rllmuk
layten

30 Day Game Music Challenge

Day 23 - underrated music

One of the advantages of trawling your gaming history for music ideas is you often come across music you'd forgotten how good it was. Planescape has one central musical theme that threads its way through all characters and locations and it's great.

• Upvote 2

Day 23 - underrated music

Aha! I can post this now:

In my view underrated for three reasons:

1) Is from an underrated puzzle game, Cleopatra's Fortune, that isn't that popular as it's only ever been in the arcades and one collection series.

2) It's an ending theme and the game is really difficult (I didn't even know this song existed until recently)

3) Taito in-house music band ZUNTATA tend to be known more for their work on shooters such as the Darius series.

The visuals on this aren't from the game btw.

• Upvote 3

Judging if something is underrated is tricky. Should I pick a less lauded song from a popular soundtrack? Or a great song from a less popular game? As I said, tricky. So, in the end, I've gone for an iconic song from a less-popular version of a moderately successful game:

Day 23 - Underrated music

Columns (Game Gear) - Gameplay Theme A (Tokuhiko Uwabo)

So simple, but an effective, evocative use of the Game Gear's limited sound palette. I spent far too long listening to this as a child, but it never grated.

• Upvote 3

Day 23- underrated music

Tetris - Title Screen

Everybody always talks about theme A, but this little ditty on the title screen is perfect. 

• Upvote 2

Day 24 - Music You Have Constantly Stuck in Your Head

Rhythm Paradise

WOAH! YOU GO BIG GUY! 

• Upvote 4

Day 24 - Music you constantly have stuck in your head

Summer Camp - Theme

Admittedly I do play this tune on YT a lot, so it’s going to stick eventually... but it makes good use of the C64’s limited channels to create something catchy. :) 

• Upvote 2

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - The Chosen

Day 19 - Cover

Day 20 - Music from a racing game

Day 21 - Music you associate with frustration

Day 22 - Town/village music

Day 23 - Underrated music

• Upvote 1

Day 24 - music you have constantly stuck in your head

Could easily go in Day 25 too. It's just so relentlessly good, and builds to a fantastic climax. I've had most of the SoR4 soundtrack stuck in my head since playing it but this one is just great.

• Upvote 3

Yeah I thought I was well versed in the C64 greats but never heard that one before.

Right?! Also, I didn’t put as much time into the later Rhythm Heaven games but I like @Jolly’s submission :) 

Day 23. Underrated music.

Bionic Commando Rearmed has some absolute bangers, yet never seems to pop up in music threads.

• Upvote 4

I love the BCR soundtrack :wub: and you posted my favourite with that third video...

Day 24. Music you have constantly stuck in your head.

30 odd years I have been humming or whistling this tune.

• Upvote 4

Day 24. Music you have constantly stuck in your head

Difficult because it is usually dependent on which I've heard recently, or what games I might be playing or thinking about. Quite often it might just be a phrase from a game ("Triumph or die!", "It's the final lap - keep your cool!") or a jingle like SoR turkey noise or Pacman intro.

But this tune seems to get stuck in there quite often - probably because it's just a nice simple waltz:

• Upvote 3

Picking this game was easy, but finding the theme from the specific version that's stuck in my mind is apparently impossible, so I've had to grab a gameplay video for it:

Day 24 - Music you have constantly stuck in your head

Bubble Bobble (Atari ST) - Main theme (Tadashi Kimijima)

I mean, what else is there to say? What a banger.

• Upvote 4

I enjoy all Bubble Bobble theme variations, and that one’s great, but for a brief moment the key of the song shattered expectations built from so many years of the original on MAME :D and my mind had to re-adjust quickly...

Day 24 - Music you have constantly stuck in your head

Mute City from F-Zero

and Guile's theme, obviously.

• Upvote 4

23 - Underrated music:

24 - Music you constantly have stuck in your head:

Recently this has been in my head because of that dubious PC port that I haven't played. Honest.

• Upvote 2

Dire Dire Docks always makes a bit teary. Reminds me of being a kid and the birthday I got a Nintendo 64 :wub:

Day 25 - Music That Gets You Pumped 

Dance Dance Revolution 

My Dad lived in London whilst I was a teenager and I used to visit once a month. He'd always want to take me to a museum or gallery and I'd always just want to go to the Trocadero :lol:

Watching awesome DDR players was always the highlight for me and as soon as it was available at home I picked up a copy and managed to stumble my way to a half-decent standard. Bought a hard dance mat a year or two later which is now one of those awkward, massive bits of gaming crap taking up way too much space in the loft. 

Anyway, Dynamite Rave or End of the Century were always my warm up songs. Difficult enough to feel like I was doing something impressive, easy enough that I could 100% them ^_^

I! 

DON'T! 

WANNA GIVE UP! 

• Upvote 3

Day 25 - Music That Gets You Pumped 

Strange Sunset from Street Fighter EX

Never really played the EX series much but I love this.

• Upvote 1

Yesss @acidbearboy - I never owned EX but discovered a lot of its tunes through covers, gameplay videos etc. That walking bassline :wub: 

Day 25 - Music that gets you pumped

Jets ‘n’ Guns - Flight of the Toyota

Despite so many daft mistakes leading to my demise, this tune always dragged me back in...

• Upvote 2

Day 25 - music that gets you pumped

It's the track that opened the original demo and it sets the stage and tone right out the gate. Also it's better than the remastered version. (Actually much prefer the music in the original to Red Alert too)

• Upvote 2

@Jolly Completely forgot all about that time of the Trocadero DDR experience - it was always Paranoia, Butterfly and the masses of Dutch/German Eurobeat that stick out to me.

• Upvote 1

Day 25 - Music that gets you pumped

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Pursuit ~ Cornered (Masakazu Sugimori)

When this kicks in you know someone is about to go down (in an extremely legal sense), and your trial is coming close to a fist-pumping conclusion. This could easily have been one of the equivalent tracks from later games, I've just opted for the first as, well, it's the original.

• Upvote 3

Day 26 - Music From a Game You Haven't Played 

Burning Rangers

I've never even touched a Saturn pad :(

• Upvote 3