IGNORED

PlayStation Days of Play sale now on

memories

20 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Me too, I know its a first world problem but I can't be arsed swapping discs around. Incredibly lazy. Wills see what else pops up on the 3rd!

I only buy digital because I care about the environmental impact of plastic used I'm games retail*

*...but mostly because I'm a lazy bastard.

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

I only buy digital because I care about the environmental impact of plastic used I'm games retail*

*...but mostly because I'm a lazy bastard.

I’m not convinced of this argument. Unless you had mega fast broadband you’d spend a lot of additional energy simply downloading the game. Plus, with physical games if you buy preowned then that’s one less copy that needs to be manufactured.

Eh? If you buy digital there is one less copy that needs to be manufactured.

What is the energy consumption comparison from creating a piece of plastic that takes 100 years to decompose vs the transportation of electronic files over the internet then?

6 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I’m not convinced of this argument. Unless you had mega fast broadband you’d spend a lot of additional energy simply downloading the game. Plus, with physical games if you buy preowned then that’s one less copy that needs to be manufactured.

I am taking the piss.... 

1 minute ago, sir stiff_one said:

Eh? If you buy digital there is one less copy that needs to be manufactured.

What is the energy consumption comparison from creating a piece of plastic that takes 100 years to decompose vs the transportation of electronic files over the internet then?

But if someone buys a new game, trades it in and that used copy then ends up in three other people’s hands, that game has been played by four different people, thus potentially saving 4 separate downloads.

That’s the thing, there doesn’t seem to be much useful data out there. I’ve seen a few people mention they’ve gone digital because it’s greener. But, there’s the additional energy being used from both leaving your console on to download the game plus for the additional server capacity required. I found a study from around 2010 that tried to work out the server energy costs for downloading a game, which suggested that you used up a lot, but technology would have improved markedly since then.

Ah the old digital vs physical debate.

I would like to go all digital but the cost benefit for physical on new releases is just too great (not so much for older titles where digital often wins out). Recent case in point the Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I pre-ordered it physically for just over 40 pound, completed it and sold it for 36 pounds to CEX. So it cost me about a fiver to play and complete a 50 hour game.

Had I gone digital I would have paid 50 pounds for the game and would have been unable to resell it. So 5 pounds versus 50 pounds to play the game. It's just not even a difficult choice for me at this stage (and of course I realise I don't own FF7 anymore but I would never ever have played it again anyway. Good game but not one I would ever replay).

4 hours ago, teddymeow said:

I bought £35 of PSN from CDKeys for £29 for when the digital PS+ discount goes live.

Days Gone for £16 is an absolute deal of epically epic proportions!!

Shopto are selling £12 months of PS+ for £29.95, so maybe save your credit for some games.

4 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

But if someone buys a new game, trades it in and that used copy then ends up in three other people’s hands, that game has been played by four different people, thus potentially saving 4 separate downloads.

Aren’t discs just keys these days anyway and the game gets downloaded when you pop it in?

Edit: Nah, that can’t be right, can it?

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

Aren’t discs just keys these days anyway and the game gets downloaded when you pop it in?

Edit: Nah, that can’t be right, can it?

They get installed from the disc then a patch, often as big as the entire game, is downloaded.

4 hours ago, Majora said:

Ah the old digital vs physical debate.

I would like to go all digital but the cost benefit for physical on new releases is just too great (not so much for older titles where digital often wins out). Recent case in point the Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I pre-ordered it physically for just over 40 pound, completed it and sold it for 36 pounds to CEX. So it cost me about a fiver to play and complete a 50 hour game.

The most recent physically available games I’ve bought on release have been cheaper digitally. Either via codes from CDKeys or similar, or with cheap digital store credit. 

I’d never sell any game so resale value means nothing to me.

Ended up just ordering Days Gone and LoU remastered from Argos for pick up.

Days gone won't be in until Saturday though, guess they are awaiting stock which is why it can't be delivered for folk.

Was only £14 for Days Gone too, PlayStation link has it as £16.

21 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

That’s the thing, there doesn’t seem to be much useful data out there. I’ve seen a few people mention they’ve gone digital because it’s greener. But, there’s the additional energy being used from both leaving your console on to download the game plus for the additional server capacity required. I found a study from around 2010 that tried to work out the server energy costs for downloading a game, which suggested that you used up a lot, but technology would have improved markedly since then.

This is all guesswork, but is probably in the right area:

The disc gets made in a factory from raw materials that are transported to it, possibly from all over the world. The discs get transported to the company that duplicates the game, who then burn the image on to them. They will then get put into plastic cases that will have been transported to this place from a different factory (where they've been made from raw materials, again possibly shipped in from all over the world), and given paper inserts also probably shipped in from elsewhere. These finished games will then themselves get distributed to warehouses all over the world by various forms of transportation, and when they get there forklifts will place them into storage. When a shop needs some of those games, forklifts will take them out again, load them on to lorries, and they will get driven to the store.

The order might be different (maybe the discs get shipped to regional duplication centres rather than one large one, and so on) but that is an awful lot of energy being used on manufacture of the physical bits, shipping the individual bits around, assembling them, shipping the final items to warehouses, storing them, and then taking them to the shops. I find it really hard to believe that a download could equate to anything near the physical copy. And if someone decides to trade it in, or buy second-hand, you've got to allow for the fact that they might have driven a fair distance specifically to do just that. Factor in that the digital copy can be downloaded whilst you're using the console to play games/watch films etc - so the power used by the console is not necessarily being used just for the download. Also factor in that (as has been mentioned) buying a physical copy often requires a massive upgrade download anyway, and I'd be surprised if the download doesn't work out being massively more efficient.

Like I said - all guesswork though.

I've gone fully digital on the hope that it 'could' be more environmentally friendly since there is the potential (aside for the parts for servers, exchanges and cables involved) to be powered by renewables.

I know this isn't the case, but it could...whereas physical media will always contribute to the plastics problem plus transit of stock with fossil fuels.