Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (Switch) - May 29th

mdn2

Yes, we already have a huge thread for the Wii release of this game. But it's the best JRPG ever (Source: Me) and lots of people will be coming to it new with the new Switch version, so why not a new thread for it?

So What Is It?

It's the best JRPG ever - I've already told you that (quiet in the back - it is a JRPG). Huge, open worlds, great storyline set on the back of two huge titans, where people and machines now live and are at war with each other. And fantastic characters as well. It's the scope of the game which I fell in love with - MonolithSoft helped with the world design in Breath Of The Wild and the "Hey, that looks interesting! Let's go over there and explore!" is present and correct here as well. 

So What's New?

Upgraded visuals, of course. A new area. A new soundtrack (with the option to change between the old and new). New menus and maps. But most importantly, a 12-15 hour epilogue with new voice recordings of the original cast which (apparently) tie into future games. Oohhhh. Dual audio as well, for those who don't like the English voiceovers. 

Don't Believe Me? Have Some Reviews!

Destructoid -9.5/10

Even if it didn't have an extra chapter to conquer, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition deserves a third release. The Switch version has united this modern classic with the TV mode of the Wii original and the fully portable nature of the New 3DS edition. It's truly definitive.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-590201.phtml

Eurogamer - Recommended

The original Xenoblade Chronicles, with its scope, size and superlative world, still stands as the best in the series yet, and there's been no better way to play it yet. Rest assured if you love the original as much as I do, there are plenty of reasons to return. And if this is your first time playing Xenoblade Chronicles? I envy you, because this truly is one of the greats.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-27-xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-gently-re-touched-thoughtfully-expanded-take-on-a-modern-classic

GameSpot -9/10

Although not every aspect of Xenoblade Chronicles has aged as well as others, Definitive Edition proves that Xenoblade Chronicles is still a fantastic JRPG with an immense amount of strategic depth that's still impressive in 2020. Its bevy of improvements and additions, as well as its fantastic epilogue, make this an adventure worth embarking on a decade later.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-review-im-/1900-6417470/

H2x1_NSwitch_XenobladeChroniclesDefinitiveEdition_image1600w.jpg

Ah yeah, just hit me with that sweet Bionis' Leg music, baby, that's all I need:

Haven't played this since back on the Wii, so definitely looking forward to going through it again.

Achievement system is in there btw (Spoilers, ovbiously): https://game8.co/games/Xenoblade-Chronicles-Definitive-Edition/archives/289226

4 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

I wish Sega would give Skies of Arcadia this treatment. 

I've always maintained that this is the best JRPG since Skies for me. Wish they'd re-master it for the PS4/XBone/PC as it deserves to be played by everyone just like this gem.

Im confused about these games. There was one on the 3DS extra or whatever it was called. That one was supposedly brilliant, and a remake of a.... Wii game? Then there was one that came out early in the life of the switch. And that one was not as good?

So is this game a remake of one of those?

Just now, kempstar said:

Im confused about these games. There was one on the 3DS extra or whatever it was called. That one was supposedly brilliant, and a remake of a.... Wii game? Then there was one that came out early in the life of the switch. And that one was not as good?

This is a new version of the Wii game which was also ported to the new 3DS.

Xenoblade 2 came out in the early days of the switch, and I loved that. I still haven't played the one which came out on the Wii U.

2 minutes ago, kempstar said:

This is a remake of the first game, the Wii one. That was ported to the New 3DS as well. 

There's Xenoblade Chronicles X on the WiiU, that's completely different and set in a different universe. 

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the Switch game which came out in 2017. It's similar to this although it has different characters and setting, it is loosely connected. 

Personally, I think this is the best one. X is...ok and 2 is very good, but this is a whole other level. 

14 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

I wish Sega would give Skies of Arcadia this treatment. 

Skies of Arcadia still looks great when I played it on the Wii via component cable. I don’t even need a remaster, just give me a random battle on/ off toggle and I’ll happily buy it again.

I'm very very tempted and it's a great OP, cheers! My issues are mainly with how I got on with XC2. I loved the music, the grandeur and atmosphere of the environments and by and large I quite enjoyed the combat. I also liked Rex's purity of spirit.

However, I played it for forty hours and it was still introducing new combat stuff and mechanics which I didn't understand. I completely lost the thread of the story and characters' motivations. I thought the map and quest triggers/hints were as bad as anything I've played. I found the performance and resolution really very poor on the TV. Worst of all, by far, the dialogue was repetitive and hyper-literal in a way that it sometimes seemed like a Vic and Bob gag. No matter what anyone says in the party, someone would misinterpret it for some extra unnecessary banter which someone else would have to respond to and then another, and another, and it felt like being trapped in a lift with a load of teenagers who can only communicate with snark and a raised eyebrow. To that end, I feel bad slagging it off but I wasn't getting enough out of it for the large parts I had to tolerate. 

