First ever game you ever owned

I got my Commodore 64 when I'd just turned 8.  My brother was five.  And the memory of it is seared into my brain like a Zzap! 64 Sizzler award.

This is the exact - exact - unwrapping and playing order of games at about 6am, December 25th 1984.  It marked the beginning of one young boy's complete love affair with video games.  I also have a little chuckle to myself that the first game I played was a sequel, even back-in-the-day.  Nothing really changes. :)

185434-hunchback-ii-quasimodo-s-revenge-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Daley_Thompson's_Decathlon_Cover.jpg

220px-Gb_box_cover.jpg

It was more Games. I remember me an my bother getting a NES and a SEGA Mastersystem for X-mas one year. The games were NES: Mario 2, Little Nemo, Legend of Zelda 2 and Megaman 3. SMS: Aztec Adventure, Phantasy Star Sonic (built in) and Psychic World.

My first game ever was Airwolf on the ZX Spectrum, bought it from WH Smiths in Exeter in 1984. Amazingly I still have it. The game is absolutely impossible, tried playing again a few years back. We were more patient back then. 

On 17 May 2020 at 15:31, Wools said:

My Mum & Nan gave me a Master System for my earliest remembered birthday and it came with Sonic the Hedgehog as a boxed copy and Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the console itself. I was dead happy.

My earliest 2 gaming memories are asking my Nan to help me compete the 1st underwater octopus Boss in Alex Kidd and Nan helping me for so long, I eventually commented ‘Do you smell burning Nan?’

She had put something in the microwave and forgot about it because of helping me beat the level, it set fire to the food. Luckily, the kitchen didn’t burn down.

My other earliest memory is on holiday in Bournemouth with family and coming across a Virtua Racing sit down machine. I was so in awe after seeing it, then playing it, I threw a strop when my 1 credit was up and had to leave.

Mate, I was married by the time Virtua Racing came out.

I actually still have it, it's this:

8cZbrv3.jpg

First proper "computer game" was Punchy on the Commodore 16, a Hunchback clone that came with the machine.

First console game was Mario All Stars, which was the pack in with the SNES I got for my birthday one year. It remains the only Mario platform game(s) I've played. 

• 2 months later...
On 16/05/2020 at 20:16, Fuddle said:

Ive looked every so often for the first console me and my brother had, and never been able to find it. Maybe it was this?

im sure it was a grandstand, with a switch on the top to choose between variations of pong. Wikipedia says TV game 2000 or 3000, but they have dials on the controllers, ours definitely had long joysticks like this, but I don’t remember cartridges... so I dunno. 

A4544005-1CD5-4707-B794-B09C846692D9.jpeg.73230cb3195e761c0e0dcd5c5dec968b.jpeg

Aha!!!

On 16/05/2020 at 18:38, Benny said:

Either the copy of X-Out for the Amstrad CPC I got for my birthday, or one of the Quattro series of budget shite Codemasters used to pump out.

It just hit me, it was this pile of shit:

953657-quattro_cartoon.png

Easy just look at my profile image it is the Grandstand Mini Munchman, I still have it.

My dad gave me it for my birthday in 1981, next year will be it's 40 year anniversary & it still works :wub:

Bug Byte release of Manic Miner on the ZX Spectrum received with the Spectrum itself Xmas 1983. Life changing moment.

(also got The Hobbit too which was awesome and finished that never did finish Manic Miner though!)

I had a Speccie with a few games that our uncle kindly gave to us.  Manic Miner, Jetpac and Pssst are the games I remember but might have bough Pssst later.  Anyway, Uncle John's by far my favorite Uncle. (He also gave us a scalelectrix and £5* each so spend at the arcade when he visited).

Pssst.  It's like pissed. The hilarity.  We'd have lol'd, except those didn't exist back in the 80's

*My pocket money was something like 20p a week at the time.

On 16/05/2020 at 18:00, Darren said:

Pah, all you Astro Wars kids with your colour graphics and shapes that weren’t just red blobs... didn’t know you were born. Some of us had to make do with:

Mattel_Electronics_Sub_Chase,_Made_in_Ja

I never ever worked out how to play it properly, and remain convinced it was just a random light and sound generator.

Oof, I didn’t have this, but I’ve been wracking my brains for years trying to remember a spacey handheld game with a form factor like this, with a button on the side. To google!

Non computer game was this:

download.jpg.ea83cd87eab71646e585087be3f5b64f.jpg

First computer game that I can distinctly remember is probably this:

images.jpg.1ed65a5c1efa5554fb4b416c5dcaf7e7.jpg

Along with:

2890586-2686010202-49143.jpg.19af59f710bb799e2b42517b2432e904.jpg

They were brilliant :) . 

I got a 48K ZX Spectrum+ for my 11th birthday, and a pack of ten or so games all with the same standardised cover (branded for a store like John Menzies or something). It included Aldi-style renamed games such as Missile Defence, Defenda, etc (all flipping awesome), but the game I found most intriguing and atmospheric was Alchemist. I found it weirdly unsettling, down to the dudes face on the loading screen. Never did complete it. 

The first computer games I ever owned were these that I got for Christmas 1983 when I was 10 and got my Acorn Electron. I remember finding them hidden one of my parents wardrobes a few weeks before the big day and sneaking a look at them whenever I got a chance. I put some serious hours into them back in the day, far more than I do most games now. 

A39DA030-10CA-407D-9B71-E22E0A920ED3.jpeg

8138775C-388B-424F-82FB-1322A4A1E6EC.jpeg

FFB8980E-DE4B-4811-83FD-E896C39E6A29.jpeg

1AD85E56-9DCD-40A9-975A-94F1BC352B2D.jpeg

On 18/05/2020 at 17:45, Wiper said:

First game I owned was probably this Systema Pinball game, which I loved (and is, honestly, probably the best LCD game I ever owned. Surprisingly replayable little thing).

545277271_SystemaPinball.jpg.23efce991481f72b379d07deba064786.jpg

I still have this!

it wasn’t mine, but the first game in our house was this:

image.png.7fe404424b6afd5f5761eee41245ffb3.png

9 hours ago, Popo said:

That looks wicked. I didn’t even know Texas Instruments made things other than calculators!

It was great. However, there weren’t many other games for the machine. Somewhat fortuitously it broke after 3 months, and my Mom and Dad replaced it with a 48k Spectrum. A weaker machine, but loads more games.

The TI 99 had a great footy game. Also Ghost Town - or was it Tombstone? - which had an interesting mechanic whereby if you shot an alien it turned into a cactus, but if that left three cactuses next to each other, they would spawn another alien (and disappear).

The centre town I think was safe, but if you shot an alien while in it, you effectively blocked off an exit with the cactus they turned into. Block them all off, game over.

Surprisingly deep for a single-screen shooter; you'd try to place your shots to group cacti to become aliens, dropping three cacti down to one and freeing up room to move. Edit: Tombstone?

tombstone5.png.4943d07805014e14fb93fc781978233e.png

This Tomy tronic is the one I had and is seared into my mind.

And below the first computer game. The music of which is also seared into my mind! My grandparents were amazing to put up with it!!

F065A003-5CC5-4C32-8920-3593C2D38082.jpeg

1D9180E0-9660-45AE-8A07-F2E6C251FE22.jpeg