IGNORED

Game Gear Micro

robotattack

12 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I've pre-ordered this.

It's very amusing how annoyed people are by the fact that the announcement turned out to be this.  I don't think Sega intend it to be much more than a barely-used novelty.

Where from and how much? Not that I'm going to order one but my resolve would be weakened if it wasn't too expensive.

12 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I've pre-ordered this.

It's very amusing how annoyed people are by the fact that the announcement turned out to be this.  I don't think Sega intend it to be much more than a barely-used novelty.

It is more the (tiny) massive waste of plastic that annoys me. 

37 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Where from and how much? Not that I'm going to order one but my resolve would be weakened if it wasn't too expensive.

8 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Where did you pre-order from?

The Rakuten link which was either here or in the other thread.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Sega are a business at the end of the day. Should they stop making games too because they need to make cases? Stuff like this is keeping a brand going.

It's more encouraging people to buy 4 bits of plastic tat instead of just the one bit of plastic tat with 16 games on that annoys me. 

It's bizarre how this has developed both a positive and negative following. Part of me can certainly appreciate the lust for a cute electronic 'thing' and especially Japanese packaging design, but this is still just a total fail for me. It's fundamentally broken by being utterly unusable, even for a young childs hands!

If they'd have at least gone the GBA micro route and made it 'just about' useable, fine! But this is straight up daft. Such a missed opportunity too.

I would absolutely love to know who came up with the idea though. And what the conversation was within the team to follow it through to manufacture.

I reckon it was originally just a series of non-playable toys - from the same school of thought as the JPN-retail-only mini Mega CD units designed to go with the Mega Drive mini. 

Shoving a tiny bit of flash storage on there and making it a functional device probably wouldn't have upped the manufacturing cost too drastically.

• 4 months later...

Well, this arrived tonight.  Came with the badges / pins, a nice display box which......was empty.  They forgot to put the actual Game Gear Micros in it.

Checked the Rakuten web page, and dozens of reviews reporting the same thing.

Morons.

Will get onto them tomorrow.

Edit.  Email from them confirming that the actual GG micros are to be shipped later!

Man, i'm digging those new chiptunes for the menu. If they made one twice the size with all 16 games on it for the western market I would chuck money at it. Skipping this for the Astro City Mini seems like the right choice though. Wish Sega hadn't forgotten that they were massive here once and we'd like some of these cool things that are exclusive to the Jpn market.