IGNORED

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Mogster

Really enjoying it. Anson is a stand out.

Question for TOS era ethics folk - was it acceptable to plan to divert the comet? (Thinking about the non interference aspect of the Prime Directive). Not sure they would have done that in TNG era?

43 minutes ago, Venice Cull said:

Really enjoying it. Anson is a stand out.

Question for TOS era ethics folk - was it acceptable to plan to divert the comet? (Thinking about the non interference aspect of the Prime Directive). Not sure they would have done that in TNG era?

They'd at least have had a lengthy debate in the captain's quarters about it first.

3 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

They'd at least have had a lengthy debate in the captain's quarters about it first.

And Kirk would have tried to shag a local. 

More seriously, yes they’d have happily moved it. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Episode 2 was another great episode of genuine modern Star Trek. This guy playing Spock is pretty good.

Yep, he’s growing on me, though Zachary Quinto was perfect in the role. 

57 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

Yep, he’s growing on me, though Zachary Quinto was perfect in the role. 

Yes he was (might still be if they hopefully make a fourth), though it's arguable that Peck has more of Nimoy's voice.

WTF is this writing?!? They're

Spoiler

stuck on a meteor with less than 2 hours before their meds run out, and a bit longer before they get smashed into a planet, and the others still insist on having a chat with Uhura instead of letting her get on with the very time sensitive job that only she can do!!!!

Nice to know Star Trek computers have Shazam installed

Pleasantly surprised it’s still okay! 

Swearing still feels weird, and I did roll my eyes at

Spoiler

Uhura‘s tragic backstory... because obviously she has one. Does anybody in Star fleet still have parents that weren’t killed off horribly? 

But still, not bad

On 13/05/2022 at 19:42, Venice Cull said:

This crops up in the Voyager Year of Hell two-parter.

Spoiler

Chakotay is being held on a time ship and proposes that they save a planet by diverting a comet in the past. However, a simulation shows the comet was important for seeding life on several planets and the plan has to be abandoned.

I lasted until the bit in Episode 1 where they break the woman officer out of the prison cell and she is fully made up to the point of ridiculousness. Captured on an enemy world, using a spoon to break a hole in the wall, but clearly ready access to an alien Oriflame rep with foundation, toner, lipstick and mascara? 

The rest of it was fairly shit too. The problem with this is that Orville and Lower Decks exist. This isn't serious enough to be good and not funny enough to be breezy entertainment. 

It's better than Picard and Discovery but then a chilli enema is better than Picard and Discovery.

I made it through episode one but that’s it for me, far too ridiculous. The ‘disguises’ scene really killed it and nothing brought it back from there. 

27 minutes ago, layten said:

3 decent episodes of Star Trek in a row now.

Reveal hidden contents

Yep. I'm still wary as I seem to recall Discovery season 2 feeling promising at this point, and we all know how that turned out.

Still, if SNW keeps this up...

Episode 3 was the best yet and some classic 'Trek.

Spoiler

An Ion storm, power issues on the ship, a transporter malfunction, an unknowable alien presence, a stranded away team and a nice mystery to solve. Pikes hair is still the star of the show.

Another reasonably nice episode, good that we are seeing a bit more of the different crew members. Already more than the first few seasons of discovery. 

They really do need to lay off the tragic back stories though, it’s getting comedic now.

Stories and writing aside, I always get a big kick out of seeing how the production designers show us the classic trek period through the lens of 21st century effects and budgets. 

The phasers and communicators look pretty much the same (with proper sound effects!), but the outfits look more uniform like with the addition of embossed panels and more formal collars - it’s like they’re the same uniforms but you can see more detail. The little embossed symbols - like the shapes on the PS5, reflect the department that the officer works in. It’s really lovely attention to detail.

And I love that the Enterprise’s nacelles have the glowy red patterns at the front. Even the turbolifts have that swirly pattern on the wall on the back. 

Yeah, all the design work is lovely, and much better than the Abrams re-imaginings. The only issue I have is that I think the Enterprise would look better in white, although it makes sense that it could just get a paint job along with its Kirk era refit.