Jump to content

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds


Mogster
 Share

Recommended Posts

Okay controversial theory/devil's advocate: all the Star Trek shit going on at the moment is not meant for the likes of us who actually remember seeing things like TNG when they were on originally. They're made for people under 30 for whom all of the 'classic' Star Trek is a background rather than something tangible. They prefer season-spanning stories rather than individual episodes-

 

No no, I can't go on. I'm trying to level best to understand the appeal of things like Picard, a show that whilst it had good fan service was off the mark.

 

What's so fucking hard about doing a series where each week the crew of a ship is featured stumbles across some shit going on in a distant colony or whatever, gives us some interesting SF idea to chew on, then warps off to the next exciting encounter? That's what I want. No overarching story, no end-of-the-universe cobblers. It's my pet hate with all these sort of shows right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I think it is probably also a case of Paramount having exactly one property they can use in the Franchise Wars and desperately trying different things to see what sticks. Discovery has been three different things, there’s a cartoon, we had what was ostensibly a prestige drama, and now there’s this Just Regular Old Star Trek. I don’t think they’re trying to target a younger audience specifically, rather they’re rolling the dice over and over and seeing what quadrants of the audience chart respond.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Well, I think it is probably also a case of Paramount having exactly one property they can use in the Franchise Wars and desperately trying different things to see what sticks. Discovery has been three different things, there’s a cartoon, we had what was ostensibly a prestige drama, and now there’s this Just Regular Old Star Trek. I don’t think they’re trying to target a younger audience specifically, rather they’re rolling the dice over and over and seeing what quadrants of the audience chart respond.


And yet the thing they’ve not tried is.. making a show in the model of Star Trek.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind if we got a star trek show that had a series spanning arc, ds9 invented the bloody idea for one thing. Voyager lost it but you could very, very easily make an alien (situation) of the week within a general series spanning story too.

 

It's not got anything to do with the structure (for me) I just want a good television show set within that universe. 

 

Oh and if you do make a series long story, don't rip it off a video game and don't make it about the whole galaxy will explode if we don't shoot lots of lasers (or photon torpedoes) at a thing. 

 

I mean bits of Picard you could have probably made an interesting star trek story or series about. Him coming out of retirement after he finds out about robot slavery while he's doing some archaeology or something. Then he could go about the galaxy and meet up with old chums/ other species to talk about robot slavery and do some good speeches, throw in some Shakespeare and make everyone realise that we shouldn't do that. 

 

You can throw in action episodes into that too - here's a planet where synths are doing all of the war for some differing factions, here's some secret anti robot serial killer blahblahblah.

 

Just not a show that is like any old Sci fi but with star trek paint by numbers over the top of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, thesnwmn said:


And yet the thing they’ve not tried is.. making a show in the model of Star Trek.

 

I mean, this is that show, allegedly. Not that I think that Kurtzman and co will be able to do it. Anson Mount will give it a good go, mind - his sheer charisma in the Pike role may well fool us for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Let's all refresh ourselves on Akiva Goldsman's genre bibliography.

 

Batman Forever

Batman & Robin

Lost in Space

I, Robot

I Am Legend

Insurgent

The 5th Wave

The Dark Tower

 

You wouldn't find that many turds if you fell down a manhole.

 

It's very second-league reboot territory. After 25-odd years you'd think there would be more hits. So when you look at that list you know you're going to get something strictly okay, definitely not great. That I Am Legend film though, don't get me started. What a total insult to the book. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/03/2021 at 22:21, Alex W. said:

Well, I think it is probably also a case of Paramount having exactly one property they can use in the Franchise Wars and desperately trying different things to see what sticks. Discovery has been three different things, there’s a cartoon, we had what was ostensibly a prestige drama, and now there’s this Just Regular Old Star Trek. I don’t think they’re trying to target a younger audience specifically, rather they’re rolling the dice over and over and seeing what quadrants of the audience chart respond.

Universal translator :- “throw shit at walls to see what sticks”.

 

That said it’s nice to see Anson Mounts seemingly genuine enthusiasm for the project.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Vimster said:

It's very second-league reboot territory. After 25-odd years you'd think there would be more hits. So when you look at that list you know you're going to get something strictly okay, definitely not great. That I Am Legend film though, don't get me started. What a total insult to the book. 


I didn’t realise his track record was that bad. The Dark Tower was an abomination, a 1000s of pages book series turned into a 90min film. 
 

