rllmuk
mdn2

PSPlus June 2020 Call of Duty: WWII and Star Wars: Battlefront 2

7 hours ago, JamesTW said:

Battlefront 2 is not good for new players, the upgrades take a very long time to earn and they make a huge difference, the TTK is long anyway without all the health boosts veteran players have, you'll shoot someone about 10 times and on your death screen they'll still have about 176 health! Then there's the enforcers and heroes, God knows how many times you need to shoot them before they go down

This can't be for real, can it? Veterans have more health, seriously? That's dreadful design if true.

It's the star cards they put in that the loot boxes were for. They then changed them so you leveled them up with credits you earn from playing but yeah veterans have a bit of an advantage. I still really enjoy it but that will put a lot of people off.

8 hours ago, JamesTW said:

Battlefront 2 is not good for new players, the upgrades take a very long time to earn and they make a huge difference, the TTK is long anyway without all the health boosts veteran players have, you'll shoot someone about 10 times and on your death screen they'll still have about 176 health! Then there's the enforcers and heroes, God knows how many times you need to shoot them before they go down

But on the other hand how good can BF2 players be cos, I mean, they're playing BF2.

All the health in the universe won't help them when they come up against Shipment 24/7 lockdown veteran '20, R6 Gold Champion Dec '16... j/k

11 hours ago, spanx said:

Just downloaded the CoD game and gave it a go. Seems pretty uninspiring so far (played through the first mission). The gunplay feels so unsatisfying compared to other FPS’ that I enjoy, such as Destiny/Far Cry. Know it’s free but not sure I can muster much more enthusiasm to play.

This!

It's weird because in still images the game looks amazing but everything feels a bit off. When you sprint it feels like you run 30 mph, the guns really does feel unsatisfying to use. Quite early in the campaign one of my teammates was using a flamethrower to toast the enemies hiding in bunkers and I thought "Wow, can't wait to try that out". Five minutes later I got the flamethrower and it felt like I was using a portable water hose, there's simply no oomph to the weapons at all. 

The beach landing section was done better in Medal of Honor, imo. In this you simply had to press up on the analogue stick to win. There are loads of semi interactive cut scenes where you basically do nothing but walk, some times interrupted by a shooting gallery before you proceed the walking sim. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah the weapons feel really...arcadey. it could be said they are in-keeping with the SW universe which, let's face it, is throw away sci-fi pulp (even if it is world changing sci-fi pulp) and not something attempting to portray the horrors of 'Nam or the power of 'Murican military hardware, but they feel a bit... pow-pow-y even so.

They lack a bit of weight and oomph and add to the sort of throwaway, arcadey nature of the game. It's never really sweaty, I never really care whether I win or lose and it's not something I approach from a tactical angle. 

In some ways, that's why the game is quite enjoyable and is true to its SW nature as something you can just go along with for the ride. But it does let the weaponry down a little. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Parksey said:

Yeah the weapons feel really...arcadey. it could be said they are in-keeping with the SW universe which, let's face it, is throw away sci-fi pulp (even if it is world changing sci-fi pulp) and not something attempting to portray the horrors of 'Nam or the power of 'Murican military hardware, but they feel a bit... pow-pow-y even so.

They lack a bit of weight and oomph and add to the sort of throwaway, arcadey nature of the game. It's never really sweaty, I never really care whether I win or lose and it's not something I approach from a tactical angle. 

In some ways, that's why the game is quite enjoyable and is true to its SW nature as something you can just go along with for the ride. But it does let the weaponry down a little. 

Think Rayn was talking about COD

On 29/05/2020 at 03:53, Sarlaccfood said:

<_<

Any chance I won’t get put in a game with those guys though?

Not everyone has those, and there will be loads of new people due to it being on plus. Galactic Assault is 20 on 20 so there's load of opportunities to get kills. But also to die. A lot. Like I said, go into it with the mentality that you're a disposable clone/droid and you'll be fine. 

So wait, CODWW2 is available to download now?

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpg.cd71f1af6075e83a76ec39c7205f1d71.jpg

weird.

Can't complain about this month. I'm not a big COD fan but always like to give them a try. I did own a physical copy of Battlefront 2 back in the day but traded it in. It'll be interesting to see how it has improved over the last 18 months. I loved the first Battlefront and must have sunk 150 hours into it so I'm hoping it will click this time.

Spider-man would've been ace, but I did feel it was an optimistic shout.

Well, this will keep my son happy.  He already has SW:BF2 but a few of his friends don’t so they will all be able to play now.  

On 29/05/2020 at 08:40, Timmo said:

This can't be for real, can it? Veterans have more health, seriously? That's dreadful design if true.

Yeah, theres a boost card that gives 20 health for every enemy you kill but the card upgraded(which takes ages) is 40 for every enemy you kill, so a veteran player who probably kills 3 enemies by the time  a new player kills 1 enemy will be on 220 health and the new player will be on 120 health with worse guns, and thats just 1 card out of 3, theyll have other advantages aswell

Edit: Btw its a good game! Just youll probably get destroyed at first

If you're not playing the same game as people who already have the advantage of knowledge and practice, then no, it's not a good game.

14 hours ago, pledge said:

Are PSN limiting download speeds due to Covid?

Yes.  They were anyway.

Downloaded Battlefront 2 on PSN+. I’d forgotten what an absolute overbusy clusterfuck that game’s UI was.

