rllmuk

51 Worldwide Games | Club Classics

I wasn’t going to bother with this but so glad I listened to the positivity here and caved. 

It really is quite brilliant, aside from a few shit card games (pigs tail and the battle one where you literally turn a card over), the whole family and I have enjoyed everything we’ve played. 

Top 3 today were: Toy Tennis, 6 Ball Puzzle and Battle Tanks.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, Nosejam said:

I wasn’t going to bother with this but so glad I listened to the positivity here and caved. 

It really is quite brilliant, aside from a few shit card games (pigs tail and the battle one where you literally turn a card over), the whole family and I have enjoyed everything we’ve played. 

Top 3 today were: Toy Tennis, 6 Ball Puzzle and Battle Tanks.

War is by far the worst card game I've ever had the displeasure of playing.

42 minutes ago, ThePixelbarks said:

War is by far the worst card game I've ever had the displeasure of playing.

I mean. Yes. But my 7 year old quite liked it. I think it requires a bit of role play to go along with it. Go with the battle motif. 

Some games have really shit AI in 1 player mode.  Twice now I've beaten the CPU at connect four on impossible difficulty, in four moves (five from him).  At chess, he was so bad it was off-putting and distracting.  I kept thinking I was missing some trap when he ignored my putting his rooks, knights and bishops under pressure.

It does seem like it’s geared around MP really. Which in some ways is a shame but I can sort of see why they focussed it on playing with others. 

Then you get glaring omissions with online like being unable to customise the number or rounds in a game of backgammon which negates the whole point scoring system and doubling. 

17 hours ago, Jolly said:

The clack noises of the tiles are lovely too. In fact, the noises everywhere are wonderful.

It very much reminds me of Hoyle's Board Games on the PC about 15-20 years ago, in terms of the almost tactile nature of the pieces, tiles and boards.

5 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I think it requires a bit of role play to go along with it.

I put on my robe and wizard hat.

• Upvote 4

It's a while since I played Uno but I'm sure the version in this is different somehow? The rounds seem over before they even begin and there seems to be little to no tactics involved since you're forced to play a valid card even if it's tactically not advantageous to do so. Maybe I'm misremembering and it was always this basic but I feel like I'm not really having any input into how the rounds pan out as it's so restrictive.

The version of Yahtzee here is as good as I remember though.

Okay, it's only just occurred to me that you don't have to choose three games to play online.

To search for just one game, press a twice on your selection.

My switch has taken one more step to become a pure mancala machine.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, BabelRich said:

Tried me some Hanafuda for the first time today.  Erm......yeah. 

Stick with it. It can take a while to get used to recognising which cards do what, but once it clicks it becomes really, really addictive. You never need to know which cards belong to which month (apart from briefly deciding the dealer at the start). 

• Upvote 2
On 07/06/2020 at 20:55, Jolly said:

The clack noises of the tiles are lovely too. In fact, the noises everywhere are wonderful. Other faves include the pat of the Ludo pieces on the board or the drop of the Mancala stones. 

DUDE

It's such a nerdily specific thing that I'm glad it's not just me to be delighted by a good clack. I've played a fair bit of dominoes and my favourite bit might be when the AI makes its moves and you get a little flurry of them. :wub:

• Upvote 1

This is absolutely glorious!  So many good games and a plethora of new ones to get into.

Two negatives for me:

- Lack of 4 player games for the whole fam to take part in

- How did they mess up Texas Holdem so badly: can't reraise as much as you want?  Can't shove all in?  What's going on?

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Slot car....3 tracks!? Hope they bring out some DLC!

It's the Mario Party Devs, I think pushing out of the door a polished, but smaller game than some would like, then moving on without DLC is the way they roll.

I don't know if it needs DLC, but it could certainly do with a patch to allow more options setting up online games. 5 point Air Hockey is fun, but I should be able to set up a lobby with an 11 point match. Or, a best of 3, since nobody ever rematches. Perhaps a Ranked mode? It's baffling why such things are missing, and I can only hope that this gets significant support moving forwards like other Nintendo games have done, where things were added long after the initial release. 

The online in this is either perfect, or terrible. I had a game of President last night which was atrocious, stuttery animations and around a two-second lag on every input. It took us ages to get through the first round, then one player dropped out and it was absolutely perfect thereafter. So it looks like one person with a bad connection knackers it for everyone.

I don't really get it because it's an online card game, surely it only needs a few bytes of info to go backwards and forwards when someone selects what card they want to play? Everything else can be done offline. The way it was playing was like it was streaming the entire match, which would be an insane way of doing it.

2 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I don't know if it needs DLC, but it could certainly do with a patch to allow more options setting up online games. 5 point Air Hockey is fun, but I should be able to set up a lobby with an 11 point match. Or, a best of 3, since nobody ever rematches. Perhaps a Ranked mode? It's baffling why such things are missing, and I can only hope that this gets significant support moving forwards like other Nintendo games have done, where things were added long after the initial release. 

I've found you get quite a lot of rematches on Air Hockey.  To the point it would be nice the if the game kept count of each persons wins and loses. 

I’m enjoying the little facts you get for each game.... the last one for Connect 4 made me laugh :)

Struggling to best the CPU on advanced level - hadn’t realised before that I was so rubbish at Connect 4. Pretty embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I’m enjoying the little facts you get for each game.... the last one for Connect 4 made me laugh :)

Struggling to best the CPU on advanced level - hadn’t realised before that I was so rubbish at Connect 4. Pretty embarrassing. 

Years ago, I got good at Connect 4 by downloading an AI program, setting it to the highest level and watching it play itself. I can’t remember much except get as many pieces as you can in the centre of the board. And the starting player can always either win or draw.

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

Toy Baseball is absolute crack, having a total blast playing it with the 10 y/o boy. 

You can see this is by the Super Mario Party devs as toy baseball is virtually the same as the baseball in that!

On 08/06/2020 at 20:14, Jolly said:

I know I keep banging on about it, but Riichi is really worth the entrance exam. So, so good. 

Right, I've just spent a good couple of hours going through the tutorial of mahjong and trying to get my head around a couple of games, and I feel like my brain has melted. I think I came second, once? Against normal AI.

It seems to me you can't even begin to take tentative steps to getting good unless you've memorised some bread and butter hands to go for. I realise the cheat sheet helps in this regard. But sometimes setting your sights on a hand and then waiting for bloody ages for the right tile to show up is excruciating! 

What I've tended to do is have a peak at the cheat sheet at the start to see if I have anything decent on and then either build toward that or just go for an 'obvious' hand (nothing fancy, just 4 sets of three and a pair). 

As @ThePixelbarks helpfully suggested up thead, it you call a tile from someone else's discards, you're committed to that set so only do it if you don't need the flexibility.

A silly small obvious thing; it's worth remembering there's four of each tile and you can see the discards so you can gauge the possibility of getting one of the tiles you're after. And keep in mind general Rummy-style possibility rules, for example you're more likely to get a run not involving a 1 or a 9 as you have the ability to go either side. 

That's Numberwang! 

• Upvote 2