rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Learning to "art". Advice welcome

So I like to doodle. I'm really bad at it but it's relaxing. Like a lot of us when bored (Like in a meeting) I just start drawing any old shit on the page. Mostly random shapes. Today I decided to see if I could learn to "art" in a better way. I bought a book that actually seems pretty good. 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/You-Can-Draw-30-Days-ebook/dp/B06XCZHG9H

I'm practicing drawing balls and shading them. It's fun and relaxing. My main problem at the moment appears to be blending. The book is teaching using pencil and paper. I'm using Procreate on my iPad with an Apple pencil so I'm also slowly learning how that works. Do we have any Procreate or similar users who could advise me on the best way to setup and use my smudge tool to better mimic the effect of finger on pencil and paper?

Here's some examples of what I've been doing. This is day 1. Be gentle

YK45zha.jpg

g74DUgN.jpg

I know I'm probably never going to get good but I'd certainly settle for better. Any tips? I'm planning on practising my balls for a while. The book says a lesson a day but I'm in no rush and I'm enjoying playing with my balls.

I have a twitter account for my shart as well 

https://twitter.com/4001Shit

• Upvote 1

The number one thing I'd say is to start drawing stuff from observation and do it every day. In the short and long term that's going to get you better results then abstract exercise like drawing and shading balls (although exercises like that can be really useful).

A good starting exercise is to take a few objects that are incredibly familiar to you in terms of their shape, their heft, their texture, could be anything - videogame controller, key fob, little ornaments or knick knacks. Arrange them on the table and then draw them. Then take stock of that first drawing, pick one or more things you like about it, pick one thing you think it's missing or didn't work and that's your guide for how to approach your next drawing.

Other stuff you can just sit and draw without having to think about it before hand (sometimes the biggest killer to getting started): Draw the view from your window. Draw the mess on your desk. Draw the interior of a room. Draw a random street on google street view. Draw from old photographs.

Also constantly swap between drawing on paper and drawing digitally and try and draw as big as possible when using paper (A3 is a good size for rough sketches). Digital and traditional methods both compliment each other in terms of things like penmanship / hand control, understanding the different tactile sensations of both approaches etc. And drawing on paper you can put your whole arm in to the movements in a way that you can't on an iPad. You don't need expensive pencils or sketch pads - just anything you have lying around to start with.

• Upvote 2