Who at Paramount took a look at that CV and thought “This is a person to bring back Star Trek”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DonRumsfeld said:

Who at Paramount took a look at that CV and thought “This is a person to bring back Star Trek”

 

The same person who looked at the CV of the guy who screwed up Sony's attempt at a Spider-man universe so badly they had to go cap in hand to Disney to salvage things and who then went on to fuck up Universal's attempt at a classic monster cinematic universe so somprehensively it ever even progressed beyond the first film, despite stars being signed up to contracts and future projects announced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/03/2021 at 22:13, Vimster said:

Okay controversial theory/devil's advocate: all the Star Trek shit going on at the moment is not meant for the likes of us who actually remember seeing things like TNG when they were on originally. They're made for people under 30 for whom all of the 'classic' Star Trek is a background rather than something tangible. They prefer season-spanning stories rather than individual episodes-

 

No no, I can't go on. I'm trying to level best to understand the appeal of things like Picard, a show that whilst it had good fan service was off the mark.

 

What's so fucking hard about doing a series where each week the crew of a ship is featured stumbles across some shit going on in a distant colony or whatever, gives us some interesting SF idea to chew on, then warps off to the next exciting encounter? That's what I want. No overarching story, no end-of-the-universe cobblers. It's my pet hate with all these sort of shows right now.

 

Yeah, it's just RECOGNISED BRAND to the people making it, who don't give a shit about the history or the fans. Now, 'the fans' of anything can go do one generally, but it's usually a good idea to make use of the history, or at least do what they do in comics and be upfront about starting a new continuity or retelling, but TV is too fundamentally dishonest for that.

 

It's fascinating (cheers, I know) that while most people plumped for ongoing miniseries style tv vs episodic in the recent thread we had, the breaking point for people seems to be when an episodic classic show tries to become the miniseries style. Or maybe it's because Picard and Star Trek: Burnham are shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 1968 Save Star Trek Letter Writing Campaign was started by fans. I suppose that was back during more innocent times, before the internet enabled the contrarians to herd together and bray loudly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
Spoiler

89C618DE-0636-41B3-B315-469420B10B27.thumb.jpeg.80db45e0f6171e2ed5f0fc90457b617a.jpeg


I accept there’s a possibility that this surname is a coincidence, but with the writing on Picard and ST:Burnham being as it is, I very much doubt it. They even rhymed her first name.

 

’Star Trek : Small New Worlds’ ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jammy said:
  Hide contents

89C618DE-0636-41B3-B315-469420B10B27.thumb.jpeg.80db45e0f6171e2ed5f0fc90457b617a.jpeg


I accept there’s a possibility that this surname is a coincidence, but with the writing on Picard and ST:Burnham being as it is, I very much doubt it. They even rhymed her first name.

 

’Star Trek : Small New Worlds’ ?

 

Coincidence my hole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, b00dles said:

She's going to be a super realistic robot and it will be a "twist" reveal at some point. 

 

Oh god, that's the worst thing about Discovery. I keep forgetting as I don't rewatch it. Yes, you telegraphed the twist several times for months. We fucking know already. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, b00dles said:

She's going to be a super realistic robot and it will be a "twist" reveal at some point. 


I’m thinking more along these lines…

 

Spoiler

573D38B8-26AF-4898-90C0-7CFD4333077A.thumb.jpeg.2c8a4f051b779777eb42d5d75206337f.jpeg

 

What are we guessing for relationship ? I’m going sister.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jammy said:


I’m thinking more along these lines…

 

  Reveal hidden contents

573D38B8-26AF-4898-90C0-7CFD4333077A.thumb.jpeg.2c8a4f051b779777eb42d5d75206337f.jpeg

 

What are we guessing, cousin ? Daughter ? Sister ?

 

It has to be as direct as possible. As if it's going to be a cousin in this tiny little universe. 

 

EDIT:

 

Spoiler

Oh shit! Of course! It's actually him himself!!! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jammy said:


I’m thinking more along these lines…

 

  Reveal hidden contents

573D38B8-26AF-4898-90C0-7CFD4333077A.thumb.jpeg.2c8a4f051b779777eb42d5d75206337f.jpeg

 

What are we guessing, cousin ? Daughter ? Sister ?

 

None of those suggestions are dumb enough. I'm guessing it's his mother, launched forward in time by some sort of anomaly. But from another dimension. And she's been a hologram the WHOLE TIME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jammy said:


I’m thinking more along these lines…

 

  Hide contents

573D38B8-26AF-4898-90C0-7CFD4333077A.thumb.jpeg.2c8a4f051b779777eb42d5d75206337f.jpeg

 

What are we guessing; cousin ? Daughter ? Sister ? Mum ?

Oh yeah, I am a donut, I understood it as noonien soong, you're totally right. :facepalm:

 

Actually, she's probably still a robot because that would be stupid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's great to see M'Benga and Chapel making an appearance in this new series.

 

I'm actually surprised to discover Dr M'Benga appeared in only two TOS episodes. He had such a clearly defined role in the Enterprise's medical hierarchy that I assumed he was a semi-regular cast member. (Disclaimer: I only watch the original series when it's on TV and probably see the same episodes repeatedly).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.