And I'm guessing from the trailer that this is going to be tonally similar, which would be a shame. I really really hope I'm wrong and I'm open to it! 

49 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

However, I played it for forty hours and it was still introducing new combat stuff and mechanics which I didn't understand.

Yea, that was my major beef with XC2, the combat was bewilderingly complex.  If this one's a bit simpler I could be convinced.

I assume it's MMO-inspired in its trapping in the same way as XC2?

I am really torn. It looks amazing, I love a good JRPG. However, I am not sure I have the time or money at the moment. The voice acting did irritate me somewhat in the trailer. I still have Dragon's Dogma sat unplayed on my Switch. 

Just wanted to pop in here and thank all the forumites who got me hyped for the wii release back in the day. I am such a huge fan of this game and I might have missed out on it but for this forum.

Looking forward to friday!

So, I've got this preordered having not played XC before. I'm trusting to the fact I adored XCX (up to and excluding the point where your robots gained flight and rendered the exploration, and thus the best part of the game, trivial), and very much enjoyed XC2 (to the point of finishing it, which puts it in the same company as maybe three whole other JRPGs), here.

I trust that I'm not in for a grave disappointment, here?

39 minutes ago, Kieran said:

I am really torn. It looks amazing, I love a good JRPG. However, I am not sure I have the time or money at the moment. The voice acting did irritate me somewhat in the trailer. I still have Dragon's Dogma sat unplayed on my Switch. 

This is good but Dragon’s Dogma unplayed!?! Is unforgivable !

Just now, Wiper said:

So, I've got this preordered having not played XC before. I'm trusting to the fact I adored XCX (up to and excluding the point where your robots gained flight and rendered the exploration trivial), and very much enjoyed XC2 (to the point of finishing it, which puts it in the same company as maybe three whole other JRPGs), here.

I trust that I'm not in for a grave disappointment, here?

I would hope not. But this is you we're talking about, Wiper. Anything could happen. ;)

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Thread needs a poll for Japan vs English voice acting.

There's only one possible answer to that question. 

Spoiler

Japan all the way. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Stanshall said:

I'm very very tempted and it's a great OP, cheers! My issues are mainly with how I got on with XC2. I loved the music, the grandeur and atmosphere of the environments and by and large I quite enjoyed the combat. I also liked Rex's purity of spirit.

However, I played it for forty hours and it was still introducing new combat stuff and mechanics which I didn't understand. I completely lost the thread of the story and characters' motivations. I thought the map and quest triggers/hints were as bad as anything I've played. I found the performance and resolution really very poor on the TV. Worst of all, by far, the dialogue was repetitive and hyper-literal in a way that it sometimes seemed like a Vic and Bob gag. No matter what anyone says in the party, someone would misinterpret it for some extra unnecessary banter which someone else would have to respond to and then another, and another, and it felt like being trapped in a lift with a load of teenagers who can only communicate with snark and a raised eyebrow. To that end, I feel bad slagging it off but I wasn't getting enough out of it for the large parts I had to tolerate. 

And I'm guessing from the trailer that this is going to be tonally similar, which would be a shame. I really really hope I'm wrong and I'm open to it! 

This doesnt happen in the first game. Its why I didnt like the second one as much. Also the voice acting is way better in this than in the sequel, and the whole thing  isnt as anime-esque either, being a lot more serious in comparison.

Also it has Ricky, Legendary Heropon - instawin.

Edit: In terms of combat, this only has Break and Topple. It doesnt have the nonsense Launch and the rest which were a massive faff in XC2, so dont worry about it, as they're a lot easier to pull off in this.

Just got a despatch email for the Collectors Edition. :omg:

Sorry, I've turned it into one of those threads. 

Edit: @Stanshall, yeah the combat is similar to XC2, but it's not as complex. Plus, it does have Japanese audio if the UK one grates. It's weird, the US seem to love the UK voiceovers - personally I find the Britishness too distracting. 

It also has the best battle music. 

DF analysis suggests it's pretty much in line with XC2 from a performance perspective, which is a little bit of a shame for me. I'm sure it won't be a problem for those familiar with the original but I'm not that keen on paying full price for 720p at best, when I could play the Wii version for nothing. Don't mean to be a buzzkill but caveat emptor.