Call of Duty WWII single player is a bit... jarring? It's got this incredibly serious, realistic tone to the cut scenes, the voiceovers and overall presentation are incredibly realistic and the whole campaign revolves around your character and your squad buddies, Band of Brothers esque. But then the actual gameplay and set pieces are absolutely unrealistically mental! Even for CoD standards! That bit where you're escaping from the slowest collapsing church tower, hitting QTEs to avoid being squashed to death by numerous falling metal bells had my eyes rolling all over the shop. Then the very next mission has the longest "train derailing" sequence committed to film, with you in the middle of it prone on the floor miraculously avoiding any and all damage. It's utterly mental. Whose idea was it to stitch these two together?

I'm playing it through on Veteran (a) because I'm a maschochist, b) because I just did CoD4 remastered and Blops 3 likewise) and am only 4 missions in, god knows what else I'm yet to encounter.

Tried the BF2 story mode and I'm not that impressed. It looks the part but aiming feels a bit "floaty" and the little robot bit seemed pointless.

Also, having to press square to open a door but being 2mm off the exact spot where you have to stand so you just end up reloading is a bit annoying.

It got a bit buggy when I got to Endor, after opening the first loot crate the card screen came up, locked up for a bit, went fuzzy and then when it eventually let me exit the level restarted for no reason.

Hopefully MP is better.

1 hour ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Was there planned maintenance tonight? Can’t get on to try out that Star Wars shit!

Same here, probably took 5+ hours to download and then it's offline.

Just demonstrates how hollow games are now without online connectivity. The future retro scene is already dead

2 hours ago, cubik said:

Tried the BF2 story mode and I'm not that impressed. It looks the part but aiming feels a bit "floaty" and the little robot bit seemed pointless.

Also, having to press square to open a door but being 2mm off the exact spot where you have to stand so you just end up reloading is a bit annoying.

It got a bit buggy when I got to Endor, after opening the first loot crate the card screen came up, locked up for a bit, went fuzzy and then when it eventually let me exit the level restarted for no reason.

Hopefully MP is better.

Yeah campaign is renowned as being a shiter. MP is the main game.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jamin said:

Call of Duty WWII single player is a bit... jarring? It's got this incredibly serious, realistic tone to the cut scenes, the voiceovers and overall presentation are incredibly realistic and the whole campaign revolves around your character and your squad buddies, Band of Brothers esque. But then the actual gameplay and set pieces are absolutely unrealistically mental! Even for CoD standards! That bit where you're escaping from the slowest collapsing church tower, hitting QTEs to avoid being squashed to death by numerous falling metal bells had my eyes rolling all over the shop. Then the very next mission has the longest "train derailing" sequence committed to film, with you in the middle of it prone on the floor miraculously avoiding any and all damage. It's utterly mental. Whose idea was it to stitch these two together?

I'm playing it through on Veteran (a) because I'm a maschochist, b) because I just did CoD4 remastered and Blops 3 likewise) and am only 4 missions in, god knows what else I'm yet to encounter.

Totally agree, it's tonally all over the place - having NAZI ZOMBIES as an option on the main menu is quite something. But yeah, in terms of dumb plot things, I enjoyed how in the first mission you have to drag your injured buddy to a medical tent that is slap bang in the centre of a live combat zone, and the entire German army just magically vanishes as soon as you do so (IIRC this is a COD trope, and happens on practically every mission - the entire Allied army rolls in and set up camp the second that the final enemy goes down, as if nothing at all had happened :lol:).

I'm not a COD fan at all (jumped off the series after MW3) but was surprised how much I enjoyed the single player. It moves along at a good pace and the plot, simple as it is, is well executed and acted. The French resistance spy mission was a particular highlight.

On 03/06/2020 at 17:38, Jamin said:

Then the very next mission has the longest "train derailing" sequence committed to film, with you in the middle of it prone on the floor miraculously avoiding any and all damage. It's utterly mental. Whose idea was it to stitch these two together?

This bit had me howling with laughter. The best comedy moment in a game in years.

On 04/06/2020 at 05:38, cubik said:

Hopefully MP is better.

I enjoyed the single player campaign but boy is it buggy/ Losing my slicing droid three times (twice leaving me with no option but to reload) a couple of hard crashed and don't get me started on the odd dance the stormtroopers make when dealing with cover.

Largely echoing previous posts but COD WWII really is a terrible game. Alternating deathly serious cutscenes with absurd arcade nonsense is an utterly bizarre approach - presumably simple incompetence rather than a deliberate stylistic choice. I might mind slightly less if this was at least married with satisfying gameplay but that's a pile of loose floaty bollocks to boot. The contrast with the fidelity - and indeed, consistent tone - on show in MW is very glaring.

I haven't yet reached any of the comedy sections already described - and probably won't, frankly - but the Fast & Furious style jeep ride over to bail out some other company in the second mission was also hilarious. Barrelling through lanes so confined they're practically tunnels at a steady 150mph, mowing down Nazis blundering conveniently across your path, ignoring squadmates wittering about how tight the next corner is because you're pretty much entirely on rails anyway, only to finally discover that all the rescue actually requires is to lap the town square a couple of times shooting in random directions until the Nazis run away.

Honestly, beyond amusement value, it's appalling. It just left me wanting to go and watch Band Of Brothers for the 7th time.

• Upvote 2

On 29 May 2020 at 08:40, Timmo said:

Battlefront is pretty unforgiving for new comers,  the star cards do give an advantage, but the weapon unlocks probably more so.

i would recommend playing co-op to begin with, the bots are pretty aggressive so it isn't a walk over, but it's great for unlocking weapons, practicing with and levelling up your heroes and familiarising yourself with levels.

Also making sure objectives are highlighted on screen should help to navigate maps, the options to turn this on is in the options