Where do you buy your retro games?

I’m just wondering wether there’s somewhere I’m unaware of or have massively overlooked when it comes to buying retro games? Generally if I want something I try -

Here

eBay

FB Selling Pages

And obvs not currently but Car Boots. Is there somewhere glaringly obvious that I’m missing because when it comes to eBay the prices are ridiculous, I’m not paid £60 for an unboxed Mario Tennis on the GBA, and it seems that folks on FB Selling are wise to it also, everything is snapped up within seconds or priced by retro game sellers instead of the average Joe,

I massively regret selling off my Retro Games collection when my first Daughter was born as I got literally peanuts and to replace would now cost me tens of thousands,

Thanks guys

There was a time I used to get lots of good bargains via Amazon Marketplace but the prices for even mediocre stuff has gone right up. 

Whilst I've sworn off buying games for the moment I'd say Facebook is good if you want to put the effort in. You have to have your notifications on point to get in on the real bargains, time and time again I'd see something I wanted and someone had got in there straight away, or I was left with the tat. And I built up good relationships with a few sellers, they'd keep my details and know what I liked. One guy on a Commodore group knew I liked disc games and would occasionally give me a heads-up either via Messenger or tagging me in - he knew how to get repeat business. 

eBay I prefer for more recent games, PS2/PS3/360/etc. Again I'm trying to avoid picking up games for the sake of it right now, I'm definitely not a collector!

eBay and forums used to be my main source but a lot of that had dried up completely. I used to buy Famicom and PC Engine stuff from Genki but not for a long time now.

I've largely stopped buying for cart-based consoles as there are now so many fakes circulating. The last time I looked at SNES games I was astonished to see that people are now having to dismantle their carts and show PCBs to demonstrate that what they're selling is genuine.

I like having the real thing but the sad truth is that Everdrives have saved me a lot of money and grief dealing with issues from sellers. I'm expecting ODE replacements like MODE to do the same for me in future.

29 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

eBay and forums used to be my main source but a lot of that had dried up completely. I used to buy Famicom and PC Engine stuff from Genki but not for a long time now.

I've largely stopped buying for cart-based consoles as there are now so many fakes circulating. The last time I looked at SNES games I was astonished to see that people are now having to dismantle their carts and show PCBs to demonstrate that what they're selling is genuine.

I like having the real thing but the sad truth is that Everdrives have saved me a lot of money and grief dealing with issues from sellers. I'm expecting ODE replacements like MODE to do the same for me in future.

Some snes games can go into hundreds of pounds - it seems only sensible to open the case and see whats inside.

It's just two screws, it takes seconds to look. I check every game i buy on ebay, and they are really good at refunding you if you have a fake cart - there is non grief.  And it's still really rare, especially at the low end of the market.

I guess with an Everdrive then its 100% guaranteed that all of your games are fake.

6 minutes ago, ulala said:

Some snes games can go into hundreds of pounds - it seems only sensible to open the case and see whats inside.

It's just two screws, it takes seconds to look. I check every game i buy on ebay, and they are really good at refunding you if you have a fake cart - there is non grief.  And it's still really rare, especially at the low end of the market.

I guess with an Everdrive then its 100% guaranteed that all of your games are fake.

Are you going to do this in every thread? As soon as I saw you posting in here I just knew you'd have something snarky to say about flash carts. It's like clockwork, and why we end up in tedious, cyclical discussions about stuff like FPGAs in hardware threads.

The price of retro games are absurd nowadays. Saturn PAL stuff is particularly expensive and often in poor condition due to twenty five year old shit cases.

The only time I buy retro games now is if I can buy a big hardware bundle with a load of games, usually a buy it now from Ebay, taking out what I want and selling the rest. In most cases the selling will cover the cost of the original bundle so I get the games for free, with the caveat of having to put the time and effort into cleaning , listing and posting everything else separately which can be very time consuming. 

