IGNORED

Game Gear Micro

robotattack

Tear the innards, pop into a busted full size game gear shell and swap out the screen for a full size lcd. Job done. Maybe see if the flash storage has space for adding other games. 

either way, I’ll probably get one as I love wasting money. 

Micro is the word here, great selection of games, but these thing are just too small for my eyes. Cool thing to have, but not something I'd game on. Only 4 games for each unit doesn't seem right.

Who here agrees, they would like a game gear the size of the GBA, with about 100 classic titles on?

2 minutes ago, Riven said:

Micro is the word here, great selection of games, but these thing are just too small for my eyes. Cool thing to have, but not something I'd game on.

Who here agrees, they would like a game gear the size of the GBA, with about 100 classic titles on?

Are there 100 classic Game Gear games?

53 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Are there 100 classic Game Gear games?

100 straight up classics might be tricky to pick out for most platforms but the humble Game Gear does have a decent amount of under-the-radar greats. Granted - many of them are RPGs and have only been made accessible recently thanks to skilled fan translators but it's definitely got a grossly underrated library IMO.

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

The GG's biggest problem is for 95% of its best games, they're also on the SMS in better resolution.

I get your point but the overlap isn't nearly as extreme as 95%. I doubt it's even as high as 40% in reality - which is amazing considering that it's the hardware which is 95% identical!

Anyway, some awesome GG exclusives to consider:

- GG Aleste II is better than Power Strike II in every way aside from screen resolution. It's amazing, really.

- The Madou Monogatari remakes (renamed Sorcery Saga I, II, III and A) are impeccably put together, super cute dungeon crawling adventures that would have been spectacular additions to the SMS library in another reality.

- Godzilla: Monsters Attack is a badass strategy game with realtime battle elements. There's nothing vaguely comparable to this on the SMS (although an amazing GG2SMS patch is out now, if a version with more screen and fewer colours appeals).

- Moldorian: Sisters of Light and Demon Child Zenki are both beautiful RPGs that make great use of the Game Gear's PC Engine-esque colour palettes..

10 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I've pre-ordered this.

It's very amusing how annoyed people are by the fact that the announcement turned out to be this.  I don't think Sega intend it to be much more than a barely-used novelty.

As much as anything my problem is this basically means no chance of a real Sega Game Gear Re-release "Mini" combined console thing.

It'd be lovely if they talked to the evercade boys.