rllmuk
dumpster

What uber-rare thing did you once get rid of and regret?

Not rare in the slightest, but dear to my - my indigo Gamecube, bought in the US with a handful of games. When we moved out here I got rid of it because we had to downsize to ensure we could pack everything into X amount of boxes. I think I got £12 for it, with all the games and a Wavebird controller. Chipped PS2 and Xbox 360 didn't go for much more either.

And six months later, when out stuff arrived, I almost wept at some of the utter rubbish we bought with us. I should have just kept one box and stuffed it with all my retro stuff. Would have been worth paying extra. 

Ended up buying an Indigo GC off someone here locally, as well as a PS2 from Cash Converters. Cool but still not the same.

• Empathy 1

When I was at Game, we cleared out Saturn stuff and started getting deliveries of 4 specific Saturn titles which we sold for £2.99.  Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga were the two I bought but in hindsight I should have rung the warehouse and got them to send me every copy they had.  Then when I got a PC for the first time, I was so excited by the prospects of eBay that I sold Panzer Dragoon for a good profit.  I paid 2.99, and sold it for £45.  Hindsight again teaches me that I would have got a lot more even then if I owned a digital camera, was able to put photos on the listing, or even had any sort of previous feedback profile, but being new and naive I didn't realise how much my auction looked liked an obvious scam when it was legit. Someone got a bargain.  

Working in games retail meant we had plentiful supplies of everything, because  nothing is rare until it becomes rare.  We had shelves full of Castlevanias, Samba de Amigos etc.  We could ring the warehouse and get extras if we knew we could sell them.  There was also situations like when the NeoGeo Pocket was pulled from the UK and all the stores had to return everything they had. Could have bought it all instead.  Or the day we randomly got a delivery of MultiMegas, many years after they were discontinued and they were priced to clear at £50.  

I even remember my boss at the time kicking a CD32 across the floor so it could be written off as faulty, and my area manager smashing up a 3DO because it was a store asset and she legally had to see it be broken and binned for some reason. 

• Upvote 1

Remember around 2001 when EB got a load of new Jaguar, Game Gears and Lynx consoles in? I think they were ex-telegames stock. I bought a brand new Jaguar for £9.99 and one of those Majesco Game Gears, I think that was £19.99.

frontofbox1.jpg

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Remember around 2001 when EB got a load of new Jaguar, Game Gears and Lynx consoles in? I think they were ex-telegames stock. I bought a brand new Jaguar for £9.99 and one of those Majesco Game Gears, I think that was £19.99.

frontofbox1.jpg

Why did Telegames have so many Atari Jaguars? 

Back in 2003 I had a load of Cave and Raizing pcbs. I’m talking Guwange, Esprade, Dangun Feveron, Garegga, Bakraid, Batrider. The works. Got them all fairly “cheap” by today’s standards, like i’m pretty sure Guwange was £150 or something.  Really regret shipping them on. 

Shit, come to think of it I had Strider, Turtles, rtype (which was given to me as not working (it was). What was I thinking?!?!

• Empathy 1

Mint panny q, vectrex, wondermega (both victor models), RGB modded Pc engine duo r to name a few.....all worth probably 3 or 4 times now, what I sold them for lol

A Creative 3DO Blaster and CD-ROM drive which I bought back in the 90's on the cheap. I think I pretty much gave it away some time in the 2000's. Now thanks to this video I know they sell for a fortune.

Also a Nvidia NV1 Diamond card, fully boxed with a few games and Saturn Pad. I think CEX give me 20p and some used chewing gum for it.

• Upvote 1

In terms of games I chose to sell, I think Shining Force III is the only one I really regret. I did at least finish it before selling it (which is largely why I sold it - getting to the end and realising I'd never get to play the actual conclusion was somewhat disheartening), but it's a game I'd like to revisit.

Really, though, my big regrets aren't really my own, but the array of stuff I've lost due to my parents.

There was the Atari STe that my mum left out in the garden for a few weeks while I was visiting my dad; it got trashed, unsurprisingly. That was a bit of a pain to come home to, though less of a pain than when I came back from my gap year working abroad to find she'd given away all my ST software because I had nothing to run it on any more. Not sure how much of it would be considered 'rare', but it was a big collection. Personally I most regret losing Captive, the Turricans, Pushover, Fire 'n' Ice, Prince, Rodland, Bubble Bobble and Another World.

Worse than that, though, is the vast majority of my big box PC game collection. I had a small number with me when I went to university, but the vast majority stayed at my dad's... and were repossessed along with his house when he defaulted on his mortgage. I've been gradually trying to rebuild it ever since, including reasonably large sums for some of my favourites over the years (Day of the Tentacle and TIE Fighter amongst them), but some games are just too obscure or too expensive for me to ever hope to rebuy in decent condition: games like Guilty (the sequel to Innocent Until Caught), Beneath a Steel Sky and the EGA version of LOOM.

