off. The motion sickness seems to be getting me quite easily with this. Not sure if I just need to persist with a little more every night or if this isnt going to work for me. 

1 hour ago, Marmite said:

Tried the Rift S again last night after a couple of days off. I seem to get steam on the lenses right in the middle quite consistently! 

I managed one lap of Spa in iRacing going incredibly slowly in 2nd gear before turning it off. The motion sickness seems to be getting me quite easily with this. Not sure if I just need to persist with a little more every night or if this isnt going to work for me. 

To be honest, a racing game is probably not the best to get your VR legs at first. I remember when I first got PSVR and tried the Driveclub demo … NOPE! Batman is available on PC VR, and it's a standing game where you teleport to other points in any particular room. Should be good for getting your brain used to VR. 

I haven't been able to get used to VR driving yet. I got into a beta for some kart racing game on the Quest and had to bail before even completing one lap. Having a fan blowing towards your face helps, and ginger is supposed to be good for motion sickness.

You definitely do need to build up a tolerance to it. When I first started I was OK with the teleporting stuff, but proper movement was too much. I actually got more used to it in the rocketman mode in Ritchie's Plank Experience, which has you flying around the city like Superman. I still don't like strafing movement though, if it's too fast I can't play for long.

3 hours ago, milko said:

what cars are you in? I know in Project Cars the initial career karting was pretty horrible in VR for me, the acceleration and/or handling was all just a bit too rapid I think.

Skip Barber, so nothing too crazy yet. Driving incredibly slowly too just to try VR.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

To be honest, a racing game is probably not the best to get your VR legs at first. I remember when I first got PSVR and tried the Driveclub demo … NOPE! Batman is available on PC VR, and it's a standing game where you teleport to other points in any particular room. Should be good for getting your brain used to VR. 

Yeah, could be a good shout. I dont really have time to play more than one game though. I'd rather be racing right now (or squeezing in some D2 from time to time). 

I appreciate I'm about 5 years late on this but I just dragged myself away from Google Earth VR, the first thing I tried using my new PC and Oculus Link. It's honestly incredible. I've had a PSVR and Oculus Quest since launch but I'm so excited to get stuck into proper, PC-driven VR now. Gonna gradually build up to Half Life Alyx, which I'm worried is going to be too terrifying for me to actually play if the short video of the headcrabs I saw is anything to go by. 

I'm going to try the Viveport Infinity free trial tomorrow as the range of games looks amazing. Does anyone subscribe? I wonder if it's worth keeping a subscription for in the long term. 

Also, I'm gonna put it out there: would anyone potentially be interested in swapping my Quest for their Rift S? I'm very impressed with how it all works with Oculus Link but it's still uncomfortable for me to play for long sessions. 

I got a cheap year of Viveport a few weeks ago. Not everything on there is compatible and it can be a bit fiddly but at worst it's a handy way to demo lots of things you might want to later buy on the official store.

13 hours ago, Pungee said:

I appreciate I'm about 5 years late on this but I just dragged myself away from Google Earth VR, the first thing I tried using my new PC and Oculus Link. It's honestly incredible. I've had a PSVR and Oculus Quest since launch but I'm so excited to get stuck into proper, PC-driven VR now. 

It would be good to put together a guide of VR stuff for everyone and Google Earth is right up there, especially with street view built in.

On 17/06/2020 at 23:37, Hardbattle said:

I’ve downloaded the OVR advanced VR settings app, which has pretty much buggered up all my Steam titles. Oculus stuff works fine, but any steam titles have the menus/start screens behind me. Resetting my position seems to do nothing and the OVR settings seem to make it worse! Any ideas how to revert back to just setting your position by holding down the right button on the controller? Or how to reset my position permanently back to the right direction?

I don't know if this will help you, but I used to use an old steam vr tool called ChaperoneTweak (I think I got it from here).  It's quite useful as you can just grab the position and move it.

I needed it to override the default position in SteamVR for BeatSabre because my room is a funny shape.  This did the trick - only had to update it occasionally not every time.

Might be worth trying if you are totally stuck.  Good luck!

So is the Occulus Quest horribly uncomfortable, then? I have a particularly large bonce and am very fussy when it comes to headphones and hats, so unless the headset feels like I've strapped a cloud to my face, I'm not sure it's going to be for me.

Which headset is the most comfortable?

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

So is the Occulus Quest horribly uncomfortable, then? I have a particularly large bonce and am very fussy when it comes to headphones and hats, so unless the headset feels like I've strapped a cloud to my face, I'm not sure it's going to be for me.

Which headset is the most comfortable?

I don’t find it too bad at all... maybe because I’ve never tried to play for more than a couple of hours at a time. For what it’s worth I have a big (62cm, most hats are too small) head and it’s more in the long direction than wide, think Alien not Hammerhead Shark. 

There was something about being careful to adjust the straps well but I think most people who don’t get on with it have been through that and still can’t get a happy solution. Anyway, all that weight in the front isn’t ever going to feel too cloud-like. 

14 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah, I really don't like it. Even with bits added to the headstrap, I still find that it has to push against my face hard enough to leave red marks in order to avoid it being too loose and losing the non-blurry sweet spot. I've been playing (the excellent) Top Golf Pro Putt which really highlights the problem. When facing down to look at the ball, I can't then move my head to the left to look at the hole without the front-heavy headset moving slightly and going blurry. 

I really struggle to use it for long periods and it leaves my eyes feeling strained, a problem I never had with the PSVR. I also have a giant head so that probably has something to do with it. 

I manged to grab a Rift S from John Lewis yesterday and will sell my Quest to Cex for basically the same amount, so hopefully I'll be set for longer sessions now. 

As a counterpoint, while I wouldn't exactly call it comfortable I don't have any issues with the headset moving around. I don't have a particularly large head though. :D 

The only add on I use is a cheap strap thing from Amazon, and I can happily use it for over an hour at a time.

I don't have an issue with the Quest moving about, but it does cause pressure points at the back of my head where the bottom of the strap is. I've got the replacement foam pad, which helps, and the velcro strap over the top, which doesn't make much difference.

One thing I tried the other day that has made a world of difference is adding a counterweight to the back. I have a small powerbank that I've just added a velcro cable tidy strap to, and attached that to the very back of the strap. I can feel the added weight but the pressure points are gone, and it is actually comfortable! It really is a gamechanger.

2 minutes ago, r1skbreak3r said:

One thing I tried the other day that has made a world of difference is adding a counterweight to the back. I have a small powerbank that I've just added a velcro cable tidy strap to, and attached that to the very back of the strap. I can feel the added weight but the pressure points are gone, and it is actually comfortable! It really is a gamechanger.

This is one of the reasons why Sony's headset is still one of the best. They had that designed in. The Rift S has a similar design and is all the better for it, I just wish it had OLED screens instead of LCD.

Yeah the Rift S was super comfortable. It's definitely the best PC VR headset in terms of comfort/performance/value. I'd get another one but my original one only cost me £200 and there's no chance of getting one for less than RRP these days!