Yeah it’s a shame ebay has gone a bit backwards. Used to be that selling it second hand meant you’d pay less as it wasn’t new. Now though sellers are not willing to sell unless it’s for more than what the last one sold for.

So many listings where offers are accepted but they won’t accept anything less than the buy it now price wasting everyone’s time.

Then there are the collectors fueled by Facebook groups where collecting is the main game. Sealed copies going from person to person every few months, terrible games like MoHo going for hundreds because collectors want a full collection before they sell it all on months later. They don’t even appear to enjoy games, just the hunt of collecting.

Finally you have the people making stuff up just for the sale. Eg. Saying something comes in a collectors box despite that being the generic box it originally sold in or saying it’s rare despite it being a dirty wrecked copy of Mario Bros 3. 

It’s odd as you can still find sealed dreamcast games on eBay for around £10 and yet people are selling and buying wrecks of the same game for £20. Far too many people out there with too much money (or not going by their posts of having to sell collections because the car needs a repair or some other low cost reason) who are just doing it to post pictures. Why would you want to own three copies of MoHo on the Dreamcast at £300 a piece?

Im actually finding some retro shops are cheaper than eBay especially for the more desirable items. Even Cex can have a price wildly swing. Look at Shenmue, 2 years ago people were wanting upwards of £80, now it’s easy to find for £20.

As far as I can see, retro games are only going to get more expensive. Every year that goes by, more 8 and 16-bit stuff dies or breaks, so there's more demand for the ever diminishing remaining items, particularly if they are boxed or in good condition. Or just about any condition, if they are decent or rare games. 

It's the main reason I've started my own small collection of games that are important/personal to me - not because I think I'll be able to sell them for more in the future, but because I don't think I'll be able to justify the expense of buying them in the future, if I don't buy them now!

Of course there's always the chance it's a bubble of some sort - but I don't think that's the case. I can't see what would be creating it. (unless lots of people are thinking the same way as me - and trying to secure their long-lost childhood favourites before it's too late). 

eBay is still a good place for me, although I'm usually looking for very specific games (and usually for the Spectrum and Commodore 64, so the price is typically lower). I save searches on eBay and then on the app go to My eBay\Saved to see any little blue notifications of something new for that search. Sometimes you can pick up decent bargains, but again this is probably down to the volatile nature of tape based games, but to be honest I typically don't play the tape, I just load it from an SD device and then read the tape box which gives a nice nostalgic feeling! If you do the saved search thing then do be prepared for outlandish retro listings, but occasionally you do get someone selling something for a decent price.

Games that are more longer lasting - cartridges and CD based - are definitely going up in price, but there's definitely less retro games being sold on eBay at the moment. A couple of retro game eBay sellers that I follow literally dropped all their listings as soon as we went into lockdown. However, there does seem to be more bundles going on eBay, which might be down to either people clearing out their houses or they need the cash. Most of the bundles contain crap, but there's definitely the odd bargain to pick up.

When I was getting back into the Dreamcast a while back I noticed the amount of cheap sealed stock that was about; Sega and publishers apparently having over-manufactured hardware and games to such an extent that stock trickling out of warehouses & being sold at bargain-bin prices for decades to come was a thing. New keyboard? That'll be £3. Two new vibration packs? £10. New VMUs for £6 a piece. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, the last games I bought were in the trading folder here. Trustworthy people, no bullshit, reasonable prices.

If I wanted to sell off any stuff I'd do it here too. I don't have the constitution to deal with eBay anymore. 

23 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

As far as I can see, retro games are only going to get more expensive. Every year that goes by, more 8 and 16-bit stuff dies or breaks, so there's more demand for the ever diminishing remaining items, particularly if they are boxed or in good condition. Or just about any condition, if they are decent or rare games. 

It's the main reason I've started my own small collection of games that are important/personal to me - not because I think I'll be able to sell them for more in the future, but because I don't think I'll be able to justify the expense of buying them in the future, if I don't buy them now!

Of course there's always the chance it's a bubble of some sort - but I don't think that's the case. I can't see what would be creating it. (unless lots of people are thinking the same way as me - and trying to secure their long-lost childhood favourites before it's too late). 

