IGNORED

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Mogster

The latest episode was excellent. It really does feel like it's from a different franchise entirely from the other new shows.

It feels like Star Trek.:ph34r:

Another decent episode, more submarines than Star Wars, as it should be. Really nice we’re seeing different characters each with their own little stories.

It’s not the best thing ever, but still a massive improvement on recent trek.

I’m definitely not going to go out of my way and look, but I do wonder what all the people who love discovery and picard think of this. Are they sat there wondering why everyone isn’t crying and doing nonsensical stuff? Maybe they hate it? 😅

Had to scroll past at least ten Star Wars threads to find this.

I’ve been very very cautiously warming up to this over the current run of decent-to-good episodes, and episode 5 nailed it for me.

They juggle five or six thematically connected plots about identity, empathy and perspective (which are mostly played for laughs). There’s a final swerve into intergalactic diplomacy which ties all of the loosely connected themes together with a lovely storytelling flourish. It exemplifies what people who like actual Star Trek like about actual Star Trek. It’s a great episode. 

Yep, 5 for 5 and I think I love this show. 

Among other things, I think Ethan Peck plays a great Spock in this, and I hated him in Discovery. His development in this feels like it's actually adding layers to the character, instead of replacing him with a completely different character that completely disrespected the show's history.

All the characters in this are excellent actually, and I couldn't even name most of the characters in Discovery.

This week's episode was complete and utter shit.

Nah, it was really good again. I was surprised to read that this was based on an unused TOS script, but it did have the feel of a classic story. 

57 minutes ago, Spartan said:

6 episodes in and it's barely dropped a beat.

Best Trek in years honestly imo. 

I know it's not saying much, but it really is by far the best Trek has been in a long time. I don't think we've ever had a Star Trek series be so consistently good from the start.

8 hours ago, Mogster said:

I know it's not saying much, but it really is by far the best Trek has been in a long time. I don't think we've ever had a Star Trek series be so consistently good from the start.

It has its faults but I'd agree. It had a VERY steep crater to climb with me after Discovery and "shudders" Picard.

It's not touching the top tiers of trek in the best of TNG or DS9 imo but whoever is writing it I feel is taking their inspiration heavily from TOS. It just finally feels like Star Trek again. Tight but concise stories, touch of ongoing character development and likeable characters.

Christ, I can't stand or even name half the crew in discovery after 4 seasons. 

Watched the first 4 episodes this week and I fully agree with the rest of you, this it so much better than Discovery and Picard, it finally feels like we have a good Star Trek show again. Has to be the best live action show since Voyager and feels like the people writing this really know their Trek.

The characters are much more likable than anyone from Picard and Discovery. I also really like Captain Pike. I didn't know anything relating to him from Discovery because I gave up on that show, but SNW has done a good job with getting me up to speed with him which is really appreciated.

My only 2 gripes (and these are nothing on the quality of the show, characters or writing) is that I do kinda wish this was set in the furture, maybe 200/300 years after DS9 so it didn't have any bagage to either TOS or legacy characters like Picard. You could even keep the "Stange New Worlds" because it could be a new Enterpise discovering things in a new quadrant. It's hard for them to do anything too new and experimental when it's pre TOS and lots of stuff has been established.

I also think the them tune is pretty dull and standard. I know it has samples of TOS in there but was hoping they might go all brass horns again like the 90s show.

9 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I do kinda wish this was set in the furture, maybe 200/300 years after DS9 so it didn't have any bagage to either TOS or legacy characters like Picard.

I used to think this would be a big problem, but in a show like this I don't think it matters too much. The individual episode stories could probably work in any time period with a bit of tweaking, so far at least, and most of the characters are original. The few TOS characters werequite thinly developed in TOS itself, especially Pike and Number One for obvious reasons. We know what ultimately happens to Pike of course, but I think they've done something quite clever by ensuring Pike also shares this knowledge.

Spock is the one character we know a lot about, but even that's mostly in the context of his friendship with Kirk and McCoy. This is a younger, less experienced Spock surrounded by a different cast of characters.

This is also set something like a decade before TOS, which is long enough to avoid clashing with the events of that show.

If you want a far future Star Trek show then that's basically what Discovery is from season 3 onwards, and, well, be careful what you wish for. :ph34r: I did enjoy season 4 a lot more than the first three, but it still stretches its story way too far to fill the season and doesn't have anything like as good a cast of characters.

On 10/06/2022 at 09:06, JohnC said:

And Benny still won’t watch

Benny may be taking the same stance that I am: they fucked Discovery, they fucked Picard, so I’m not inclined to give them a third chance. It may very well be the best Trek in years, but I simply cannot bring myself to reward these showrunners in any shape or form given what they’ve already done to Trek as a whole. 

