Rate the last game you played out of 10

Just like the film rating thread but with games. Score what you've been playing. A few lines about them is optional.

I'll go first:

Subnautica - PC - 7/10

I put about thirty hours into this and absolutely loved it for most of that time. But the total lack of streamlining started to seriously grate. Did not finish. Could have been a 10/10.

Super Hot - PC - 9/10

A great concept and very slick and stylish. Surprisingly good story too. Meta as fuck. 

Halo. 8/10.

The first half is still astounding, but even back in the early 00's (before "Zombies... IN SPACE!" had become a thing) I found the Flood tedious.

Cap the whole thing off with trying to maneuver that damn Warthog through the final level and 8 feels a little generous. 

Persona 5 Royal - PS4 - 8/10

A lot of my observations about vanilla P5 apply here: the music, presentation and battle gameplay are fine and the story and characters can be enjoyed easily enough, but the pacing suffers too much during certain dungeon objectives and you’re sometimes forcing yourself through a thing so that you can enjoy the next thing. However, it’s still recommended if you can get past those moments.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4 - 8/10

It ends up getting a lot of things right - the characterisation and music are awesome, and the tone is pretty much what you would hope from an FFVII game. However, the elemental weakness shenanigans can sometimes feel like a time-waster (when you go in with the wrong materia and end up restarting) and it’s hard not to roll your eyes every time the Whispers are onscreen. I guess it could have been a lot worse though, so yay.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 7/10

I've had this since release, but only ever dipped in and out of it. Turns out I was closer to the end than I realised. Works great in bite sized chunks and has some really imaginative levels. 

Telling Lies - 8/10

Very clever, Memento-esque, FMV/visual novel thing that needs as little known about it as possible to get the most out of it. Plays nicely on webcam paranoia and feels very, very grown up when compared to other videogame narratives. Can sometimes feel a bit weird when you spend five solid minutes doing nothing other than looking into a characters face in total silence, but now I think on it this unease is probably intended. Main guy does a little too much eyebrow acting, though. 

FFXII on switch - 8/10

I enjoyed it a lot such that having finished once, I immediately played it all through again.... but partially ruined the second play through for myself, opting to speed everything up much of the time Benny Hill stylee :rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Telling Lies - 8/10

Very clever, Memento-esque, FMV/visual novel thing that needs as little known about it as possible to get the most out of it. Plays nicely on webcam paranoia and feels very, very grown up when compared to other videogame narratives. Can sometimes feel a bit weird when you spend five solid minutes doing nothing other than looking into a characters face in total silence, but now I think on it this unease is probably intended. Main guy does a little too much eyebrow acting, though. 

Isn't this a sequel to another game? Do you have to have played that first or is it ok to dive straight into this?

Recent-ish:

The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

A title which had eluded me for years, I finally got round to playing this. Arguably the best acting I've seen in gaming - the whole experience is driven by an incredibly strong story and perfect chemistry between the 2 lead roles. The gameplay is great, tense and frantic when it needs to be yet always balanced alongside the story. Wonderful - sign me up for the sequel.

9/10

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

A game that doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel, but one that gets all its components pretty much bang on. I can forgive the pretty dreadful voice acting because the campaign is interesting and exciting and the design is brilliant. But the biggest praise has to be for the visuals and the combat. Taking down robot dinosaurs in stunning scenery is breathtaking and felt just as good after several hundred as it did the first time.

8/10

Currently playing:

Streets of Rage 4 (Xbox One)

Spider-man (PS4)

11 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Isn't this a sequel to another game? Do you have to have played that first or is it ok to dive straight into this?

Her Story is made by the same chap and has a similar mechanic I believe. I've not played it myself but they're certainly both stand alone. 

Control 

Walked around the first room and a couple of corridors tweaking graphics settings to try and find the perfect balance between framerate and fidelity while still having the ray tracing turned on. 

10/10

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales on switch - 7/10

An interactive novel interspersed with battles conducted via the medium of gwent. I loved Witcher 3 gwent. This version was a good bit different which took me a while to get used to. Didn’t enjoy it just as much. The story was very good, with lots of different paths and a lot of tough decisions to make faced with the grim reality of war. The battles got repetitive towards the end but overall an enjoyable journey.

Yakuza 6

The final game in my mammoth Yakuza playthrough, and after the journey I went through it was the best one. Fabulous fun, gorgeous graphics and possibly some of the best sub-stories in any of the games. Bloody awesome game. 

9/10 (deducted a point because quite honestly there are times when the engine starts to chug with everything going on)

I’m going to outright put 9 or possibly 9.5. Funnily enough I already rated this game previously at 8.5 and have decided it should be higher since getting more and more sucked in since completion of the standard levels. Of course, I’m actually talking about Celeste. It’s genius in design. 

Days Gone.

Bought and played briefly at launch in 2019 and it was a 6/10, rare first party mis-step for Sony.

After the patches and updates it has easily become a 9/10 which has held my attention for the last few weeks and been the only thing I've played. Finished the campaign on Sunday and am now gunning for 100% game world completion.

Just superb!!!

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

First time I’ve played an Uncharted game, so I’m really late to the party, but they were free on the PS4, so why not?

Feels a bit dated now, but it’s a decent enough adventure yarn, with a good mixture of combat, platforming and puzzle solving.

Saying that, the combat does get a bit repetitive, although when it all comes together it works brilliantly.

7/10

Now onto Uncharted 2.

Blasphemous

5/10

Mediocre platformer that does nothing well. Looks gorgeous though.

Overwatch

Anywhere between 1/10 and 10/10

Hate the players not the game. And ooh boy do I hate most of the players.

Final Fantasy XIV

8/10

Fantastic MMORPG that plays beautifully on a PS4 pad. Tons of content with continuous support. Highly recommended.

Gris (PC) - 10 

Loved the feeling of this game the art style, the sounds, simple controls and puzzles just a great chill out game. Reminded me very much of how I felt after playing Journey and Flower on the PS4.

Old Man's Journey (PC) - 9

Similar to above with a fairly novel puzzles involving manipulating the landscape tells a nice story and doesn't outstay it's welcome in terms of time investment 

Forza Horizon 3 (PC) 9 

Just started playing this and loving driving around in what feels like, to best describe it, an open world OutRun. Demo put me off on release though glad I took a punt on it recently.

Deliver Us The Moon 4/10

I normally like these fairly gentle walkathons but found this too soporific. There were some annoying, haywire electrics parts. The plot didn’t make an awful lot of sense and the puzzles were perfunctory. 

23 hours ago, Timmo said:

8 and 10.

Your guess would be wrong! I'm not in the camp that feels either of these games are overrated, I'd say they're both of the highest standards of quality. They've long felt to me like companion pieces in terms of excellence viewed through two rather different lenses, and playing them over the course of a week or so each while locked down was an experience that will stay with me for quite some time.

Honestly, I don't even really like ratings, but clearly these two feel like they're in the 10 area of not really liking ratings...

Raiden Fighters Jet (Xbox 360)

A good, honest, crunchy maelstrom of exploding planes, mangled tanks and even more mangled English localisation. I rate it a SOLID EIGHT. The most solid number.