rllmuk
layten

30 Day Game Music Challenge

Strong contender for my favourite piece of music ever today. May request it's played at my funeral. Sort of fits. 

Day 16 - 16 Bit Music

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts

• Upvote 2

Day 16 - 16-bit music

Thunder Force IV - Air Raid

Tunes like this really play to the strengths of the Megadrive, with that popping bassline and reverb-y melody. So good. :wub: 

• Upvote 3

I was just about to post Metal Squad from TFIV actually. Let's think of another...

Day 16 - 16-bit music

A very recent discovery of the game and soundtrack.

• Upvote 3

Day 16 - 16 bit

Or if we don't mind repeat games from other people per day:

Definitely the track to pick from TFIV @Qazimod :P

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

Definitely the track to pick from TFIV @Qazimod :P

I ain’t even mad: there are so many winners in III and IV that I almost expected overlap between people eventually... :) 

5 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I ain’t even mad: there are so many winners in III and IV that I almost expected overlap between people eventually... :) 

Honourable mention for the "Stranger" track from TFIV because of how great the bit when it kicks in is:

Spoiler

You've been fighting the enemy fleet with your wingmen, only for a giant angel-like mecha to show up and waste them all, prompting you to have to tool up your ship after the encounter.

• Upvote 1

Day 16 - 16 bit music

Streets of Rage 2 - Dreamer (Yuzo Koshiro)*

So many good tracks to pick from over so many different games, but in the end I've opted for one of the more obvious choices. This and Turrican were amongst the first games to awaken in me an appreciation for just how much music mattered, well, generally, never mind in a game. What a fucking soundtrack.

Loving everybody's choices, by the way; the 16-bit round is just filled to the brim with brilliance, to nobody's surprise. Pleased to note the MD doing so well, mind; I do love its crunchy synths, but have seen a fair few negative takes on it over the years (particularly 'back in the day'). Nice to see it getting recognition here, at least ^_^ A little surprised at the lack of ST (or, I suppose, Amiga) games appearing though.

5 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

@Benny

Day 16 - Music that is too good for a pinball game.

I'd half agree, if it weren't for the fact that Devil Crush is fully deserving of its music. What a belting pinball game it is!

*Incidentally, I'd love to know which three tracks in SoR2 are Kawashima's, but I've never been able to find an article pinpointing them. If anyone does know I'd appreciate a heads up!

• Upvote 3

Amazing, ta! Looks like I almost picked one of Motohiro's; Expander was my second choice. 

On 15/06/2020 at 10:30, MW_Jimmy said:

@Lyrical Donut Great choice - but you're denying us the beautiful opening animation to Puyo Puyo Sun! :P

I'd completely forgotten about that intro! :lol:

14 - Boss music:

16 - 16-bit music:

• Upvote 3

Day 17 - Music You Never Get Tired Of

Geometry Wars 2

All the music in 2 was pretty good, but this is the one that has been playing at a low hum at the back of my head for the past 12 years. A much better arrangement than the original. 

• Upvote 2

I expect nothing less than ludicrously extended edits today ;) 

Day 17 - Music you never get tired of

Skullgirls - Pick of the Litter (Character Select)

An awesome bit of melodic sweetness before the full-on jazz assault of the stage themes... :wub: 

• Upvote 1

Day 17 - music you never get tired of

Passing Breeze from Outrun.

I love this tune and I have listened to a million different arrangements/remixes of it and the melody always shines through.

• Upvote 3

NiGHTS still feels pretty unique in its music in that everytime I play it it can surprise me. The above is the standard tune, split into six parts. But equally it could also be this tune:

Songs are split into 6 parts which can be one of 4 sections of music. 24 separate parts of music in total which can be rearranged into 4096 versions (I think?) of the song. Best part is that the game gives no clue when you play if the music will be different from last time, so everytime you play it feels like watching your favourite band live and they could let rip with a flute, harmonica or bagpipe solo at any moment?

I chose this track because it's the one I've played the most - the first act you can create an infinite chain of the entire level and so have spent endless hours looping both the 'track' and soundtrack.

• Upvote 3

Day 17 - music that never gets old

The first time they did music in a Zelda game like they did in Mario Galaxy, and boy was it an epic masterclass of joy.

• Upvote 2

I'm making a distinction somewhat from music that never gets old, and music you constantly have stuck in your head coming up later.

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, Jolly said:

Day 17 - Music You Never Get Tired Of

Geometry Wars 2

Each mode in 2 had ace tunes. :) Also, I don’t know if you played Galaxies, but I had the DS version and there was some awesome original music in there too. (And Galaxies is overdue an update anyway; maybe it could be a good fit for some kind of futuristic Nintendo console with detachable controllers and a dock for the TV... :sherlock: )

• Upvote 1

Day 17. Music you never get tired of

Bonus cover editions!

Spoiler

Multi shotgun barrel shooto

Mandatory Metal cover!

Always knew these poxy things were possessed

Last, but by no means least... The Floppotron!

• Upvote 2

One Must Fall 2097 - Main Theme (Kenny Chou)

I mean, 'never' is a long time, but it's been 26 years and I still love this song, so it seems a reasonably safe bet. The moral of the story here is, if you don't have a composer on your team, hire a demo scenester!

• Upvote 2

Day 18 - Music From the Year You Were Born 

Xevious 

• Upvote 4

Day 18 - Music in a game released the year you were born

Lazy Jones - Star Dust

I can’t believe this track ripped off the 1999 song Kernkraft 400, etc etc...

• Upvote 4

Day 18 - Music in a game released the year you were born.

Had to take a slight liberty with this one. I listened to a bunch of videogame music from titles released in 1982, but there was nothing I liked or recognised, so I've picked the vocoder-tastic electro track "Yars' Revenge" from an obscure Atari themed 12" (both the game and the vinyl were released in 1982).

https://www.discogs.com/Unknown-Artist-Atari-Yars-Revenge/release/2086746

• Upvote 4

Day 18 - Music in a game released the year you were born.

Pengo - 1982

• Upvote 1