1 minute ago, Garibaldi said:

Benny may be taking the same stance that I am: they fucked Discovery, they fucked Picard, so I’m not inclined to give them a third chance. It may very well be the best Trek in years, but I simply cannot bring myself to reward these showrunners in any shape or form given what they’ve already done to Trek as a whole. 

Pirate it then. It's not like it's easy to watch any other way at the moment.

Picard is bloody awful, sure, but I'd lay no small part of that on Stewart himself. Meanwhile Lower Decks has been excellent, Prodigy is a decent show for younger viewers, and I'd even say Discovery is at least improving. 

Strange New Worlds addresses every single criticism you could lay at the other live action shows. It goes back to self contained episodes instead of stretching out a thin fate of the galaxy plot and has an excellent ensemble cast. If Discovery was Paramount trying to chase modern TV trends using Star Trek clothing, Strange New Worlds is them simply trying to make a good Star Trek show. That, in my opinion, is well worth rewarding.

4 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

😄 they'll be gutted! All of the people in here who like Star Trek say it's something you'll like if you like Star Trek. The only person you're not rewarding by ignoring it is you. 

I've never really watched any Trek but always quite liked the idea of it. Am I going to need to have watched every other series ever to get this?

36 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

😄 they'll be gutted! All of the people in here who like Star Trek say it's something you'll like if you like Star Trek. The only person you're not rewarding by ignoring it is you. 

Perhaps, but you’ve got to stick by your convictions. These clowns have put me through an emotional wringer with their clueless Trek, so I’m not about to start giving them the time of day now they’ve apparently, finally, got it right. 

9 hours ago, Mogster said:

I used to think this would be a big problem, but in a show like this I don't think it matters too much. The individual episode stories could probably work in any time period with a bit of tweaking, so far at least, and most of the characters are original. The few TOS characters werequite thinly developed in TOS itself, especially Pike and Number One for obvious reasons. We know what ultimately happens to Pike of course, but I think they've done something quite clever by ensuring Pike also shares this knowledge.

Spock is the one character we know a lot about, but even that's mostly in the context of his friendship with Kirk and McCoy. This is a younger, less experienced Spock surrounded by a different cast of characters.

This is also set something like a decade before TOS, which is long enough to avoid clashing with the events of that show.

If you want a far future Star Trek show then that's basically what Discovery is from season 3 onwards, and, well, be careful what you wish for. :ph34r: I did enjoy season 4 a lot more than the first three, but it still stretches its story way too far to fill the season and doesn't have anything like as good a cast of characters.

Yeah of course I mean in the future but with good writers and characters :lol:

4 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Perhaps, but you’ve got to stick by your convictions. These clowns have put me through an emotional wringer with their clueless Trek, so I’m not about to start giving them the time of day now they’ve apparently, finally, got it right. 

It's not literally the same team doing every show is it? Paramount have three live action shows and two animated ones in rotation, not to mention more spin-offs supposedly on the way. The same people can't possibly be churning out all of them. For what it's worth, the animated shows are also both good at what they do.

I grew up with Star Trek. I've seen all of the other shows and movies, and watched most of them as they aired from some point through TNG. As a kid I used to read Star Trek novels, owned two technical manuals and even collected the official Fact Files for way too long. I think I still own a medical tricorder toy, the TNG video board game and that rather neat Bluetooth TOS communicator. It's fair to say I know what Star Trek should be like.

I suffered through all of Picard and Discovery, and until now hailed The Orville as the closest thing we had to a proper new live action Star Trek show.

Strange New Worlds is an actual, proper new Star Trek show, and it's very good. There's no "apparently" about it.

Convictions are all well and good, but in this case you're just cheating yourself out of a good Star Trek show because it followed a couple of bad ones.

3 hours ago, Flub said:

Spoiler for the last episode

Reveal hidden contents

"Will he suffer?" "Yes"

Wasn't expecting it to go that way at all.

I was actually feeling a bit emotional by the end of the episode.

Spoiler

It wasn't so much the events of the episode that got to me, but the toll it clearly took on Pike.

I couldn't imagine feeling that way about any character in Discovery, and certainly not Picard. This has managed it after five episodes.

8 hours ago, Hexx said:

No other Trek series has been this consistent for it's first X episodes has it?

Enterprise?

That had a fairly good run, with just one that dropped below 7 on IMDB in the first nine episodes, but now I’ve checked, Discovery was similar. 

SNW has it beat by a clear margin. 

A5CAEF9C-F3AF-4213-82EF-6BE7B570BF62.jpeg

787ED796-92EF-4BED-8FC8-93C38B20D343.jpeg

Just watched epsiode 5 and it was so much fun. Episode 4 was a life and death one and then the follow up is a body swap epsiode whilst other crew members play Enterprise bingo :lol:. I love it. This is Star Trek, a fantasric blend of serious issues and situations but with lots of fun mixed in between to counterbalance it.