rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Chocolate chip cookies

Does anybody have a good chocolate chip cookie recipe, where the cookie base is soft and chewy and is loaded with good chocolate chunks? My ideal would be to replicate the M & S bakery cookies, which are a delight.

I tried this recipe on Tasty but they are a bit too sweet for me.

I've tried quite a few recipes, but this is the one I've settled on recently: https://joyfoodsunshine.com/the-most-amazing-chocolate-chip-cookies/

One thing is if you're using table salt you might want to lower the salt amount slightly (although maybe not). Personally I like the slight saltiness, stops them being too sweet. It's got a video too so you can see if they look like the sort of thing you fancy.

@Alask Do you use salted or unsalted butter? And what chocolate chips do you use? I presume cooking chocolate has a higher cocoa content compared to 'normal' chocolate and should taste better in a cookie?

Just whatever butter and chocolate I have in the house, it seems fairly forgiving. Last time I made it I used salted butter and a chopped up bournville bar and an asda own milk chocolate bar. I then ate 3 cookies in a row.

The trick to good cookies is to leave the batter to rest for 36hrs or so in the fridge.

I've generally used the New York Times recipe and been happy with them. I quite like chopping up chocolate bars to go in instead of chips, especially when you get little pools of caramel.

Two quick notes. 

I've used Dime bars instead of whatever brand he is using there as they were easier to get. 

I chopped up some decent chocolate instead of trying to get those chocolate wafer things as they only seem to be available in 1kg size bags. I couldn't be trusted with that much chocolate in the place. 

On 20/05/2020 at 12:02, Alask said:

I've tried quite a few recipes, but this is the one I've settled on recently: https://joyfoodsunshine.com/the-most-amazing-chocolate-chip-cookies/

One thing is if you're using table salt you might want to lower the salt amount slightly (although maybe not). Personally I like the slight saltiness, stops them being too sweet. It's got a video too so you can see if they look like the sort of thing you fancy.

So I decided to make these late last night and the actual cookie is nicer than the other recipe I tried (plus I timed the cooking better) - but man, the salt is strong. I might try them again with half the amount, because whilst it does temper the sweetness, it just overpowers the rest. Do you use the sea salt as is or do you grind the crystals down first?

I’ve put on half a stone in lockdown because I keep baking batches of Levain bakery cookies. They’re basically big, tall cookies that are still a little gooey and underbaked in the middle. In the UK you can buy similar at Creme in London or Gooey in Manchester.

642A3C35-6F16-4021-BEC7-AB8ED9265943.jpeg.6a3d7c2afb94089a9dd79c0afe14fe97.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 20/05/2020 at 16:02, Gaz said:

The trick to good cookies is to leave the batter to rest for 36hrs or so in the fridge.

There might be something in this fridge theory. I made some more last night, halved the salt and put them in the fridge for 14 hours. They do taste better, not massively better but still definitely improved.. would fridge again.

IMG_08062020_140850_(2000_x_1500_pixel).thumb.jpg.1dd6f97238f93c70df8c57523beffc22.jpg

@alask They look great! Is that still the same recipe you posted upthread?

yeah, same one (half the salt). Just made it like normal, then rolled it up into a sausage shape using clingfilm, then put in the fridge overnight and chopped it into slices in the morning and popped on a baking tray. 

My wife made these recently. She halved the serving because they’re generally supposed to be the same size as a child’s head, as far as I can tell. 

https://www.janespatisserie.com/2020/04/25/nyc-chocolate-chip-cookies/

NeZwQbh.jpg

They’re absolutely delicious, and she basically made them into ready to bake dough balls and chucked them in the freezer. When we want one we just take them out, and chuck them in the oven. It’s great because you get a freshly baked cookie every time and you’re not left with a load of cookies which you end up eating in about two days and end up gaining weight.

I think next time we’re going to put stuff like M&Ms in them. 

• Upvote 1