rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stevie

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga is an upcoming American comedy film directed by David Dobkin, written by Andrew Steele and Will Ferrell and starring Ferrell, Rachel McAdams, Pierce Brosnan, Dan Stevens and Demi Lovato. ... The film is set to be released on Netflix on June 26, 2020.

Can’t wait :lol:

• Upvote 2

Can’t express my level of disappointment that this is not a proper Netflix doc about a Eurovision song I’ve never heard of.

Another razor-sharp sideways observation of their quirky European cousins the Americans so excel at. 

• Upvote 7

The only good thing Will Ferrell has done for about 15 years is help fund Succession.

Americans don't understand the fist thing about the Eurovision and will utterly fuck this up.

Like, the song is fine but it's not funny because it's missing the a) earnestness of some loony thinking they're going to tell us their countries culture as filtered through fantasy novels, or b) the winking acknowledgement of same that some of the acts manage, like Lordi, or Dadi Freyr.

Also, the genre to mock would be that Balkan/Turkish dance beat stuff. 

I’m not watching the clip. The thumbnail alone was enough to convince me this will be shit, and reading the description did nothing to dissuade me that my snap judgement was hasty.

• Empathy 2

I thought this was great. And it was in no way mocking or a parody, it was a joyous celebration.

Plus, it has the next Oscar winning song.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, hub2 said:

I thought this was great. And it was in no way mocking or a parody, it was a joyous celebration.

Plus, it has the next Oscar winning song.

JaJa Ding Dong??

agree - we put this on to watch over the weekend not expecting to much and loved it - not a parody of Eurovision rather a  celebration of its eccentricities.    Plus the soundtrack is fantatasic (wish they did a longer version of Volcano man)

Lots of people in the Netflix thread saying this is good, @Sidewaysbob in the out of 5 thread saying this is shite...can @Vimster watch it please? I need a reliable guide.

12 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Lots of people in the Netflix thread saying this is good, @Sidewaysbob in the out of 5 thread saying this is shite...can @Vimster watch it please? I need a reliable guide.

I've added this to my list. Not a huge fan of Ferrell's more recent films but apparently his wife is Swedish and doubtless has talked to him about the spectacle. Could go either way. 

I enjoyed this, although the main story of the relationship between the couple was very obvious and predicable, and the film is overly long.  There's some very funny moments but they are spread out and don't need to be.  Someone could take this and make an excellent 90 minute Fan Edit without losing anything of note.  It's a 6/10 movie that could be a 9/10 if they hadn't asked Quentin Tarantino to edit it.

4 hours ago, dumpster said:

I enjoyed this, although the main story of the relationship between the couple was very obvious and predicable, and the film is overly long.  There's some very funny moments but they are spread out and don't need to be.  Someone could take this and make an excellent 90 minute Fan Edit without losing anything of note.  It's a 6/10 movie that could be a 9/10 if they hadn't asked Quentin Tarantino to edit it.

It's not Eurovision if it's not sprawling, overlong, and full of unnecessary but glorious sparkly glitter tbf. Wife and I enjoyed this. It certainly fell the right side of affectionate, and Ferrell was the right level of annoying. 

Just watched it and really enjoyed it. Some funny moments and cracking songs. 

This is some way off brilliant but I really enjoyed it. They nail the songs, in all honesty, and I've had Jaja Ding Dong in my head for 2 days now.

I'm not a fan of Eurovision but I think it got the whole feel of it.  It's not a great film but it's a Eurovision film!

Also Jaja Ding Dong is amazing

It’s a bit rubbish but it’s so heartfelt and lovely. And I love the fact that the Russian baddie

Spoiler

Isn’t a baddie. He tells her things she needs to hear, makes her believe in herself and supports her. You keep expecting a tedious twist where his evil plan to split them up is revealed - but it doesn’t happen. He supports them to be true to themselves (But he can’t be true himself without the support of his government)  

• Upvote 4

This film is awful. No two ways about it. Like, it hasn't been edited. Like a robot decided when to cut. The ad- libbing and editing make no sense. 

The music is fantastic and the set pieces of the Eurovision stuff are actually great. 

There's a good film buried away in here but is particularly heart breaking because Iceland would have won this year and they just took the piss a bit.

That's a fucking great pop song.

• Upvote 1

On 29/06/2020 at 10:04, ZOK said:

I don’t know if my opinion counts for anything, but I thought it was cat shit.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LeighCb said:

This film is awful. No two ways about it. Like, it hasn't been edited. Like a robot decided when to cut. The ad- libbing and editing make no sense. 

The music is fantastic and the set pieces of the Eurovision stuff are actually great. 

There's a good film buried away in here but is particularly heart breaking because Iceland would have won this year and they just took the piss a bit.

That's a fucking great pop song.

I had £20 on Iceland to win. :(

8 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I don’t know if my opinion counts for anything, but I thought it was cat shit.

At this point I think I’m obligated to watch it.

I was hoping for at least Blades of Glory tier Ferrell. Sadly it’s nowhere close - a mediocre movie and not remotely funny enough. But the Eurovision bits are great and McAdams is a standout. 

If they’d cut it down to 90 minutes it would’ve been vastly improved.

I’d watch a sequel I guess.

On 01/07/2020 at 00:23, LeighCb said:

Exactly what I was thinking! The editing was shocking, like it was half edited by a shit AI routine, half edited by someone who was in a rush or just didn’t care. It absolutely shouldn’t have been released in the state it has been.

• Upvote 1

Loved this, and it made my wife cry at 3 (three!) separate points! The music was outstanding, and the cameos from real stars, I think it really respected the Eurovision, the Russian was such a great not-really-a-villain too.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I LOVED this. It captures Eurovision perfectly, which is pretty amazing really for a pisstake. It pokes fun at it without a misstep, heartwarming nonsense throughout while wearing every single cliche possible on its sleeve with pride.

Loved that the Demetriou siblings were in it too, and the end was a little homage to Purple Rain to boot.

Put me in the ‘loved it’ section.

i think it was very much in the spirit of Eurovision, and I really want to go listen to some random europop now.

I wonder if Graham norton is in all versions?

I would agree that it's too long. We watched it last night. My partner hated it, but I thought it was pretty amusing in places. The Eurovision medley bit in the mansion was utter cringe though. Glad it was a one off in the film, as I genuinely wouldn't have been able to take any more of that sub Mama Mia! style nonsense. 

I’m behind the times on da yute dem argot obviously, is cringe what people say for amazing now?

If so I agree, the bit in the mansion was utter cringe! :wub:

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

On 29/06/2020 at 09:20, papalazarou said:

JaJa Ding Dong??

agree - we put this on to watch over the weekend not expecting to much and loved it - not a parody of Eurovision rather a  celebration of its eccentricities.    Plus the soundtrack is fantatasic (wish they did a longer version of Volcano man)

I ONLY WANT TO HEAR JAJA DING DONG!

On 03/07/2020 at 07:25, ZOK said:

Yeah, I LOVED this. It captures Eurovision perfectly, which is pretty amazing really for a pisstake. It pokes fun at it without a misstep, heartwarming nonsense throughout while wearing every single cliche possible on its sleeve with pride.

Loved that the Demetriou siblings were in it too, and the end was a little homage to Purple Rain to boot.

perfect two word summary. I liked the fact they didnt need to have an antagonist among the acts to beat, it was just a nice positive experience throughout. Films sont have to be genre defining or oscar worthy to be great. This was just a lovely little break. The music was also brilliant, so good that it even convinced my mrs to watch it and she hates any film with Will Ferrell in it, normally unconditionally without giving them a chance.