What uber-rare thing did you once get rid of and regret?

My mint condition SNES collection , especially link to the past. Oh and my mint zelda g&w.

I do kinda regret selling my game gear collection too. I had about 80 games ( mostly unboxed) and I sold them all including two game gears and a charger) for about 90 quid on ebay.

3 minutes ago, dr zoidberg said:

I had a Panasonic Q.

Had to sell pretty much all of my game related stuff several years ago due to being made redundant. 

I wish I could’ve kept the Q.

:(

About to say the same. Such a beautiful monster.

I've kept nearly all the games I've ever bought; it's very unusual for me to trade in or sell them.

But in about 2003 I bought PAL Bangai-O for the Dreamcast when it was £5 in Gamestation. I played it for a few hours and struggled to get into it (and also I was worried about the unhealthy noises it made my DC's disc drive make), so I traded it back in within a day or two.

The regret isn't so much about the game's value - recently completed eBay auctions for the PAL version have mostly gone for about £30-£40. So the regret is not really about the game's value, more because after I sold it I found out how well-regarded it is by shooter fans, so I regret not giving it much of a chance to get into it.

I cleared out all my MD, SNES, PS1 and N64 stuff back in 2008. Included quite a few rarish games and I got about £1500 on ebay in total, which I was quite pleased with at the time.

The prices have shot up so much since then though, I believe. My biggest sale was about £90 for a complete/near mint SotN, and a number of others (Suikoden etc.) went for around £50. I'd only like to have them back so I could sell them again now.

I used to feel like this a lot, particularly for my Dreamcast and about 50 games which I traded in for a PS2 slim when that came out so I could play Pro Evo 4 (my Xbox had long since packed in, unfortunately), but I've only really got recent stuff now, and I don't miss any of it or regret not being able to sell Burning Rangers for a lot more than I did back then. Most games that are worth playing again will get a rerelease at some point, and life's too short to worry about not playing Headhunter or Rogue Squadron again.

Not really in the spirit of the question though, so I'll offer up one that I regret not buying - Steel Battalion. It looked amazing, but £100 is a lot when your 15. I could have picked it up as a student I suppose, but beer was a much higher priority. I'll likely never play it now, due to the price and the fact I can't be arsed to get a set up that won't look garbage on my massive TV.

Not worth loads but

a ps2 beatmania Iidx arcade style controller I imported from japan

a custom built pop n music controller which was super sexy

a custom jaguar controller with a spinner mod for tempest. 

Oh, and castlevania SOTN for ps1 with the soundtrack. 

the music controller sting the most as I’ve just got back into those series and I’m eying up some eye wateringly expensive custom controllers. 

7 hours ago, Marlowe said:

Not uber rare, but I sold a Famicom 20th anniversary edition Gameboy Micro years ago which I regret. Beautiful piece of kit.

Someone bought one for my birthday years ago and I never played it because it looked so nice and I already had a silver Micro. Bit shocked to see how much they go for on eBay!

Trading my us snes and 60-70 games for an amiga 1200.

Selling panzer dragoon saga after buying it for £3.

selling my lynx collection

selling my original n64 and 30 add games

selling my sega nomad

i have many gaming regrets

This is a large part of why I don't sell much.  Most of the stuff I've sold over the years was stuff that was still sealed, and predominantly Xbox 360 / ps3 stuff I didn't have a huge want to keep, or attachment to.

My biggest early regret was Kirby's Dream Course for SNES.  I bought it for a fiver, walked across town, traded it in for something else (I got £7 credit or something) and regretted it since, mainly as I bought 2 games that day.  The other was Williams Arcade Greatest Hits.  So much regret as I tried to pretend to love Sinistar...

In adult gaming, probably my Neca portal gun, what a thing :(

Being about £2 short of buying a £20 copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga back in the day, long before having any kind of credit.

Other than that, my mum threw away all the boxes for my 16/32-bit Sega stuff which was annoying - the MK1 Mega Drive and Saturn Memory Card boxes are surprisingly valuable these days.

I also sold Moho on Dreamcast just before the price of it went through the roof. Not too angry about it though because it was terrible.  I do miss all my Dreamcast and Saturn stuff but I wound up getting into the position where all the games I was buying for a collection's sake were rubbish.

19 hours ago, CovisGod said:

My mint NES collection...

I sold a lot of my retro gaming collection when I was young.

Paper Mario 64, Banjo Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day... mint condition...

:(:( :(

Got an absolutely terrible p/x price for my mint boxed Amiga 1200 around the time of the uk Playstation launch. Huge regret as I was carrying it around on the Bus to Bristol and didn't want to carry it and the Playstation back.

Stupid stupid cunt.