2 hours ago, geldra said:

Shit, come to think of it I had Strider, Turtles, rtype (which was given to me as not working (it was). What was I thinking?!?!

Yowsers, ouch!! :(

I had a lovely collection of Amiga titles which I had to sell to get a pc. Really regret that, since a lot of them are now weirdly expensive. I did get a lot of them back in the early days of ebay though. However, Turrican and Rick Dangerous 1-2 alluded me even then and are the ones that really really annoy me!

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

In terms of games I chose to sell, I think Shining Force III is the only one I really regret. I did at least finish it before selling it (which is largely why I sold it - getting to the end and realising I'd never get to play the actual conclusion was somewhat disheartening), but it's a game I'd like to revisit.

Selling my Japanese Shining Force 3 collection complete with bonus disc that I got by writing to Camelot and sending them the spine cards (which I believe was the offer in Japan) isnt a regret but it is something that I miss owning. 

I was amazed that they sent the bonus disc all the way to Essex. It was hell trying to find a translation for the bonus content, was hard enough playing through the full game with a printed translation that ran into what must have been hundreds of pages!!

I also had a PAL copy the first chapter.

I don't think I realised what a great collection I had when I got rid of my Saturn (I miss playing Guardian Heroes). 

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Gloomy Andy said:

Selling my Japanese Shining Force 3 collection complete with bonus disc that I got by writing to Camelot and sending them the spine cards (which I believe was the offer in Japan) isnt a regret but it is something that I miss owning. 

I was amazed that they sent the bonus disc all the way to Essex. It was hell trying to find a translation for the bonus content, was hard enough playing through the full game with a printed translation that ran into what must have been hundreds of pages!!

I also had a PAL copy the first chapter.

I don't think I realised what a great collection I had when I got rid of my Saturn (I miss playing Guardian Heroes). 

Definitely my Dreamcast and all the peripherals I bought with it, Samba especially and the 2 sets of maracas.

I just decided to treat myself to a Taiko drum for PS4 to try and recapture those fun times

I think it's fairly easy to look back with hindsight and regret selling stuff (which usually comes down to item being worth a lot of money these days) so I think a better question is what do you regret getting rid of at the time/shortly afterwards.

I definitely regret getting rid of my big box Amiga and PC games, which I had to do as my parents were moving and I didn't have space where I lived to keep them. We spent an afternoon flattening all the boxes and putting them in a skip (a task made longer because I *obviously* had to meticulously study and review each box). I don't think there would've been anything particularly valuable in there, but there was something nice about big box games (and the paraphernalia that accompanied them).

I don't actually recall what happened to various consoles/computers though. The only one I imagine would be worth anything would've been the Amiga CD32 - it must've been put in the skip with loads of other stuff.

I also had 4 fruit machines plus the Wrestlefest arcade machine in my parent's shed, which was an old stone shed that my friend and I had converted (we waterproofed the walls and floor, put carpet in, lights and plugs, wired to the main house). We used to have a lot of fun playing on them of an evening, it was a mini arcade. I sold Wrestlefest and a couple of the fruit machines but had to destroy the rest and dump them in the skip too. Man, just typing this post had made me rather wistful. Good times.

• Empathy 2

Not uber rare exactly, but goes for a decent chunk of change: Shining Force CD. Used to own it, have absolutely no idea what happened to it, along with my other mega cd games, the mega cd itself and my mega drive. I guess I must have lent them to someone, but no idea who. 

I had a neo geo pocket colour with about 5 games, metal slug, golf and a few others. I sold it when I was in the army to my platoon sergeant so I could go out on the piss in catterick. To be fair I was only about 18 and probably ended up in the guardhouse as a result of said piss up :) 

I let all of my collection go between about mid 2006 and late 2007 before emigrating, and miss some of it massively. Mostly my Saturn collection.

I kept a complete list which I still look at wistfully.. it was by no means a huge collection but it did contain stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Elevator Action Returns, Keio 2, Shining Force 3.. and plenty of quite ordinary stuff. Amazes me now to see things like PAL Sega Rally or VF2 for $40 AUD+..

Obviously plenty of other stuff has passed through my hands during the 8 and 16 bit era but that was naturally traded up.

The other pain point is I always kept my consoles perfect, boxed.. right down to original little tie wires for the controller cords. Hard to find like that now. 

It was a nightmare to sell piece by piece too, horrible experience, and I didn't get very much cash out of it as far as I remember. Perhaps a grand or so. There were a few items left which I gave to my best friend (including PAL Shenmue 2!). He later took them to the car boot sale and I bet one of you got the lot for 20 quid!

NEVER SELL YOUR COLLECTION!

• Empathy 1

Only two things, which aren’t that rare. My 250gb gloss white XBox 360 slim. My limited edition of Wind Waker  with the Ganondorf statue.

I think I mostly regret not selling stuff, not that I have anything all that rare I think. All that clutter not even being looked at, being dragged from house to house in moves. Still though, there's an NGPC and a few games somewhere in the loft, untouched for years, and I see a few people mentioning that. Are they worth something now then? I think I've got the original box for the console and some of the carts.

