30 Day Game Music Challenge

Inspired by this, which has been great fun, I have just started a topic in the music folder where we can do a very similar thing during July, but for music from outside of video games. I'll probably post again on Wednesday when it actually starts, but you may want to pop over now and check the categories and start thinking about what to share.

• Upvote 1

26 - Music From a Game You Haven't Played:

Nothing particularly outstanding - just a nice slice of WTF.

27 - Music from a handheld game:

And, well - you can't have a Rhythm Tengoku post with out a bonus reeeeeemix:

Spoiler

28 - Music that makes you feel nostalgic:

29 - Final Boss music:

• Upvote 2

Day 30 - Credits Music

Tetris Effect 

It's quite a bit different to the version in the first level so it counts, o.k? :P

This has been great fun everyone, really enjoyed it!

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, acidbearboy said:

Day 30 - end credits music

Castle in the Mist from Ico

I been keeping a playlist as this goes on. The link is below if anybody is interested. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCHP-ii1uLUwp4JHLW2qs-EoeTBjgWQtD

Bit disappointed that I didn’t manage to find room for music from Parappa the Rapper or Katamari Damacy. 

Rats! That was going to be my one. EDIT: Actually it was going to be the You Were There track.

@Jolly had just done the final boss music, whilst I was waiting for today... :D 

Day 30 - End credits

Super Mario World - Ending

I mean, SMB3 is pretty solid too, but this sounds like the end of a stage performance or something, especially when it picks up at 1:55 :wub: 

• Upvote 1

Day 30 - credits music

Someone took Ico but I noticed Jet Set Radio Future hasn't been on the list yet. WHAT. Credits medley should make up for that.

• Upvote 3

Easy peasie one, this. Screw that TLOU nonsense, the French have been doing tragic AAA games since at least 1991, all the while somehow managing to keep the kill count under 100 ;)

Day 30 - Credits music

Also, how's that for a credits roll? Mr "a Hideo Kojima game" wishes he had this level of creative input.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Jolly said:

This has been great fun everyone, really enjoyed it!

Yeah, it’s been nice to dig through so much history when selecting tracks. I‘ve enjoyed everyone’s picks and am generally happy with my own (although day 2 was super-hard and I bet I could have found something else given the time...)

As I have a few bits of capture and editing software I’m tempted to stitch my choices together into one huge video on my own channel for the sake of preservation. It could be a copyright minefield, but the individual videos I posted were safe enough, so I’ll think about it. :)

Also, I kept an alphabetic list to check that I wasn’t repeating my own choices, so yay:

Spoiler

Alphabetic list so far

A King’s Tale: FFXV (13)

Anarchy Reigns (26)

Creatures (6)

Cuphead (15)

Desert Strike (1)

Devil May Cry V (14)

Entwined (23)

Half-Life 2 (8)

Half-Minute Hero (22)

Jets ‘n’ Guns (25)

Lazy Jones (18)

Mega Man X3 (2)

The Messenger (7)

Nier (5)

Persona 4 Golden (10)

Platoon (9)

Polarium (11)

Power Drift (20)

Pursuit Force (4)

Shadow of the Beast (28)

Shatterhand (3)

Skullgirls (17)

Sorcery Saga (21)

Space Channel 5 (29)

Summer Camp (24)

Super Mario World (30)

SSF2T HD Remix (19)

TWEWY (27)

Thunder Force IV (16)

Undertale (12)

• Upvote 1

Day 30 - End Credits Music

Ahh! Persona 4 Dancing All Night is basically a massive goodbye to the P4 world. Ends with a track which is both heavily disarming with is melancholy underneath a positive exterior, plus the contextual nature of it makes it the obvious choice. I'm robbing those who haven't played the game of this feeling a little bit, but equally I am saving you 100-200 hours across two games to get to this point!

This always feels like an end.

I too have put all my choices into a playlist here (and removed any long repeating versions so can just play start to finish):

• Upvote 3

Hope no one minds me joining in late, I started doing this on Twitter the other day for some distraction from how depressing it is.

Day 1: Title Screen Music

Persona 4 - Corridor of Memories

I love the Persona series & this was my entry to it. I played it & 3 back to back, my flatmate didn’t get near the tv for 6 weeks.

Spoiler

Day 2: Opening Level Music

Doom - E1L1

Need I say more?