The one thing was throwing out a CD32 with SX-32 expansion because it was “playing up a bit”, along with an Amiga 4000 keyboard. That’s all probably worth about a grand now. But to be fair, I probably spent more than the equivalent of that at the time on the kit. I did keep all the games and two Competition Pro joypads which seem to go for silly money.

However, I did buy another CD32 a couple of years ago for about £150 and since then they seem to have skyrocketed in price, so swings and roundabouts.

I also gave away my Spectrum to a younger cousin who didn’t have much (so I felt a bit sorry for him).  Always regretted it, especially as there were some rare games (Martianoids, a late Ultimate game, Id picked up for a couple of quid and it goes for about £70 now, but to be honest it was crap). But then a couple years ago I bought up some Spectrum games from gumtree (in preparation for when the Next being released, although in reality was another 2 years away...) and the guy came running out the house and said “do you want this as well?” holding a Spectrum +2 and I gave him £30 for the lot (it was all I had on me). So swings and roundabouts.....

I remember my mate at school having some incredible big box Amiga games, which seem to be really rare now, like Moonstone. He sold them all for a pittance in order to fund buying a HiFi. 

13 hours ago, strider said:

Trading my us snes and 60-70 games for an amiga 1200.

WAT!

My worst crimes are probably getting rid of my AES games. Worst one was Viewpoint which I sold for £150 and I believe it’s worth over a grand now.

Other main one is probably Wild Guns on the Super Famicom. I actually swapped my SNES stuff for Saturn stuff so probably not too bad a deal. Both sets had good games but Wild Guns is getting to like £800+ now, which probably would buy all the Saturn stuff I got outright.

14 minutes ago, Goemon said:

WAT!

My worst crimes are probably getting rid of my AES games. Worst one was Viewpoint which I sold for £150 and I believe it’s worth over a grand now.

Other main one is probably Wild Guns on the Super Famicom. I actually swapped my SNES stuff for Saturn stuff so probably not too bad a deal. Both sets had good games but Wild Guns is getting to like £800+ now, which probably would buy all the Saturn stuff I got outright.

It's literally the worst gaming mistake I've ever made. I was obsessed with D+D at the time and really wanted the eye of the beholder games etc. After having my fill of various point and clicks, I quickly realised that the games I really love are shmups, arcade style games etc, and the Amiga was nowhere in the same ballpark.

Got rid of my N64 copies of Bangai-o and Sin & Punishment. At ine point I had a few copies of each. Also my modded Panasonic Q, which I think I sold to @Pavey?

Apart from them, god knows how many boxed 70’s Kenner Star Wars toys I destroyed and little plastic guns I lost over the years.

21 hours ago, dr zoidberg said:

I had a Panasonic Q.

Had to sell pretty much all of my game related stuff several years ago due to being made redundant. 

I wish I could’ve kept the Q.

:(

21 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

About to say the same. Such a beautiful monster.

I had one too. How rare could they be? We can all feel better. 

Other than that I’ve had the usual games that ended up being rare or valuable years later (it always felt like Winning Eleven FE on the Cube was rare but I’m not sure it was, just weird that it was Jap only). 

I had a 3DO but I don’t think they’re rare or expensive.

I’ve been surprised how much some stuff I’ve had goes for - Phantasy Star on Master System -  but none of it is so megabucky that I’ve really cared. I haven’t looked to much in case anything was. 

Not sure of value, but I bitterly regret trading my big box copy of Super Metroid (the one with the players guide). I traded it at one of those video shops that used to trade games  for a tiny fee. Think I got Cannon Fodder.

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

I had one too. How rare could they be? We can all feel better. 

Other than that I’ve had the usual games that ended up being rare or valuable years later (it always felt like Winning Eleven FE on the Cube was rare but I’m not sure it was, just weird that it was Jap only). 

I had a 3DO but I don’t think they’re rare or expensive.

I’ve been surprised how much some stuff I’ve had goes for - Phantasy Star on Master System -  but none of it is so megabucky that I’ve really cared. I haven’t looked to much in case anything was. 

Sony had an exclusivity deal for Pro Evolution in Europe for a few years.

I don’t really regret selling anything because of its value. I’ve sold some rare stuff, but I don’t miss any of it. I wish I had kept the boxed and complete copy of Zelda 1 for the NES I had in my youth, but only for sentimental reasons. I’m not going to buy myself a replacement. 

I set my Gamecube up at work for lunchtime playing. All the usual suspects, plus wierdigan shit like Doshin and Chibi Robo. Good times were had by all, until we got burgled over the weekend. 

I managed to get a 250 quid cheque, by way of insurance, but it didn't cover the exorbitant fee I paid for a pre release Billy Hatcher, among other retail acrobatics. 

I spunked the cheque on an 80gb iPod Classic. Which would crash if I put more than 10gb of music on it. 

You've just gotta learn to roll with the punches, I guess.