I agree. You even find people

doing repros of covers. As soon as someone is able to do disc based boxes (N64 boxes and carts already exist), manuals and especially the CDs then prices surely have to fall. I’m surprised some company hasn’t tried to get the rights to remake Saturn games etc. I actually hope it happens as if it looks and feels the same who cares if the physical game product was made in 1999 or 2020.

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

Yeah it’s a shame ebay has gone a bit backwards. Used to be that selling it second hand meant you’d pay less as it wasn’t new. Now though sellers are not willing to sell unless it’s for more than what the last one sold for.

So many listings where offers are accepted but they won’t accept anything less than the buy it now price wasting everyone’s time.

Then there are the collectors fueled by Facebook groups where collecting is the main game. Sealed copies going from person to person every few months, terrible games like MoHo going for hundreds because collectors want a full collection before they sell it all on months later. They don’t even appear to enjoy games, just the hunt of collecting.

I've definitely noticed there's a lot of crap circulating around Facebook groups, people buying up bundles just to make up different bundles to sell on. When something genuinely new and interesting pops up it gets snapped up straight away probably because it isn't the same old Speccy detritus. 

Plus Facebook is crap if you're looking for anything specific. You can't set up custom searches by all accounts, you just have to go with what's being offered. It's pure pot luck. 

I've just started looking at collecting NTSC N64 games (to play, not just to look pretty on a shelf).

One thing I've noticed on eBay is that the prices for Japanese games are so much more reasonable than US games, or even PAL games. It's meant I'm definitely going to look at picking up the Japanese versions of anything that isn't text heavy. I don't know if that's unique to the N64 but it's probably something worth looking into.

I used to pick stuff up from a myriad of places, nowadays it’s almost exclusively here. 

CEX is really good for the previous generations stuff, but we’re seeing that almost come to an end with 360 games as their shelf space dwindles away.  I imagine it’ll be the place to quickly and easily get PS4 games in the next few years. 

apart from that, it’s blind luck finding proper retro stuff these days anywhere outside of communities like this. 

Pretty much got everything I want already having mainly got it all from Car boot sales and Ebay over the years.

Now, I am more into emulation for stuff that is too expensive and also I am buying more devices/gadgets

e.g. android boxes, handhelds etc...

3 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I agree. You even find people

doing repros of covers. As soon as someone is able to do disc based boxes (N64 boxes and carts already exist), manuals and especially the CDs then prices surely have to fall. I’m surprised some company hasn’t tried to get the rights to remake Saturn games etc. I actually hope it happens as if it looks and feels the same who cares if the physical game product was made in 1999 or 2020.

The most disappointing thing about buying 30+ year old games is they look 30+ years old. I'd love to be able to buy looking brand new and shiny. 

3 minutes ago, strider said:

I've been buying all my NTSC N64 games from here, eBay UK or Twitter. It's been an absolute ball ache because it's simply too expensive to buy directly from the US anymore. 

Customs have gotten very sharp with me in recent years. Nothing flies under the radar now, unless it's specifically undervalued by the seller. (Not that I ever ask for this!)

1 minute ago, DeciderVT said:

Customs have gotten very sharp with me in recent years. Nothing flies under the radar now, unless it's specifically undervalued by the seller. (Not that I ever ask for this!)

It's annoying. You end up paying more than what something's worth because more people are after the games. It's been one of the few times I genuinely wish I could stomach playing PAL games as they prices can be up to five times cheaper.

I'm giving up on buying Saturn games and have bought a MODE. 

I mean, it costs 180 quid + a decent sized sata drive. Thats the same price as a couple of desirable games for the Saturn but it will play literally everything. I've gone the same route for my Dreamcast with a GDEMU clone and they cost next to nothing.

Saturn / Dreamcast cases and pretty much any optical media are ticking time bombs. I've a few mega CD titles that are succumbing to disk rot.

