IGNORED

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Mogster

49 minutes ago, Peter said:

Does this have characters from and references to Discovery (I only watched halve of S1 of Discovery)?

I didn't understand most of the back story from the characters. Was is all referring to things that happened in Discovery?

Hide contents

Pike's death, the 1st officer, the security officer / first officer, Spock, the other crew like the doctor.

What was Kirk doing there in the end, is it James T. Kirk's father?

I'll spoiler the specifics just in case, but yes there were some references to Discovery and TOS, and even The Animated Series.

TOS stuff:

Spoiler

Robert April was the first captain of the Enterprise, first introduced in The Animated Series I believe.

Pike was the second captain, and was the captain in the original TOS pilot "The Cage" which wasn't aired at the time. Instead the character was reintroduced in a two parter in which Pike was restricted to a Davros style wheelchair thing following some kind of accident. The episode used footage from The Cage, and ultimately gave Pike his life back, at least in his mind thanks to the telepathic aliens he was reunited with.

Spock was obviously in TOS, and was Pike's first officer in The Cage as well as Kirk's.

Uhura was Kirk's communications officer in TOS.

Nurse Chapel was a TOS character.

"Number One" (the one Pike rescued) was Pike's first officer in the Cage.

Samuel Kirk is James Kirk's older brother. He showed up dead in a TOS episode, but otherwise I think that's about it.

Discovery stuff:

Spoiler

Pike and Spock were major characters in Discovery season 2, with Pike being one of the few good things about it.

Pike takes over as Captain of Discovery for the season, and took Spock on board with him.

Burnham in Discovery is the adoptive sister of Spock.

At one point, Pike sees how he becomes wheelchair bound in TOS time after coming into contact with a Klingon time crystal. No, really. That's how he knows his future in SNW. He uses "death" figuratively as he doesn't quite die.

At the end of Discovery season 2, Pike and Spock, back on the Enterprise, provide cover for Discovery to escape to the future for silly reasons. Discovery's very existence, along with its crew then becomes completely classified because Spock tells Starfleet not to talk about it. Again, really.

The security officer is La'an Noonian Singh, who is presumably a relation of Khan but is otherwise a new character.

4 hours ago, Mogster said:

I'll spoiler the specifics just in case, but yes there were some references to Discovery and TOS, and even The Animated Series.

TOS stuff:

Hide contents

Robert April was the first captain of the Enterprise, first introduced in The Animated Series I believe.

I’m pretty sure

Spoiler

That name was used in one of the early draft scripts for TOS, then retconned into TAS  

21 hours ago, Thor said:

What do you mean by "via the OS"? I'm watching a 4k Dolby Vision rip right now on my LG C9, and it's showing in Dolby Vision via an external HDD plugged in via USB.

Well, it didn't work for me, then I did a bit of googling, and it appears the OS doesn't play DV properly from an MKV. Maybe I got a dud one? I find it kinda reassuring you've had success! 

On 07/05/2022 at 19:08, Thor said:

Everything looked fine to me. Quality was excellent. 

I downloaded another copy that was just HDR, looked amazing! DV stuff (that doesn't also contain the HDR10 data like normal) just looks purple and green.

6 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

I downloaded another copy that was just HDR, looked amazing! DV stuff (that doesn't also contain the HDR10 data like normal) just looks purple and green.

That's proper fucked up...

Watched the first episode again last night, haven't done that with any other new trek series (but will definitely rewatch Lower Decks at some point). It really is a great, modern slice of genuine Star Trek. :wub:

This was really good this week. Felt like a proper big budget Star Trek episode. :D

It's also managed to make me care about most of the bridge crew already, which Discovery hasn't managed in four seasons.

Absolutely, really enjoyed that. It may not have been hugely original, but it managed to feel fresh and fun and we're actually encountering new aliens of various kinds!  

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

This was really good this week. Felt like a proper big budget Star Trek episode. :D

It's also managed to make me care about most of the bridge crew already, which Discovery hasn't managed in four seasons.

Yes, on both counts. I know more about Ortegas already than I do about Nilsson, Bryce, or the bug headed thing. 

1 hour ago, MDY said:

Absolutely, really enjoyed that. It may not have been hugely original, but it managed to feel fresh and fun and we're actually encountering new aliens of various kinds!  

Speaking of which,

Spoiler

I was impressed at the amount of work that had been put in to show the aliens on the planet in their little settlement. The episode could have easily gotten away with simply mentioning that the planet was inhabited, but they went the extra mile.

Also, so far we've got two self contained stories with a bit of character development to link them. More like this please! Along with the "these are the voyages" intro this is the first of the new live action shows that really feels like Star Trek.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

The wise man waits until the season is over and then sees what people are saying then before deciding to binge.

Maybe, but unlike the other new live action shows this seems to be much more of a traditional, story of the week thing. Both episodes so far have satisfying, self-contained endings which will hopefully continue, so even if they go for a daft, galaxy in peril finalé it's not like the earlier episodes will be any worse as a result.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

The wise man waits until the season is over and then sees what people are saying then before deciding to binge.

Indeed. These show runners have shit the bed one too many times for me to be overly eager to slip back under the covers. That said, episodic ‘situation of the week’ really does seem to be a better fit for them as it forces discipline. They write a duff storyline and it’s a one hour mistake, as opposed to a ten hour blunder. It’s also antithetical to the cancer that is mystery-box storytelling, due to the format’s self-contained nature. 

It still has the (big) chance of all going pear-shaped, of course. Kurtzman and his merry band have done untold damage to the Star Trek brand, and may very well continue to do so. While we can’t wind the clock back on that, it is gratifying to see them forced to embrace a format which, so far at least, nullifies much of their lazy bullshit. 

41 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Wait wait wait. Hold the fuck on.

2 episodes down and it's still good?  What is going on here?

plenty of time for it to shit the bed,

I watched both of these so far. There's STILL one or two niggles here and there. Kurtzmans "lets include a kooky socially awkward female character" needs to go away. Pacing feels a little off here and there. the Enterprise sets are not great; a cross between the set of The Voice and a modern recreation of Trump Tower with all the gold and ostentatious captains quarters not gelling with disco nightclub bridge. Hopefully we get to see Engineering at some point. The space combat scenes are the weakest part. Far too Star Wars in both episodes. we get the enterprise doing its best Millenium Falcon in Ep2 and Ep1 hanging around in atmosphere.

I was dreading it when i saw they had a Noonien Singh in it, but she was the highlight of Episode 1. Mostly sidelined for Ep2 but they were focusing on a different character which is fine. Peck Spock was better in episode 2 than episode 1.

BUT

they've both been solid 7+ out of 10 episodes.  I can't be excited for the whole series as we KNOW who's running this ship and has proved over pretty much every live action series they've done to date, they cant do Star Trek.

1 hour ago, Nicky said:

Hopefully we get to see Engineering at some point.

We already have a few times now, I think. There was Pike's vision of the future way back in Discovery (assuming that was the Enterprise), which was shown again in the first episode of SNW. I'm pretty sure we saw it as it currently looks in that first episode too, with the TOS style engine grill as well as a vertical warp core.

3 hours ago, Nicky said:

Hopefully we get to see Engineering at some point.

Next week. From the next time trailer I watched on Youtube earlier it's a cross between the original slimmed down TOS version and the more modern "slap a big warp core in the middle". It's modern Trek flashy but very linked to the original series at the same time.

I do like the chief engineer