IGNORED

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Mogster

3 minutes ago, JamesC said:

I hate the updated and overdesigned uniforms and sets.

This would be much more fun if they just embraced the design sensibilities of TOS. 

I actually thought the design of the Enterprise bridge in Discovery was a fantastic update to the TOS version. It certainly looked a lot better than Discovery's.

People are saying there's a line in the original series where Kirk says he'd never met Pike. Can't wait for the convoluted hurdles they go through to retcon that. Maybe it'll be as good as nobody ever mentioned Discovery or Spock's sister because the Federation made it a super double secret probation offence to talk about it on pain of torture.

58 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Paramount are reaching a point where they might as well be honest and do a full reboot of the Trek universe, aren't they?

(Dunno about this actor, incidentally, but he couldn't be any worse than the miscast Pine bloke.)

Maybe that's why Q is in it. He might put things right!

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

People are saying there's a line in the original series where Kirk says he'd never met Pike. Can't wait for the convoluted hurdles they go through to retcon that. Maybe it'll be as good as nobody ever mentioned Discovery or Spock's sister because the Federation made it a super double secret probation offence to talk about it on pain of torture.

Maybe he's just always distracted or looking the other way.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm certainly more inclined to watch that than Discovery. Really hoping they lean heavily into the diplomacy they opened that trailer with- I need some optimistic Trek.

Cautiously optimistic here, doesn't seem to be a galaxy ending event the crew have to stop so that helps. I gave up on Discovery and Picard but enjoy Lower Decks so hopefully this will be some good live action Star Trek to watch.

Any word on who will be streaming this in the UK?

16 hours ago, JohnC said:

I think it’ll be Paramount+, when that launches. 

Well that's disappointing as that trailer appears to be for a show that's better than Disco and Picard combined. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not getting on the Sonic Cycle. From this Engadget preview it's going to be a load of the usual janky Nutrek. 

Don't forget, Picard Season 1 was getting 8/10s before release as well. 

https://www.engadget.com/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-preview-040051197.html?guccounter=1

"And having now seen the first half of the first season (a second is already in production) I can say that Strange New Worlds will be a frustrating watch for fans. Frustrating because there are the bones of a really fun, interesting Star Trek series buried deep inside Strange New Worlds. Sadly, it’s trapped in the usual mix of faux-melodrama, clanging dialogue and dodgy plotting with the usual lapses in logic. Many writers are blind to their own flaws, which is why it’s so amusing that this is what Kurtzman and co. feel is a radical departure from their own work."

I’ll watch it, but I’m not going to tricked this early. 

I fully expect it to be a drawn out season long story of saving the universe again. And if it’s not I’ll get a nice surprise.