Spoiler

Day 3: 8 Bit Music

Ocean Loader 4

Perhaps a strange choice & certainly one that’s not going to fit into any other category. The C64 was my first computer, I played a lot of Ocean games, and this is my favourite version of their loader. I am old.

Spoiler

Day 4: Music from a Console Exclusive Series

Mario 64 - Dire Dire Docks

Spoiler

Day 5: Overworld Theme

Nier Automata - City Ruins

Maybe not what the creator of the list had in mind. Nier Automata has one of the best soundtracks ever imo.  I should use lockdown to play through it again (x3).

Spoiler

Day 6: Music that makes you feel relaxed

Flower - Splash of Colour

I love Flower and still think it’s one of the best uses of the sixaxis. It’s also very relaxing, during Fable 3 dev I used to come home & fly for 1/2 hour to relax before doing anything else

Spoiler

Day 7: Music from an Indie Game

Dustforce - Cider Time

I love this soundtrack and still listen to it regularly when working.

Spoiler

Day 8: Shooter

Halo - A Walk in the Woods

That bass!  I first played Halo during Dare to be Digital in ‘02 with a friend on the team.  All the Halos I’ve played have been co-op with him (except ODST).  Should catch up with the XBone ones one of these days.

Spoiler

Day 9: Licensed Game

Goldeneye - Facility

So much time at uni spent playing this game.  A lot of multiplayer played in the Glasgow Uni TV office back in ‘98.

Spoiler

Day 10: RPG Battle

Persona 5 - Last Surprise

Spoiler

Day 11: Puzzle Game

Chime - Paul Hartnoll: For Silence

Cheating with the licensed track but I adore Chime and this track, I was top 10 in the leaderboards for it for a while. It I can’t have this, the Sensitive on the C64 played so much of that as a kid.

Spoiler

• Upvote 4

Day 12: Music That Makes You Sad

To The Moon - Everything's Alright

An easy one this, no game has ever destroyed me as much as To The Moon.  Laura Shigihara & Kan Gao's soundtrack is amazing. Play it if you haven't.

• Upvote 1

Day 13: A Game You Didn't Like

Final Fantasy XIII - Prelude

Did not get on with this at all, but I do like this piece, especially the underlying bit to it all - what you hear for the first 40 seconds.

• Upvote 1

Day 14: Music With Vocals

Mass Effect - M4 Part II

Maybe cheating again, but I love Mass Effect and this song. Like the song in the softball episode of The Simpsons it has the ability to make you feel nostalgic for what you just finished.

• Upvote 1

Day 15: Boss Battle

Dark Souls - Gwyn, Lord of Cinder

What a game, what a beautiful, mournful piece of music. I thought about picking the firelink shrine music for relaxing but the music's not, the feeling of getting there is... until it isn't.

Day 16: 16 bit

Secret of Mana - Fear of the Heavens

This takes me back, love the music & the game (I should stop saying that).  When we were doing the co-op for Fable 2 I suggested we rip of the item wheels from this, but we didn’t.

• Upvote 1

‪Day 17: Music you never get tired of‬

‪Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Icarus ‬

‪This is the entire soundtrack tbh, and I’ve been listening to it for 9 years apparently, doesn’t seem that long. This has appeared multiple time in my Spotify year end lists.‬

• Upvote 1

‪Day 21: associate with frustration ‬

‪Eternal Sonata - Pyroxene of the Heart‬

‪Cheating/semantic loophole but the frustration here is why couldn’t the game be better? Love the soundtrack, enjoyed the demo, gave up on the game.‬

Day 22: Village Music

Fable 2 - Oakfield

Picking a game I worked on :unsure: Lovely music from Russ. I wrote so many unique NPC behaviour for this region the player will never notice. Hard to believe it’s been almost 12 years…

• Upvote 2

Day 24: music you constantly have stuck in your head

Ico - Castle in the Mist

Day 25: music that gets you pumped

Mirror’s Edge - Still Alive

Love this game, played it without using guns cause I hate myself. It came in one of those blips where big pubs are willing to try something different.

• Upvote 2

‪Day 26: music you like from a game you’ve never played‬

‪Shenmue - Shenmue‬

‪Had a Dreamcast (purchased a few hours before Sega discontinued it… timing!) but never got around to it. Watched the GDC talks tho. Too late to look for sailors.‬

• Upvote 1