IGNORED

Perfect Albums

marcus

ffbce45a073d19a84f87e440ee648ae1.1000x988x1.thumb.jpg.813c2a04bd6c6c87be4923fc34e81c8f.jpg

Not just one of the weirdest hip hop albums, but one of the weirdest albums full stop. And despite that Dr. Octagon's lyrics seem to consist of a rambling, random train of thought freakiness, it all hangs together perfectly to form a cohesive album together with the suitably weird yet alluring production. The album as a whole paints a disturbingly grotesque yet hilarious picture of the adventures of a time travelling gynaecologist from Jupiter terrorizing the people of earth. Not a single skippable track on the whole thing, even the skits never get boring (something which is still pretty damn unique in the genre) and it builds its wonderful, psychedelic crescendo up to a completely random appearance of said gynecologist's uncle who introduces himself as always carrying a dead walrus. And you think, after everything that went before, of course that makes perfect sense. A flawless master piece, one that sounded like it was from 20 years into the future in 1996 and in 2020 it still does. Perfection, one of the very few albums I always have to listen from start to finish.

On 06/06/2020 at 17:18, Nick R said:

Even some of my favourite, most consistently good musicians never made albums I'd put in the perfect category. REM, for example: as great as Lifes Rich Pageant, Document, Out of Time, Murmur and Automatic For The People are, they all contain dips I'm less keen on.

On 06/06/2020 at 21:17, MarkN said:

Agreed. REM are one of my favourite bands of all time. I'm much more into heavier/weirder stuff these days, but they're still up there. But yes - they've always managed to ruin a potentially perfect album with at least one track I don't get on with. My favourite of theirs, Murmur, is bookended by Radio Free Europe (which I like as a track, but don't think it fits here), and West of The Fields, which I'm just not that keen on. Fables of the Reconstruction starts with Feeling Gravity's Pull, which is a no no. Automatic is almost full of belters, but a couple let it down. (I think their most consistent album might be Reckoning - it's by no means my favourite, but it just works as a whole for me.)

Their perfect album is New Adventures in Hi-Fi. I can't partially listen to it, it's start to finish or nothing.

I can see people not rating Zither as it's an instrumental but it works within the sequence of the album. You come from the intensity of Binky with that sublime chorus with the shoutalong Mike Mills backing vocal (GO AWAY, GO AWAY!), then Zither settles you right back down and gives you a chance to compose yourself ready for So Fast, So Numb to hit you like a freight train.

1 hour ago, Marlowe said:

Their perfect album is New Adventures in Hi-Fi. I can't partially listen to it, it's start to finish or nothing.

I can see people not rating Zither as it's an instrumental but it works within the sequence of the album. You come from the intensity of Binky with that sublime chorus with the shoutalong Mike Mills backing vocal (GO AWAY, GO AWAY!), then Zither settles you right back down and gives you a chance to compose yourself ready for So Fast, So Numb to hit you like a freight train.

I still can't say New Adventures in Hi-Fi is among my favourite REM albums. But your post did prompt me to give it a listen all the way through for the first time in several years, so thanks for that. :)

1 hour ago, Marlowe said:

Yeah - I'd agree with that I think. Not my favourite album (like Nick R I've not listened to it in ages - I think I need to be in the right mood for it), but as a whole it is pretty much spot on - and manages it with all sorts of changes of direction and mood.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but how about?:

At-the-Drive-In - Relationship of Command

It's already been mentioned, but The The - Infected is unbelievably good and still as relevant as ever.  I mean, listen to the lyrics on this and marvel at the fact that it is 35 years old.

The title track is unbelievable as well.

Others that are all killer, no filler

Levellers - Levelling The Land

Pearl Jam - Vs

Terrorvision - Regular Urban Survivors

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

It's already been mentioned, but The The - Infected is unbelievably good and still as relevant as ever.  I mean, listen to the lyrics on this and marvel at the fact that it is 35 years old.

The title track is unbelievable as well.

Others that are all killer, no filler

Levellers - Levelling The Land

Pearl Jam - Vs

Terrorvision - Regular Urban Survivors

Always good to see Terrorvision getting some love.