Dreamcast cases should be ejected into orbit and fired off into the sun. I've had brand new games in the past that have buckled and broke with hardly any effort, there's no way Sega didn't see that when they were choosing them. They are trash.

22 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Are you going to do this in every thread? As soon as I saw you posting in here I just knew you'd have something snarky to say about flash carts. It's like clockwork, and why we end up in tedious, cyclical discussions about stuff like FPGAs in hardware threads.

You moan about having to look at rom chips on carts to prove a game is genuine and in the next sentence talk about everdrives.

Its trying to have your cake and eat it - i guess that's why you post the above, you do not like your hypocrisy pointed out to you.

You love playing on original hardware, and fake the games. Its all good. Do what you like.

20 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I actually hope it happens as if it looks and feels the same who cares if the physical game product was made in 1999 or 2020.

That's an interesting point - does it matter to you if it was made in the 80s or 90s or if it is a reproduction copy made in 2020?

Just now, ulala said:

You moan about having to look at rom chips on carts to prove a game is genuine and in the next sentence talk about everdrives.

That's not what I said at all. I said that when I last checked in I was surprised that the market had deteriorated to the point where people now have to openly demonstrate that their carts were genuine. I use an SD2SNES for some things now because I don't particularly want to go through the hassle of importing something, paying customs fees or returning an item internationally if it's fake or there's something else wrong with it. As pointed out elsewhere in the thread, importing has once again become an expensive process and one that has left me out of pocket when something goes wrong. If it's something I really want, I'll still go to the trouble of saving up and sourcing a copy in the best condition I can find. My days of taking a punt on something I'm not particularly passionate about are over though. If "having my cake and eating it" is saving me time, money and hassle, then so be it.

I were in the same position as the OP now, using flash carts would be a saner and more cost effective solution than chasing down my previous collection.

i guess that's why you post the above, you do not like your hypocrisy pointed out to you.

I didn't appreciate your pointless and predictable snarky remark. Lecturing me on how easy it is to open a SNES cart is exactly the sort of tedious pedantry I found tiresome and you have form for it. I'll ignore the rest though, much of what you've posted ("faking" games, etc.) has clearly been phrased to provoke a response.

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

I'm giving up on buying Saturn games and have bought a MODE. 

I mean, it costs 180 quid + a decent sized sata drive. Thats the same price as a couple of desirable games for the Saturn but it will play literally everything. I've gone the same route for my Dreamcast with a GDEMU clone and they cost next to nothing.

Saturn / Dreamcast cases and pretty much any optical media are ticking time bombs. I've a few mega CD titles that are succumbing to disk rot.

Fenrir looks like a good option for Saturn too. It's a lot cheaper too. 20-pin drive only at the moment though.

1 hour ago, ulala said:

You love playing on original hardware, and fake the games.

Which can be a really good combination. Look at:

DivMMC on Spectrum

1541Ultimate on a C64

These are a great way to instantly load games instead of waiting 5 minutes for tapes to load or dealing with increasingly fragile disks. Also, bug-fixed versions of games and new games not available on physical media.

Flash carts on consoles give you access to translated games and fixes: e.g.;

Weatern releases that had difficulty tampered with

Palette fixes

Then you've got stuff like PAL60 versions of Atari 2600 games which give you the 60hz versions of games on a PAL console without the fucked up colours.

If you're really not interested in these then you're missing out on a really good part of modern retro gaming.

18 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

The most disappointing thing about buying 30+ year old games is they look 30+ years old. I'd love to be able to buy looking brand new and shiny. 

I don’t mind things having a bit of wear, it adds to the nostalgia, that it’s ‘really old’. I don’t want it completely knackered of course.

I use a mix of eBay, retro shops, forums and FB groups. Actually one of my best sources is a guy I have on my FB friends list who lives in Japan sells JPN retro stuff. He puts his stuff on his wall before he puts on his website or eBay.

I like to collect but I’m not in a rush so can wait for something at the right price (as a ratio to what I generally see a game for).