PC VR - Hardware & Software discussion

simms

37 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

In Virtual Desktop mode, do you literally see your desktop with all your apps and so on, then click on Steam and choose the game from your library?

The Virtual desktop app makes launching games easy.  There is a option to Launch your Oculus games or Launch Steam VR from Virtual desktop.  I’m sure you could use the desktop view to launch games but I find navigating my desktop quite fiddly in VR but that maybe because I’m not used to it.

Cheers all. I picked up the Virtual Desktop App, Half-Life Alyx and Moss while they're all still in the sale. I got Tetris Effect as well, via the Occulus Store, but it was £23, so I might refund it for now and get it again when it's a bit cheaper. It's been an expensive bloody month as it is.

I've only had the chance to play Tetris so far, but I was sat there grinning like a loon the entire time.

Can't wait to get into everything properly!

On 29/11/2020 at 09:57, simms said:

Has anyone successfully claimed a copy of Asguards Wrath yet?  Was it straight forward?

https://www.vrfocus.com/2020/11/the-free-asgards-wrath-offer-extended-to-all-oculus-quest-2-owners/

I put in a support ticket over the weekend to claim my free copy of Aguards Wrath and was wondering when they were going to reply.  I've just opened the Oculus app and my copy of the game is sitting in my library :D

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, simms said:

HTC teasing a new headset. Tbh I cant see them unseating Oculus/Facebook lead with the Quest

Well if it doesn't need Facebook it's already got my vote, wouldn't go within a mile of an oculus product.

The Index though...

• 2 months later...

Damn, I remember buying my original HTC Vive when it launched - seems like ages ago now. It is still a great bit of kit, well made, granted I did buy the "deluxe" head strap, but it still holds up even if the resolution is a bit naff by todays standards. The tracking is amazing as well.

Well, the new one is listed on their website now

https://www.vive.com/uk/

14 hours ago, Sumire said:

Damn, I remember buying my original HTC Vive when it launched - seems like ages ago now. It is still a great bit of kit, well made, granted I did buy the "deluxe" head strap, but it still holds up even if the resolution is a bit naff by todays standards. The tracking is amazing as well.

Well, the new one is listed on their website now

https://www.vive.com/uk/

Good that the resolution has gone from 1440×1600 to 2448×2448, refresh rate from 90fps to 120fps and FoV from 110 to 120 degrees, but a shame that the move from OLED to LCD will impact the black levels. I'm guessing no HDR as well.

does it still need tracker stations? Between those and the price it still makes it such a hard sell for me personally over the Quest, despite obvious benefits (not being tied to Facebook support chiefly!)

On 07/03/2021 at 10:29, Dudley said:

Well if it doesn't need Facebook it's already got my vote, wouldn't go within a mile of an oculus product.

The Index though...

I bought a vive cosmos and despite the headset being very good, great audio and clear picture, the inside out tracking was woefull. I had to send it back. They still haven't fixed it apparently.

4 hours ago, milko said:

does it still need tracker stations? Between those and the price it still makes it such a hard sell for me personally over the Quest, despite obvious benefits (not being tied to Facebook support chiefly!)

As an OG Vive owner like Artz that's basically what I need, even over wireless to upgrade (although I'd love that too if it can still use the power of a PC).

Yeah, wireless from PC is pretty great, if the Vive accessory does it as well as the Quest then it's well worth considering (albeit yet another thing making the Vive so much more expensive) but the bulk of my use has turned out to be sat down in sims so I don't really mind the cable. I just don't really have space or need for tracker base stations and shit like that.