6 hours ago, Marlowe said:

One of the few times that Spotify's algorithms have wrought black magic and brought me joy was when it played "Leave" to me for the first time last year. I couldn't believe that song was off the album I remembered getting a kicking on release. I should really spend more time with it.

Yes, it’s a live album but it’s pretty much perfect. So much so that the more I listen to it, the more I suspect that there’s a lot of smoke and mirrors going on, especially as it’s something like the second time they played live.

They must’ve used click tracks and you can hear loops but I also suspect some serious post production being done as the sound is too perfect for a live album by a band that barely played live together before.

Good for those who like a smoke.

Also Mezzanine by Massive Attack.

5 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Using a click track doesn't mean much anyway.

I'm not a fan of it either with recorded or live music. Rick Beato did a good video on it, focused more on software quantizing than click tracks but the same principle holds. Most classic tracks have tempos that jump all over the place and are all the better for it.

37 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Supported Terrorvision in Liverpool a few years ago, remember Tony being really friendly and chatty. 

This is reassuring as he has always come across as decent bloke. On the 1990's there were the band I had seen live the most. 

8 hours ago, Marlowe said:

I'm not a fan of it either with recorded or live music. Rick Beato did a good video on it, focused more on software quantizing than click tracks but the same principle holds. Most classic tracks have tempos that jump all over the place and are all the better for it.

I should’ve been a bit clearer - what I think is going on in that live album is more backing tracks than is obvious. And I think there’s a fair bit of re-recording being done in post-production.

I watched Rick’s video when it came out. I love recording to a click as I’ve been in so many bands where you listen back to a live or studio performance we did and the tempo was all over the shop!

I don’t agree with his fundamental point that music can’t be funky with quantisation, but that’s for another thread I guess!

On-topic, has anyone mentioned Disintegration by The Cure yet? Perfect from beginning to end, and the first album I experienced that fully put me into a cohesive other world without the aid of narcotics.

I always overthink things like this and come up with arbitrary rules in my head for them

A perfect album is not necessarily my favourite album in my head - my main rule for perfection is that every time you listen to it you never want to skip a single track and love them all, that rules out so many immediately. Plus some great albums are 'just' great collections of songs and not thematic with something that binds them together

Dark Side, Violator, Appetite For Destruction, OK Computer are amazing albums I love but all have a track or two that I'd be tempted to hit ffwd on (Blue Dress, My Michelle, Think About You etc).

A perfect album in my mind is one where you love every song a lot and it exists in its entirety as a piece, the one that always springs to mind for me is ABC Lexicon of Love, for similar reasons Jellyfish's Spilt Milk also meets my not only brilliant but sounding like a whole 'thing' test.

James Taylor - Sweet Baby James. I discovered this when I was 16 years old and still listen to it daily. It's seen me through some tough times and even Steamroller Blues is a banger.

Sugar - Copper Blue. I lost my virginity to this, fact fans so may be a tiny bit biased but I still think it is an amazing piece of work.

Nirvana - Nevermind. Obvious.

Blind Melon - Blind Melon - This is one of the most 'who is this?' albums I know. Whenever it comes on in company, people always seem to ask.

Pink Floyd - The Wall

The Clash - London Calling

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Derek and the Dominoes - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

I can't skip any songs on any of these albums - they're just magnificent.

43 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

The Best of the Beatles?

I know many will see this as sacrilege but I genuinely can't stand the Beatles, I get how big they were, how important etc, just can't listen to the songs.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

nobody going to nominate any Greatest Hits or Now Thats What I Call Music collections ?

If we’re going down that road, then one of my favourite perfect albums is ABBA Gold. 
I once went through it to make a playlist of my favourite pop songs and I couldn’t drop a single one. It’s the only thing by them I ever bought, I’m not a huge fan, but if you’re at all interested in songwriting or production, that compilation is essential listening. The production alone is flawless, still stands up.

And the songwriting and arrangements are perfect. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I know many will see this as sacrilege but I genuinely can't stand the Beatles, I get how big they were, how important etc, just can't listen to the songs.

I love the Beatles but I’m not sure if I’d describe any of their albums as perfect. Abbey Road comes close but misses out due to the dreadful Maxwells Silver Hammer by Macca.