30 Day Game Music Challenge

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

I've definitely heard that track in Wipeout at some point.

Also because I can't help myself:

Reveal hidden contents

RIP F-Zero series

I've had to look it up, and it seems that the original Messij is in both versions of Wipeout (which presumably is what you recognise), but Messij Xtnd is only the PC/Saturn version of 2097:

https://wipeout.fandom.com/wiki/Wipeout_2097

Day 21 - Music you associate with frustration

Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God - Hobgoblin Bon Appetit (Monster House theme)

Context: Sorcery Saga is tricky at the best of times, and I can be doing a run whilst already knowing that it's complete garbage because nothing is going in my favour. However, the above track is the theme of the "Monster House" rooms - random areas that cram you into a small space with a bunch of enemies that you pretty much have to defeat before they surround and overwhelm you. Not a problem if you've been lucky with drops and are in good health, but when you're scraping through the areas with next to no HP and internally wishing "please don't trigger a Monster House" then... yeah.

• Upvote 2

Day 21 - Music You Associate With Frustration 

Super Hexagon

I'm a big fan of the subgenre of 'repeatedly-bang-your-head-against-a-brick-wall' games. 

• Upvote 2

Day 21 - music you associate with getting so angry you were physically shaking

To this day, this music will forever be the only time I EVER got so frustrated with a game I screamed at a housemate walking into the living room while I was playing it. It's not even my favourite bit of music from the Souls games (though it is one of the best), and the fight seems so easy now, but you end up hearing it over, and over and over again....

Spoiler

I especially like the comments for this one as it's just a torrent of shared surprise that the track is more that a few seconds long.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Jolly said:

@MW_Jimmy, I had a tab open with that for Final Boss day ^_^

I almost chose Tainted Lover's as I almost certainly was stuck there for a lot longer, but it would be at different points.

The final track, apart from it being a favourite, still envokes a sense of dreading anticipation - the choruses are gentle and predictable and give breathing space (musically and in-game) and I still have to take some deep in-take of breath even just listening as heading into the final solo.

It's a perfect track for a music game really - killer dualing guitars signified by the drops and predictable straightforward choruses keeping it cohesive.

• Upvote 1

Easy one, this.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! - Ready Steady Go (L'Arc en Ciel, covered by Tetsushi Kimura)

I feel a bit bad picking a song not written for the game it's in, but trying to beat this on hard, then later insane, with the unskippable intro, the punishing lack of ability to take any misses... My god. And despite that, the song still gets me pumped. What a game.

The spinners can fuck right off, though.

• Upvote 4

The first thing that popped into my mind for the frustration theme were the Drum Lessons in Rhythm Tengoku. I remember working my way through, learning the ever more complex patterns and I got stuck on what I assumed to be the last lesson for so long, that when I finally did it - and the game just gave me an ever harder pattern to do instead of congratulating me - I just gave up and never went back. But the music isn't all that great.

So instead, I'm choosing Gill's theme from Street Fighter III Third Strike, cos that guy was a real cunt to beat.

• Upvote 3

Day 22 - Town/village music

Half-Minute Hero - Calm Afternoon

I’ve probably been influencing my own decision here as I’ve been streaming this game since the start of the year, but when you’re against the clock and racing to get back to safety, this chill theme is appreciated.

• Upvote 3

Day 22 Town/Village music

I had a few potential choices, but Cosmo Canyon just edges the others out for it's beautiful melancholy.

But as a bonus, the very close contender:

Spoiler

This single track transports me back to a time when N64 games seemed like a massive leap graphically, and I had just bought one with money from my first job just to play this game. It's just sheer, nostalgic joy.

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, Benny said:

Really tough one to pick this...

I really struggled with this one! Games with villages/towns in them are far too laid back for me, clearly. 

Meanwhile, I was getting too wrapped up in minutiae the other day. “Would X count? I mean it’s more like a couple of streets”, etc :P - eventually I kind of settled on “safe hub area with NPCs and vendors”...

Day 22 - Town/village music

Persona 4 - Heartbeat, Heartbreak (Shoji Meguro, sung by Shihoko Hirata)

There are more iconic tracks from P4, but honestly the most enduring, endearing memories I have of the game come from hanging out in the welcoming streets of Inaba, Heartbeat, Heartbreak playing warmly in the background. A perfect match for the game's ambiance.

1 hour ago, Jolly said:

I really struggled with this one! Games with villages/towns in them are far too laid back for me, clearly. 

That reminds me of my choice for worst contender, which makes the crucial error of not being laid back (and also of being terrible), which it turns out is unbearable when you're being subjected to it for hours on end while trying to complete fetch quests:

• Upvote 4
4 minutes ago, Wiper said:

There are more iconic tracks from P4, but honestly the most enduring, endearing memories I have of the game come from hanging out in the welcoming streets of Inaba, Heartbeat, Heartbreak playing warmly in the background. A perfect match for the game's ambiance.

I was so torn over my first Persona pick being a town theme or a battle theme :D HH is the better tune in P4, but “Your Affection” is pleasingly catchy too.

I very almost picked that track @Wiper so glad you did! I think it's the best track in the game - I didn't think a vocal track would ever work in this context but it definitely does - it's feels very breezy and summery and fits Inaba well.

@Jolly Maybe you struggled because you haven't played enough games where you wake up late for school/celebration/big important life event. Doesn't seem to be that many of them around. ;)

Day 22. Town/Village music.

Best town is best. Stick it Bagpipe freaks and Galka town. (thought I had done FFXI already for some reason, so BotW for once you dont win)

Spoiler

Best game.

• Upvote 2

Yessss @Jolly - especially when the dynamic music starts adding the extra layers as you do well :wub: 

Day 23 - Underrated music

Entwined - Fire

I didn’t think Entwined was that great, and I don’t think it received amazing praise, but equally there were a few hugely atmospheric earworms that nobody got to appreciate. The moody buildup here is pretty great, and then it just keeps going... :D 

• Upvote 2