• Upvote 1

My PS2 stash.  Non of the games were rare but they each had a reason why I bought them.    The Ico Limited edition box with the postcards. I just loved the game so much (especially the sounds of the wind and waves when you were on top of the castle) and the postcard really nice.   The Gregory Horror Show because someone on this forum said it was amazing.   My copy of Sky Odyssey just because of the interesting challenges with each plane type like fly over a mountains range etc.

Sold them in the end to clear space in the living room.  Should have kept them to at least look at the covers.

Similar regrets with throwing away over a decade of Edge magazines.

When my dad bought us our first family PC in the mid-90s, I sold my Amiga A1200, 420MB hard drive and all my games to a mate for around £150. It hurts me to this day that I could be so fucking stupid. If I still had it, I'd have a memory upgrade in it and that hard drive full of WHDLoad games and I would be a very happy man indeed.

I also briefly owned a PC Engine Core Grafx and a Multi-Mega, both of which I sold on shortly after and both of which I regret greatly.

I think these experiences have mostly taught me a lesson as I still have my Saturn and Dreamcast collections, still own a modded PS2 with hard drive and a modded PS1 with healthy collection of official PAL titles.

I did sell my collection of Megadrive games to a chap on here a few years ago - I think there was 70-odd in there. I actually don't miss them that much - they took up way too much space and my conscience is fairly happy with my ownership of an Everdrive cartridge. But I did include Japanese copies of the 3 main Sonic games in that, and I do regret that a little. The packaging on those games was magnificent.

This is a painful thread. These are the ones that immediately come to mind:

SNES + 50 or so mint, boxed games

GBA Micro (Famicom anniversary edition) + around 50 mint, boxed games

Neo Geo Pocket (2 consoles and an almost complete UK collection of mint, boxed games)

Snatcher (Mega CD)

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Dreamcast (30 or so mint, boxed games). This one really hurts - I loved the Dreamcast.

I still have my Gamecube + games but not much else. I am such an idiot.

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

The Ico Limited edition box with the postcards. I just loved the game so much (especially the sounds of the wind and waves when you were on top of the castle) and the postcard really nice.

This is absolutely worthless even now. I looked at selling mine as i'll never play it again, especially on PS2 and it's worth about £10. It must be undesirable just due to the fact you can play it on PS2, PS3 and even PS4, despite the box and art cards. So pick it up before it does rise in price!

13 hours ago, pastry said:

I let all of my collection go between about mid 2006 and late 2007 before emigrating, and miss some of it massively. Mostly my Saturn collection.

I kept a complete list which I still look at wistfully.. it was by no means a huge collection but it did contain stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Elevator Action Returns, Keio 2, Shining Force 3.. and plenty of quite ordinary stuff. Amazes me now to see things like PAL Sega Rally or VF2 for $40 AUD+..

Obviously plenty of other stuff has passed through my hands during the 8 and 16 bit era but that was naturally traded up.

The other pain point is I always kept my consoles perfect, boxed.. right down to original little tie wires for the controller cords. Hard to find like that now. 

It was a nightmare to sell piece by piece too, horrible experience, and I didn't get very much cash out of it as far as I remember. Perhaps a grand or so. There were a few items left which I gave to my best friend (including PAL Shenmue 2!). He later took them to the car boot sale and I bet one of you got the lot for 20 quid!

NEVER SELL YOUR COLLECTION!

Is the value column how much you sold the item for? £15 for a Mega CD2? Ouch!

40 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

This is absolutely worthless even now. I looked at selling mine as i'll never play it again, especially on PS2 and it's worth about £10. It must be undesirable just due to the fact you can play it on PS2, PS3 and even PS4, despite the box and art cards. So pick it up before it does rise in price!

A lot of the copies are absolutely battered. If yours is in good condition then it will be worth more, but it’s definitely from a monetary perspective one of those that you should have sold 15 years ago when it went for £40+. 

On 31/05/2020 at 03:32, DumbMagician said:

My small but perfectly-formed US Snes RPG collection:

FF 6

Earthbound (with the scratch and sniff booklet)

Chrono Trigger

Terranigma 

Super Mario RPG 

Secret of Mana 

:(

Oh, hell. :(

5 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Is the value column how much you sold the item for? £15 for a Mega CD2? Ouch!

No, what I guesstimated their value at when i was planning to sell – though I highly doubt I got more than 15 quid!

Of course these sorts of thing were easy finds in every Gamestation in the early 2000s. I picked up some good deals back then, because nobody wanted Sega stuff. I think I paid 15 quid for my 32x and about 25 for a Mega CD1! Not sure what my list says but also don't recall paying much for great games like Guardian Heroes either.

Not necessarily rare in terms of numbers printed, but quite special to me and rare in that they were in mint condition - my US SNES copies of Final Fantasy 2/4, FF 3/6, and Secret of Mana.